1/72nd Airfix Gladiator, 80 Sqn, Egypt 1939

Hiya Folks and hope you are having a Very Merry Christmas!

I have been building this one for over a year,..... it is jinxed,...... beautiful kit by Airfix,...... but this one was cursed!! It has fallen off tables, broken into pieces, had parts go missing,.... the full works,...... but last night I got it over the line and I`ve taken some pics quickly before it has another mishap!

Since buying the photos seen below depicting 80 Sqn Gladiators in Egypt in 1939 before war broke out with Italy in 1940,..... I have wanted to build a model of one,.... especially with the change from silver finish to camouflage and the roundels roughly overpainted,... with some of the white ring still showing through;

raf-ww2-gladiator-80-squadron-360-b5ba42

gladiator-80-sqn-gk.jpg

Using this decal sheet;

PPD-72004.jpgPPD-72004-1.jpg

And here is the model..... brush painted as usual,..... using Humbrol paints apart from the white underside half which was done using a rattle can and the A Type fuselage roundel was roughly converted to a B Type using a fine brush and White Ensign Roundel Blue (thanks Ben!), trying to keep the original small red dot visible!. Oh and yes,....I`ve rigged the tail wrong,...doh,....just realised,...thought it looked wrong,...... told you it was jinxed;

DSCF9390-NEW.jpg

DSCF9375-NEW.jpg

DSCF9376-NEW.jpg

DSCF9379-NEW.jpg

DSCF9380-NEW.jpg

DSCF9382-NEW.jpg

DSCF9383-NEW.jpg

DSCF9384-NEW.jpg

DSCF9389-NEW.jpg

DSCF9391-NEW.jpg

Cheers everybody and Merry Christmas again,... Airfix have produced another stunning little kit here,....... it would be brilliant in 1/48th too!

All the best,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 66
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, swralph said:

Very nice build Tony.😀

Cheers mate.

18 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Super build Tony.  And a Merry Christmas to you too!

Thanks John,..... have a good one,

15 minutes ago, JWM said:

Very nice looking Gladiator! 

Some African Gladiators have and some does not have shadow shading. Was any rule with it? 

Regards and Merry Christmas!

J-W

Thanks J-W,..... those repainted in the field at unit level by the RAF often had the basic 2 colour scheme,..... those done by MU`s had the official scheme. 80 Sqn in Egypt painted their own aircraft,....... they were probably not even aware of a 4 colour shadow scheme? Orders from group to re camouflage silver aircraft in Dark Earth and Dark Green would probably have been issued?   The SAAF received its Gladiator`s from RAF stocks and they came with whatever scheme was applied,..... some even had Sky rear fuselage bands! 

All the best mate,.. Merry Christmas

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

Very nice also in this camouflage sceme. One of my favorite British planes!

thx for sharing 

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy,...... yeah a lovely aeroplane the old Glad. 

Cheers

Tony

Merry Christmas Tony, I hope all is well with you and yours 

That's a lovely looking Gladiator, as usual, mainting your superb standards of modelling. 

I haven't seen that sheet of markings before. I feel a hunt coming on! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cngaero said:

Merry Christmas Tony, I hope all is well with you and yours 

That's a lovely looking Gladiator, as usual, mainting your superb standards of modelling. 

I haven't seen that sheet of markings before. I feel a hunt coming on! 

Merry Christmas Chris,..... yeah having a lovely day,.... full as a chip now though and fit to pop! 

Good luck finding the sheet,..... hope you get one,..... they have others on the early Hurricane and RAF over Greece too.

25 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Another excellent model Tony, I have one of these to do, must get another too.  Great work fella and great perseverance to get this over the line too.

Hope you are having a very Merry and safe Christmas. 

Chris

Thanks Chris and Merry Christmas to you too,.... yeah having a lovely day thanks, couldn`t ask for better in fact. The Airfix Gladiator is a little gem mate.  

• Like 1

Painting and weathering are the toughest part of any build for me. It’s great seeing it done so well, especially in 1/72 which I build exclusively. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Merry Christmas Chris,..... yeah having a lovely day,.... full as a chip now though and fit to pop! 

Good luck finding the sheet,..... hope you get one,..... they have others on the early Hurricane and RAF over Greece too.

Thanks fella, glad you'rehaving a good day.  I have the RAF over Greece sheet. Will have to dig out the kit and place it near the top of the stash now.  

Have a great evening Tony. 

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abat said:

Painting and weathering are the toughest part of any build for me. It’s great seeing it done so well, especially in 1/72 which I build exclusively. 

Thanks mate,...... less is more I suppose,....... more thin coats rather than a few thicker ones,....... and I always apply as little paint as possible.With weathering look at the real thing first and see where the wear takes place,..... too many models look like they belong in a scrap heap! Just keep practicing and it will all come together,.... we are all learning!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks fella, glad you'rehaving a good day.  I have the RAF over Greece sheet. Will have to dig out the kit and place it near the top of the stash now.  

Have a great evening Tony. 

Chris

Nice one,..... yeah some good subjects on that. Yeah you too pal,...... I`m going to work off some of my dinner and have a snooze I think!!

Tony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

A perfectly built Gladiator! I like your choice of the early war paint scheme. 👍

Thanks mate,...... I wouldn`t say perfectly built,..... there are plenty of mistakes if you look closely!  I`ve got a few more planned but I just hate the rigging! 

3 hours ago, David Womby said:

Lovely job on that one, Tony.

David

Thanks David.

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

Cheers mate. 

Lovely job as usual Tony, I agree that some kits are cursed - I've had a few in my time!

Interesting to see this, I've just finished reading Roald Dahl's 'going solo', he was with 80 squadron flying Gladiators at the time, and was severely injured after crash landing in rock strewn desert. He recovered and rejoined 80 Sqn in Greece on Hurricanes. I'm forming an idea that these might make a nice pair of models.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

At least i know iam not the only one suffering from bad luck when trying to finish a kit.The carpet monster is my main problem .

Anyway you have to be congratulated on a fine model.

• Like 1