Trumpeter MiG-23MF

Hello everyone,

first of all - I wish you a (belated) Merry Christmas, stay safe, stay healthy and I hope you find a great many kits under your trees 🎄🎁

Today I want to show my MiG-23MF Flogger B from Trumpeter in 1/48 I put together earlier this year. It was a highly enjoyable build, no major fitment issues, some rough spots around the intakes but it went together nicely. Even the worlds most complicated main landing gear, that's almost a separate kit in this kit. Very nice details on this kit too. Had a lot of fun building this bird. It is completely OOB, too.
The only bigger "problem" I encountered with it and I still don't know if it was my fault or if something was wrong with this kit, as I got it from the "pile of shame" in my local store for almost next to nothing, after I finally glued the fuselage together, the wing sweep mechanism wouldn't work anymore. During several dry fittings it worked fine but later the wings would lift the upper part up. As if something was askew inside the mechanism. So the wings are solid in the forward sweep position now.

I also put in some little "artistic freedom" into the painting.  This particular plane - the Polish Airforce "Numer Taktyczny 139" was painted in a three greens camo I didn't really like, so I went for one of the other camos the Polish AF used on their MiG-23's and went with a reddish brown and two greens. Technically the colors are not totally wrong, just this particular plane never wore them but as mentioned before I got the kit very cheaply and new decals would probably have been more expensive, so...yeah...no :D
But also the colors are mixed together so there is probably everything wrong with them anyway :D  I used mostly Vallejo and Tamiya paints.
I also applied the usual weathering with pigments, but also used diluted oil paints for the first time here and there, just wanted to try something new.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 40

Excellent results with this one!!!!!  We 72nd scalers certainly could use a modern tooled version of the Mig-23 / 27.  I like the way this one has turned out.  Very nice  :like:

Mike

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Excellent results with this one!!!!!  We 72nd scalers certainly could use a modern tooled version of the Mig-23 / 27.  I like the way this one has turned out.  Very nice  :like:

Mike

Thanks, Mike! :)
Yeah I always wondered, why Trumpeter/ HB never did a 1/72 scale MiG-23/27. They scale almost everything down. Even Zvezda isn't really touching that subject. Is the MiG-23 so unpopular? 🤔

2 minutes ago, swralph said:

Lovely build and painting.😀

I had the same problem with mine so glued it in the forward sweep as you did.

Thank  you! :)
Oh ok...so it seems to be the kit then.

• Like 1

Really nice job on the Trumpeter MiG-23.  The colours look good even if not 100% authentic

On 12/25/2020 at 10:04 AM, Sky Keg said:

Mike

Clear Prop are promising a MiG-23MLD in 2021 - here's hoping!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MrProd said:

I wouldn't care about the colours, it look great. 

Good to hear no big fit issues, I'm seriously considering a Mig-27 from trumpeter. 

I would go for it, it really is not bad at all. I'm thinking about adding a late MiG-23 to my collection. The MLD with the big countermeasure dispensers looks sexy IMO :)