Another Restored Model - 1/72 Matchbox/Revell Bristol Beaufighter

I’m happy to say I’ve finished this Beaufighter.

I saw it on eBay requiring attention - which was a bit of an understatement!! I had the Matchbox release about 35 years ago. I remember building it and painting it with Humbrol paints. the extra dark sea grey went on very well without any brush strokes showing. Alas, it was destroyed with all of my other models when my brothers test flew the lot out of an upstairs window - I may have mentioned that once or twice!

Here’s how I bought it.

iB3D8U6.jpg
oeH9E7v.jpg

4EzzVEM.jpg.

Heres the WIP

The propellers and  landing gear have been replaced with items that I’ve 3D printed. Despite trying Revell and Airfix, neither had a replacement canopy available (the original was broken and glue smeared. Instead, I purchased a Falcon Canopy set from Hannants. 
The rebuild was fairly straightforward - being a re-released version of the original Matchbox kit.

I tried out this weathering malarkey for the first time and I have to say there’s room for improvement, but overall I’m happy with it.

I depicted it minus it’s rockets and cannon ports uncovered as though it had just returned from a mission.

The finished model...

pYUA9BI.jpg
4hSp3ti.jpg

1lhgYYc.jpg
6Sb1R6o.jpg
wg77xe9.jpg

And finally with another of my ‘interests’ as a kid which I found on eBay 

V1PfAo4.jpg

Now to find room for it in my cabinet and decide what to do next....

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Very nice,...... I`ve had a few old Matchbox kits like that in my time,...... but you have really done a good job tarting the old girl up,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great results considering whatvwas at the start.   Enjoyed your WIP.  It brought back great memories of the 70s Matchbox catalogues, I remember seeing the Beau in one as a youngster.

Great work and thanks for the memories. 

Chris 

:thanks:

You’re welcome Chris

• Like 1

Fantastic job with the Beaufighter!  Posts like yours are inspiring me to try my hand at "Restoring" a model.    I happened to see at a local antique/auction shop a 1/72 Monogram B-52 up for bid.     I had forgotten how large it was - my HS friend having had one hanging from the ceiling in 1981.        I have bid $5 for the Monster (and likely to win, I think).   It was painted fairly well for the time it was made, but clearly could be substantially reworked.    If I obtain it, I will post on forum to find out the best way to perform some Massive Paintstripping.....

5 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Truly a silk purse made from a sow's ear.   Well done!

Looks like you still have some framing to do on the gunner's canopy?

Rgds

Martin 

Yes, that’s correct. The photos were taken shortly after the canopy was fitted. 
I’ll paint it the time I’ve got that colour out and I remember......

• Like 1