Academy 1/72 B-17D Flying Fortress

On 25/12/2020 at 11:16, tomthounaojam said:

Thank you very much, mate, necessity is the mother of old creation, now I have a F-14 to restore and thinking to do a Lancaster after that.

Thanks Swralph.
More pictures

DSC-8529.jpg

DSC-8533.jpg

DSC-8542.jpg

DSC-8547.jpg

Really nice! I love a fortress! Was the vinegar you used white or brown and what proportions did you use to dilute it? if indeed you did?. the metal finish looks pretty good and the natural light in your pictures really shows it off to best advantage. Thank you for sharing! Andy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Hello David, which Mr color are using there are two type solvent and water, I have used both. I have noticed that sometime primer can be a problematic and I seldom use primer on my models and it tend to registered well, I also use a thin layer of future about 30% and 70% water and keep dried, once it is I apply another coat of silver and it tend to hold pretty well no problem.

Much appreciated Dennis, Look forward to your build. Cheers

Tom, i've been using the Mr Color H8 Silver lacquer that i thin with Mr Leveling Thinner. I did extensive testing to re create the silver lacquer found on P-51 Mustang wings. i can share my test results if you are interested.

-d-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Really nice! I love a fortress! Was the vinegar you used white or brown and what proportions did you use to dilute it? if indeed you did?. the metal finish looks pretty good and the natural light in your pictures really shows it off to best advantage. Thank you for sharing! Andy

@Col Walter E Kurtz Firstly thank you very much for the kind words, the one i used is white and cost about 1$ here, for other decals I used about 70-30 but for Academy the old one about 100% they are tough guys. For natural metal finish I always believe natural sunlight it give a whole new meaning to it, a warm sunny day help a lot too. Shooting indoor yes, give you the proper lines and details of the model but still look like a model but when you shoot outdoor sure look a real one. Cheers Andy

8 hours ago, burncpt said:

Nice unusual clean look! As an aside, try saying "Captain Colin Kelly" a few times quickly after some holiday beverages... :D

haha, I am sure gonna do that "Captain Colin Kelly" this weekend and will let you know. Much appreciated for the words.

6 hours ago, David H said:

Tom, i've been using the Mr Color H8 Silver lacquer that i thin with Mr Leveling Thinner. I did extensive testing to re create the silver lacquer found on P-51 Mustang wings. i can share my test results if you are interested.

-d-

@David H it would be really nice to see what you have done, it is always learning experience please do share. H8 Silver is a gem of a paint one of my favorite.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a lovely B-17 Tom, the sort of NM finish I would shy away from & you've nailed it so well. I liked the B-29 too, much as I'd love a 1/72 one, there is no way I'd have enough room for it so I've bought a 1/144 one, now to find some hump markings for it. :)

Steve.

@stevehnz Thank you so vey much, Yeah space is a bane for modelling community. I have one more in 72 scale and B-50 somewhere need to build one of these days and keep it here as I have some space. Even in 1/144 scale it would be still be a big one, look forward to seeing yours soon. Cheers and Best wishes for the New Year.

9 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Superbly done indeed! :clap:

Miguel

Thank you Mate, cheers

• Like 1