Time For Bed Said Zebedee - Revell 1/72 Shackleton A.E.W. 2

AliGauld

Yes, the nacelles/cowlings could be a bit manky, as the Griffons were notoriously leaky on the Shack and put out a ton of exhaust.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Small change.
  • Like 1

Just now, Learstang said:

Yes, the nacelles/cowlings could be a bit manky, as the Griffons were notoriously leaky on the Shack and put out a ton of exhaust.

Best Regards,

Jason

From what I recall in comparison to the MR2, the AEW2 showed only the lightest smearing of exhaust staining over the top of the wing but I'm not 100% certain on that.

I'm sure sharper intellects will enlighten me as I can't find much in the way of photos of top of the wings.

Cheers,

Alistair

The real difference was when the individual exhaust stubs were replaced with the MR-3-type exhaust tubes. This stopped the tremendous staining on the tops (and bottoms) of the wings that had characterised the MR.1s and MR.2s with the individual exhaust stubs. I believe this change was affected on the MR.2s between the Phase II and Phase III modifications. Some T.4s (trainer versions of the MR.1) also received the MR.3-type tubes. Even with the tubes, there was still some exhaust staining, on the nacelles, but not nearly as much as before. Of course these tubes did nothing to stop the Griffons from their prodigious leaking.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Learstang said:

The real difference was when the individual exhaust stubs were replaced with the MR-3-type exhaust tubes. This stopped the tremendous staining on the tops (and bottoms) of the wings that had characterised the MR.1s and MR.2s with the individual exhaust stubs. I believe this change was affected on the MR.2s between the Phase II and Phase III modifications. Some T.4s (trainer versions of the MR.1) also received the MR.3-type tubes. Even with the tubes, there was still some exhaust staining, on the nacelles, but not nearly as much as before. Of course these tubes did nothing to stop the Griffons from their prodigious leaking.

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks very much for this.

The Griffons certainly could leak a bit.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

I've been itching to get on with this for the last two days at work. Still got tomorrow to go but as I had some time tonight and wasn't feeling too sleep deprived we have this

UOuLvyT.jpg

73PUZsb.jpg

Flory Dark Dirt Wash applied and allowed to dry.

vrGI3ZE.jpg

vsO0w8z.jpg

CuNhjaX.jpg

aEwmy4K.jpg

hzGpCsL.jpg

cvFDMvw.jpg

X1ie0Db.jpg

2orOqyf.jpg

Since the photos showed some bits that I hadn't cleaned properly these have since been done.

I think I have hit the effect I wanted, not dirty but the surface detail now showing more clearly.

I'm off on Friday so will have a good look in daylight. If I think it needs knocking back a bit then I've got plenty of saliva.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Learstang said:

Well, if seeing the excellent job you're doing on your AEW.2 doesn't get me back to working on mine, I don't know what will. Great work!

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks again, Jason,

I think you're being too kind as well but the encouragement and help that you and others have given me on this journey has been more that gratefully received.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking the part Alistair.

That wash has definitely brought the details and panel lines out very nicely without over doing it.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

I'll have a good look in proper daylight tomorrow to see if there's any bits of wash I've missed but I hope the final effect will be noticeable but not overpowering.

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

+1 for the wash. It looks splendid.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks so much for your kind comment.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks Good Alistair with the wash it has brought out the details a lot better.

Great job

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I think I'm at the stage that fear of messing up is more powerful than any plans I might have made.

The beauty of the Flory Wash is if I don't like it it can be washed off completely.

Bay and Undercarriage doors will be washed tomorrow.

I'll look at the spinners again and see if I can improve on them but I think the end may be nigh.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Not a particularly productive day so far. Life got in the way.

But stuff has happened.

She's up on her feet.

JYdFPxm.jpg

5zGtMhF.jpg

0RkSeDX.jpg

MFSoaO9.jpg

oQyKN1o.jpg

Qr39Gkc.jpg

The kit wheels have been dry fitted just now as the resin ones are skinnier and will require immediate gluing to keep them on and the wheels will make putting the top satin coat on so much easier.

Other little finicky bits have been painted to be stuck on at the last moment.

uvMZF6C.jpg

M8flxiz.jpg

uUcJPr8.jpg

nQsOrki.jpg

The exhausts have finally been given a coat of paint but I'm going to do a wee bit oh photo checking to see how they look on the real thing before I stick them on.

zDyOcoN.jpg

fBSmXPg.jpg

The spinners were given another fill, sand and paint as I wasn't happy with the previous result.

fw1rV1S.jpg

They look a lot better now.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

While I was cooking the Korma for tonight.

f5w7vwM.jpg

I got the propellers attached,

V5QE9bU.jpg

NNC2UA8.jpg

Now, She's starting to look like a Shack.

I may not be home and dry buy I think I could be said to be home and vigorously towelling off.

I hope to get the little sticky out bits on later to allow a satin coat tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 6

Nice to see the Grey Lady on her feet, Alistair! Why I've even pulled my semi-completed AEW.2 off the shelf to maybe do a bit of work on her! And now that the power situation has stabilised here in snowy Texas, I've started work again on my Shackleton book (sure to be a best-seller, and I hope to have it turned into a Broadway musical!).

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking great Alistair,  I hope the hot pan didn't get to near the model !!!

Great work 

Chris

Nah, I kept them on opposite sides of the kitchen.

I learned stuff like that the hard way.

2 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Nice to see the Grey Lady on her feet, Alistair! Why I've even pulled my semi-completed AEW.2 off the shelf to maybe do a bit of work on her!

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason,

I'm glad you're going for it. I know everyone would love to see the results.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Believe me, I'd love to see mine finished, also!

Best Regards,

Jason

I know you'll get there but researching and writing your excellent books must take up an awful lot of time.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

Finicky sticky out bits have been applied.

7qpuVQs.jpg

1IBuaGK.jpg

vWMHUjX.jpg

6sK1FUa.jpg

A satin coat should be applied tomorrow and if things dry and I have time then I'll attempt to mask off the nose and matt coat it.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm liking the look of that very much… I may have to extend my 'theme' a little … :) 

Thanks so much,

I think a Shackleton would look rather good flying in tandem with that marvellous Nimrod of yours.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Finicky sticky out bits have been applied.

7qpuVQs.jpg

1IBuaGK.jpg

vWMHUjX.jpg

6sK1FUa.jpg

A satin coat should be applied tomorrow and if things dry and I have time then I'll attempt to mask off the nose and matt coat it.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi Alistair,           what I like about this build is that you added a lot of extras, going that extra mile to separate yours from the plethora of Shacks on the horizon, even throwing the kitchen sink at it.     😃       Coming along nicely.     😉

• Haha 2