1982 BB-62 New Jersey 1/350

Here are a few photos of a recent shelter-in-place ship build, Tamiya’s 1/350 New Jersey circa 1982. I bought this older issue kit at a model swap meet for $40 USD about 10 yrs ago when I first got back into the hobby and since then added a WEM PE set, brass barrels and chains, an Artworx wood deck and an Infini PE Tomahawk cruise missile launcher, all ordered thru the years with the intent of building this as a “practice ship”. I’ve built several 1/350 ships before this one but none with a wood deck so I thought I’d do this one as a wooden deck learning exercise. I have a Hasegawa Nagato with a wood deck + other goodies in my stash but wanted more 1/350 ship building experience before tackling it. I’m not into modern ships so I figured no great loss (other than $$) if I screwed this up. I used Tamiya acrylics for paint and minimal weathering other than a light oil wash on the upper deck areas.

What I learned: the Artworx wood decking was a breeze to install. I understand and agree with others who have said it’s way over scaled but bob-oh-boy does it impress non-scale modelers (makes it visually scream “museum piece” even when it’s not!). I’m sold on laser cut wooden decks!

This build also reminded me to avoid using 40 year old decals (I knew this already but figured what the heck, it’s a practice ship!).

John

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 28

Lovely.  

I have a soft spot for New Jersey, since she was in Subic Bay when I visited in 1988 (Ark Royal).  They were unbelievably hospitable - when we sailed she dame with us and laid on a firepower demo; I still have photos somewhere.

You have really done her justice!