Academy 1/72 B-17D Flying Fortress

Season Greetings,

I had this kit for almost a decade and never had the chance to build it as there was no space in my apartment in Mumbai, back home I have some space so after completing the B-29 Lady Boomerang I decided to give it a go. The built was fairly simply not much fuss just for some clear parts that one has to be little careful, there was one missing part but I can live with it. For painting, I use the Mr.Hobby silver 8 but due to lack of paints here I used black to the silver to give some panel modulation and brown and red for exhaust. The most feared part of the kit was the Decals, these were pre-Catograf decals and I had a rough time so I needed as a solution but I was no were to any decal softener so I used, Vinegar Yes vinegar I used two-three type and settle to a local one which gave some softening effect and when I applied to the aircraft it works quite satisfactory. Head this aircraft was flown by famous aviator of the early day Captain Colin Kelly.
thank you

DSC-8514.jpg

DSC-8518.jpg

DSC-8524.jpg

DSC-8509.jpg

DSC-8512.jpg
DSC-8508.jpg
The two siblings

• Like 68
  • Thanks 1

Great metalwork :)  I love the early-style tail of the C/D models.

That last pic really shows off both the reflections on the wing and the relative size compared to the B-29

Good one on the vinegar btw. Home-made MicroSet/Sol :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Great metalwork :)  I love the early-style tail of the C/D models.

That last pic really shows off both the reflections on the wing and the relative size compared to the B-29

Good one on the vinegar btw. Home-made MicroSet/Sol :P 

Thank you very much, mate, necessity is the mother of old creation, now I have a F-14 to restore and thinking to do a Lancaster after that.

55 minutes ago, swralph said:

Beautiful build.😀

Thanks Swralph.
More pictures

DSC-8529.jpg

DSC-8533.jpg

DSC-8542.jpg

DSC-8547.jpg

• Like 18

Wonderful early Fortress! I love the way you finished the pre-war surface aluminium. It looks contradictory in a way to see an early B-17 in natural metal and a B-29 in OD - an interesting contrast. The difference in size is also striking, I wouldn't have thought that the B-29 is so much larger.

• Like 1

@tomthounaojam

The shark fin B-17's are so pretty, and your build and finish is outstanding! Amazing comparison between the Fort and the Superfort, too! BTW @Doc72, one of the  main ingredients in most decal softening solutions is a weak concentration of acetic acid, which is also found in vinegar, thus the very similar aroma. Some croutons, lettuce, and tomatoes and decal softener and you've got a salad! :giggle:

Mike

• Like 1

Beautifully done!  Yes, the Fortress is actually surprisingly small in 1/72, despite giving the impression of enormity.  Display it in juxtaposition with a B-29 (in this case) or even a Lancaster, and you'll see what I mean.  I love the creative use of black to get different panel shades.  It's an old school approach that works well, and you've done a masterful job.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Toryu said:

Wonderful early Fortress! I love the way you finished the pre-war surface aluminium. It looks contradictory in a way to see an early B-17 in natural metal and a B-29 in OD - an interesting contrast. The difference in size is also striking, I wouldn't have thought that the B-29 is so much larger.

Thank you Toryu, I always wanted to have a b-17 in my collections but space was always a problem now that is gone, decided to built it. Yeah pre war B-17 has it charm, later one too but there were too many of them and many choices as well. The one you often see in Silver I made it into OD and OD into silver. Cheers

13 hours ago, SAT69 said:

You work magic with plastic and paint. Very well done!

You are very kind, though the years learned many tips and tricks from this forum and that has helped me a lot, cheers

13 hours ago, Doc72 said:

It looked fantastic, especially the nmf.

Some decal softener smell a lot like vinegar, so I am not surprised that vinegar works as such. But it still takes courage to try it out

Hehe, i guess fortune favor the brave, Much appreciated for the kind words.

12 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

Excellent pre-war B-17 Fortress! 👍

Thank you 112 SQ

12 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Oooh, shiineey

indeed it is, Cheers

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Great finishing on it. Always like the look of the first B-17s.

Much appreciated, cheers

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@tomthounaojam

The shark fin B-17's are so pretty, and your build and finish is outstanding! Amazing comparison between the Fort and the Superfort, too! BTW @Doc72, one of the  main ingredients in most decal softening solutions is a weak concentration of acetic acid, which is also found in vinegar, thus the very similar aroma. Some croutons, lettuce, and tomatoes and decal softener and you've got a salad! :giggle:

Mike

Thank you for the kind words, have built these two model in one of the toughest time, some personals lost however, doing little bit of hobby keep the grieve away. aha, learned something new, cheers, bud.

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done!  Yes, the Fortress is actually surprisingly small in 1/72, despite giving the impression of enormity.  Display it in juxtaposition with a B-29 (in this case) or even a Lancaster, and you'll see what I mean.  I love the creative use of black to get different panel shades.  It's an old school approach that works well, and you've done a masterful job.

Thank you, I have a plan to built a Lancaster, wonder which one to built I like 617 but don't have the marking or the bugled bomb bay so have to stick with something generic. Yeah, this modulation is quick and easy way for variation, just need to remember the mixing amount but with beers and whiskey can be tricky as well. cheers

7 hours ago, Steve27752 said:

Exceptional.

Thank you

6 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely work. You've used your modelling skills to good effect on that kit & produced a superb B-17. 

Pete

Much appreciated Pete, cheers

6 hours ago, Learstang said:

Excellent work on the B-17 (and B-29)! It is interesting to see a B-29 done in the OD over Neutral Gray.

Regards,

Jason

indeed, the contrast is nice sight, Much appreciated for the kind words, cheers

3 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

Love it, beautiful bird

Thank you, cheers mate

2 hours ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

Thank you, RMCS cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David H said:

Tom, i've been doing a lot of testing with Mr Color H8 Silver recently. How well did it hold up to masking while you were putting on the different shades??

Hello David, which Mr color are using there are two type solvent and water, I have used both. I have noticed that sometime primer can be a problematic and I seldom use primer on my models and it tend to registered well, I also use a thin layer of future about 30% and 70% water and keep dried, once it is I apply another coat of silver and it tend to hold pretty well no problem.

1 minute ago, DennisTheBear said:

Noice! Gives me hope that mine will turn out as nicely.

DennisTheBear

Much appreciated Dennis, Look forward to your build. Cheers

That is a lovely B-17 Tom, the sort of NM finish I would shy away from & you've nailed it so well. I liked the B-29 too, much as I'd love a 1/72 one, there is no way I'd have enough room for it so I've bought a 1/144 one, now to find some hump markings for it. :)

Steve.

• Like 1