Pyro U.S.S. Constellation build

This is the Life-Like Hobby Kits reissue of Pyro’s U.S.S. Constellation model from 1966.

DNES8fr.jpg

The U.S.S. Constellation is a sloop-of-war, the last sail-only warship built for the United States Navy. Commissioned in 1855, she served for close to a century before finally being retired in 1954. During her long career Constellation performed a wide variety of duties including trade protection, Civil War blockade duty, cargo transport, and as a training ship. She brought humanitarian relief for the 1879 Irish famine, and even served as the reserve flagship for the then-Commander in Chief of the Atlantic Fleet, Admiral Ernest J. King, in 1941. Perhaps Constellation’s most significant contribution was early in her career with the slave trade patrol, during which she captured three slave ships and freed a total of 705 slaves. She is now preserved as a museum ship in Baltimore, Maryland.

hu8NuS0.jpg

I happened to pick up a rather battered copy of the kit on the cheap a while back, but the real appeal of this model is as a reminder of a trip to Washington, D.C. and Baltimore with my dad a few years ago (that’s him in the foreground). We made the trip without the wives or kids, so we were able to do all the “boring” guy activities – USS Constellation, National Museum of the U.S. Navy at the Washington Navy Yard, USCG Taney, the Chesapeake light ship, junk food dinners every night – without fear of trying the patience of loved ones. It was great! 

9Xr7WY3.jpg

CZGQvTG.jpg

v18swZT.jpg

yRxceRj.jpg

jLb1qdZ.jpg

5ig0s2P.jpg

This model will be a Christmas gift for my dad. 

🤗

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Incredibly beautiful!

Are the ratlines and rigging from the kit or your own additions?

Ps. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in the little corner of the world i call home. 

If anybody reading this ever considers visiting the Constellation, I thoroughly recommend it. It is a fantastic museum ship.