A Christmas Fairey ---------- 1/72 Frog Gannet COD4

This is the Frog Gannet converted to a COD4 by removing the radar.

spacer.png

She depicts XG786, HMS Ark Royal 1965 as used by the Flag Office Aircraft Carriers (FOAC).  The decals are from Modeldecals sheet 18 and went down well.  The wire antennae are an example of why I don't do biplanes!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Comments, criticism and advice welcome.

David

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Nicely done, David. There's nothing better for Christmas than an old Frog kit beautifully rendered by a skilled modeller! And a Gannet at that - surely a sign that 2021 will be a marked improvement over 2020.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely Gannet David, it looks fantastic.   Can I ask did the prop discs come with the kit or did you make, they look fab.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks.  The discs are homemade using templates provided by a fellow modeller.  I print them directly onto overhead projector film.  PM me if you want more detail.

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Merry Christmas!  Nicely done makeover for the FROG kit.  I had no idea these aircraft were employed for COD.  How many passengers could they carry at a time when so configured?

Thanks.  I am no expert but I suspect the COD version may only have had the original 3 seats and no more although removal of the radar, etc. should have freed up some space.  It probably carried cargo in its bomb bay and I think I read that the 'drop tanks' were cargo carriers too but I'm not sure.

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, David Womby said:

Thanks.  The discs are homemade using templates provided by a fellow modeller.  I print them directly onto overhead projector film.  PM me if you want more detail.

Thanks David , yours certainly look very effective indeed and that's certainly interesting re the printing onto overhead projector film.  I wondered if they were in the kit or not?  There were some kits that had them in years ago and then they stopped them .  Not seen one with a clear prop in since.  I may try and do one at some point but I will paint using thinned enamels with a brush to see how it comes out? 

Thanks again and hope you are having a Merry and safe Christmas

Chris

A blast from the past ,remember building this when purchased with my pocket money in the late 1960s .I must say you are to be congratulated on a fine piece of modelling. 

• Thanks 1