Time For Bed Said Zebedee - Revell 1/72 Shackleton A.E.W. 2

AliGauld

Finally managed to catch up with your build now that I can view images again ....... great progress. Your perseverance with the seams has certainly paid off. Have you ordered a tanker load of paint yet?

Q

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Quack said:

Finally managed to catch up with your build now that I can view images again ....... great progress. Your perseverance with the seams has certainly paid off. Have you ordered a tanker load of paint yet?

Q

Hi there,

I saw you were having issues with imgur. Glad to have you back.

Thanks very much for your kind comment.

I did some rescribing and riveting last night, so, I just need to mask and fit the rear clear bit, build the nacelles, fit them and then we should be into paint.

I have enough primer to float a battleship and three full tins of Colourcoats Dark Sea Grey which should be more than enough. I hope 😨.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Well done Alistair for persevering with those seams, I am dreading closing up the Lanc I am building but plenty of filler / gloop is to hand.

I will sit in on this one even though she a long way built.

Simon. 

Hi Simon,

Thanks for stopping by.

You'll be absolutely fine with the Lanc. Positive Waves Man Positive Waves.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Tailplanes fitted. Fit looks really good.

KXuYFLm.jpg

XVqznUr.jpg

dyJvO0I.jpg

It turned out my Eduard masking set was cut wrongly and half the pieces for the rear clear bit were missing so I had to do it myself. 

The rest will be filled with Maskol.

Next I built the nacelles and after some sanding I managed to get them into the wings.

pmuENr2.jpg

xqdLfHB.jpg

ggDlqyA.jpg

They're just dry fitted at the moment but some clamping and a smear or two of PPP should see them in place.

I couldn't resit a full dry fit, and Yes, there were "Vroom" noises involved.

le7HxYR.jpg

Mu4IrYG.jpg

qtgirZo.jpg

Again, the fit is really good. We'll see after glue.

Had to clear out of the Kitchen as my laddie is making Risotto.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

I knew it, you couldn't resist making the noises!!! We all do it.

The laughing emoji was for the engine noises.

Fuselage looking good and good to know tsilplanes fit well.  Wings and engines don't look half bad either.  This will be done in no time now.

Cracking Job

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I knew it, you couldn't resist making the noises!!! We all do it.

The laughing emoji was for the engine noises.

Fuselage looking good and good to know tsilplanes fit well.  Wings and engines don't look half bad either.  This will be done in no time now.

Cracking Job

Chris

Thanks very much Chris,

It's starting to come together and feels like I've progressed a bit.

Vroom noises are important they give meaning to it all.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

Excellent work, again! My experience was that the outer nacelles just snapped into place, at least where there they fit onto the lower wing surfaces, but the inner nacelles did involve a bit of fitting and fettling. Nothing serious - just a bit of modelling work involved.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Learstang said:

Excellent work, again! My experience was that the outer nacelles just snapped into place, at least where there they fit onto the lower wing surfaces, but the inner nacelles did involve a bit of fitting and fettling. Nothing serious - just a bit of modelling work involved.

Regards,

Jason

Many Thanks.

Yes the outer ones were fine but the inner undercarriage ones were the ones that needed a little sanding to the wings. Nothing much just a smidgen off either end of the opening.

I just kept trying a little until they dropped in snugly.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

That sounds a lot like my experience. I've yet to fit the fuselage halves on my Shack together - a bit of modeller's block, I suppose, as all I need to do to complete the interior is add the seats.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

I was cleaning up the nacelles and then this happened.

T9rRncf.jpg

41dmyrw.jpg

T0qGkx9.jpg

ln1KJtD.jpg

EB9ubSQ.jpg

Yes, Glue was involved and the wing to fuselage fit looks like it won't need any work. :yahoo:

She's a big girl. Shouldn't have been a surprise but it was a wee bit.

More Tomorrow.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 10

Nice work, Alistair! You are now officially ahead of where I am on my AEW.2. It's nice the see the wing/fuselage joint is a good one, as I'm soon (I hope) headed there.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Learstang said:

Nice work, Alistair! You are now officially ahead of where I am on my AEW.2. It's nice the see the wing/fuselage joint is a good one, as I'm soon (I hope) headed there.

Best Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

They just clipped in really nicely.

Pretty chuffed at the moment. Let's see how long that lasts.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Lots of good work on here & details to borrow.  Looking very good.  Always remember the sound of them.  I am going to have to use some of your interior shots for reference as I have a Sanger 1/48 one in the garage that I want to do this year 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bar side said:

Lots of good work on here & details to borrow.  Looking very good.  Always remember the sound of them.  I am going to have to use some of your interior shots for reference as I have a Sanger 1/48 one in the garage that I want to do this year 

Thanks very much.

It certainly was a sound like no other.

I don't know how accurate my internals are as a lot was done from  40ish year old memories.

The Sanger must be absolutely massive.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

It’s not small, but I got an MR.2 off eBay and then changed my mind and Sanger were nice enough to sell me a new body, decals and bits to make an AEW.  Pretty sure there are no internals at all so that will have to be scratch built.  Hence wanting to borrow ideas.  I know you shouldn’t model from a model & all that, but it helps a lot to see the internal fixtures out in the open.

This is the MR.2 body next to the Italeri 1/48 Herc - that was big too.  I always liked the MR.2 at Duxford mind.  Those are the tyres & tip tanks around the fuselage I think.

QMV61LC.jpg

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, bar side said:

It’s not small, but I got an MR.2 off eBay and then changed my mind and Sanger were nice enough to sell me a new body, decals and bits to make an AEW.  Pretty sure there are no internals at all so that will have to be scratch built.  Hence wanting to borrow ideas.  I know you shouldn’t model from a model & all that, but it helps a lot to see the internal fixtures out in the open.

This is the MR.2 body next to the Italeri 1/48 Herc - that was big too.  I always liked the MR.2 at Duxford mind.  Those are the tyres & tip tanks around the fuselage I think.

Hi There,

Yup that's a biggun.

You're welcome to use any of the photos of the internals you need.

That's half the reason they're here. 

Hope they help.

Cheers.

Alistair

• Like 1

Good Evening All,

The Spark Plug was fitted and paint has been sprayed.

35uMdQe.jpg

P8r6ChK.jpg

EHrChuk.jpg

O4FpqQl.jpg

Dlcxvb7.jpg

7aCHtAt.jpg

6ySk1Pq.jpg

The wing and tail roots require a smear of PPP.

YjNRgxm.jpg

RUY5gqv.jpg

4IhMWZ3.jpg

etSDe5r.jpg

mZsPVwY.jpg

QYszq7l.jpg

87IosQv.jpg

baUd8HP.jpg

BxhqxgX.jpg

One of the Nacelles needed some attention.

lrJl3L4.jpg

Apart from that I'm really happy with the results and in further news I remembered to mask the wing light before priming.

Just a small bit of clean up with some cotton buds needed.

Thanks for looking, 

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo paint, great to see it all together and she is big. Looking good.   Hope you don't  need to wash up soon !!! Great work. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It's just a matter of wiping the excess away from the surrounding areas. Not much to do.

Looking forward to getting some paint on her now.

Cheers,

Alistair