Time For Bed Said Zebedee - Revell 1/72 Shackleton A.E.W. 2

AliGauld

38 minutes ago, perdu said:

Mmmm bendy bench.

Nice innarding Ali, nice to reminisce about shift work too I loved it.

Mind you retirement is even better ☺️

I've only got two years and four months to go until the pension is maxxed out.... Not that I'm counting or anything.

:yahoo:

Thanks for your kind comment.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, AliGauld said:

You are as good as The Brahan Seer. 🤣

Tell me are you any relation to Agnes Nutter and what are next weeks lottery numbers.

Ks454oG.jpg

Cheers,

Alistair

Oh look.....Lego!

You could do a large scale Lego Shackleton!

(Think of the lovely revetty detail)

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Oh look.....Lego!

You could do a large scale Lego Shackleton!

(Think of the lovely revetty detail)

Oh Dear Bod I'm going to have nightmares about that tonight.  :door:

15 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great interior work, crikey there is some warping there.   

Getting there though, great work 

Happy New Year 

Chris 

Thanks very much.

It should go together with a little persuasion. :fight:

A Good New Year to all.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

This evening stuck some clear bits in, masked them, did some more fiddly photo etch bitties and gave the other bits a bit of a wash and a slight dry brush.

BhBnGzU.jpg

Em9eJzr.jpg

iOsNY3D.jpg

0F72aJc.jpg

uudBHR8.jpg

yWEfBk0.jpg

q5CRu3u.jpg

Letting all this bits settle overnight and tomorrow will get busy cleaning the mating surfaces and gluing, clamping, taping etc.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 6

Nice work on the interior! I have one of these, and I'm surprised at the amount of warping on your fuselage - I don't remember much warping (if any) on mine. It's just the luck of the draw sometimes on kits, unfortunately.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Learstang said:

Nice work on the interior! I have one of these, and I'm surprised at the amount of warping on your fuselage - I don't remember much warping (if any) on mine. It's just the luck of the draw sometimes on kits, unfortunately.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks very much and yes, it's just my luck.

I wasn't expecting the warping but I've also noted a lot of flash about as well. I realise it's Revell but was thinking that a new tool would be fairly clean.

Still I'll get there. Little steps and patience. The latter will be a new tool for me.

Again,

Thank you

Cheers,

Alistair

PS,

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Zvezda IL-2

Personally can't wait to get stuck in to it but I'm waiting on Quinta Decals arriving.

• Like 1

I've actually put together a fairly extensive review of the Zvezda Il-2 (which I haven't posted yet), but I'll give you the short version - it's a really nice, accurate kit of the Shturmovik (which I suppose you already know if you have it)! I forgot about those Quinta Decals - I need to order those also, to see how they work with the kit. I am beginning to think you got a bit of a dog with your Shack kit - mine didn't have that much flash, either. Maybe I'm just lucky with Shackletons - I ordered my Airfix MR.2 the moment it came out (it was actually pre-ordered), and I didn't get any of the short-shot parts that some reported.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I've actually put together a fairly extensive review of the Zvezda Il-2 (which I haven't posted yet), but I'll give you the short version - it's a really nice, accurate kit of the Shturmovik (which I suppose you already know if you have it)! I forgot about those Quinta Decals - I need to order those also, to see how they work with the kit. I am beginning to think you got a bit of a dog with your Shack kit - mine didn't have that much flash, either. Maybe I'm just lucky with Shackletons - I ordered my Airfix MR.2 the moment it came out (it was actually pre-ordered), and I didn't get any of the short-shot parts that some reported.

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks for that. I'll look forward to the review.

Ach if I have to do a bit of work to get it to fit then so be it.

It'll make it more satisfying in the end.

I've got the MR2 and the Revell MR3 lying in wait.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks for that. I'll look forward to the review.

Ach if I have to do a bit of work to get it to fit then so be it.

It'll make it more satisfying in the end.

I've got the MR2 and the Revell MR3 lying in wait.

Cheers,

Alistair

I've built both the Airfix MR.2 and the Revell MR.3 and I don't think you'll have much problem with either kit. The only noteworthy fit problems I've had with my Shackletons (including my Revell AEW.2, where I've already built the wings) was with the inner nacelles, joining them to the wings. The fact that I've had these problems with three different kits makes me think there may be a bit of user error involved.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Interior looking very nice indeed, looking forward tobtge fuselage going together. 

Great work 

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much.

So, this has been the situation since this morning.

Sylsgjl.jpg

HrCUtbI.jpg

You may notice the two white strips on the floor.

Ahem... can you guess which stupid person glued the end bulkhead in the wrong place.

L1PSouK.jpg

It should've gone in the two slits that had been cut out. Still sorted now just some remedial painting required.

Note to self Read the instructions more carefully.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I've built both the Airfix MR.2 and the Revell MR.3 and I don't think you'll have much problem with either kit. The only noteworthy fit problems I've had with my Shackletons (including my Revell AEW.2, where I've already built the wings) was with the inner nacelles, joining them to the wings. The fact that I've had these problems with three different kits makes me think there may be a bit of user error involved.

Best Regards,

Jason

I'm used to user error it's my superpower.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Reading instructions - where's the fun in that?

Best Regards,

Jason

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

It happens to us all !!!

Chris

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much. You've cheered me up and made me feel a little less of a complete clot.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Being a complete clot is our divine right as plastic modellers! And don't you forget it, lad! Onward and upward with your Shack!*

Best Regards,

Jason

*Maybe watching this build will nudge me to getting back to my Shacks, all six or so of them. Where I'll display them if I get them all done is another matter. And then there's the Nimrod...

• Haha 2

I sort of fell in love with the Shack on my fitter's course at Cosford back in 79/80. It was big, solid and had an interesting smell, a mixture of leather, fuel, electrics and long gone aircrew...lol. In particular I remember the ashtrays on the armrests of the pilot's seats, clambering over the wing spars to get from the back to the front and the fact you could have a crafty 40 winks in the nose gunner's seat on the MR2, much harder to be seen from the ground than the MR3! My task on it was to locate a fault on the intercom system, which turned out to be a cunningly hidden two pence piece across some terminals in a junction box... Also did fault finding on a MR3 Phase3, a Canberra B15 and a Victor amongst others. Having done my time as a mechanic in an Electronic Engineering Flight, I was looking forward to getting on a squadron after the course; but the RAF decided that I really needed to be at 3rd Line, so off I went to 30 MU at RAF Sealand. for the next four years the only aircraft I saw on a regular basis was the Spitfire on the main gate...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tornadofairy said:

I sort of fell in love with the Shack on my fitter's course at Cosford back in 79/80. It was big, solid and had an interesting smell, a mixture of leather, fuel, electrics and long gone aircrew...lol. In particular I remember the ashtrays on the armrests of the pilot's seats, clambering over the wing spars to get from the back to the front and the fact you could have a crafty 40 winks in the nose gunner's seat on the MR2, much harder to be seen from the ground than the MR3! My task on it was to locate a fault on the intercom system, which turned out to be a cunningly hidden two pence piece across some terminals in a junction box... Also did fault finding on a MR3 Phase3, a Canberra B15 and a Victor amongst others. Having done my time as a mechanic in an Electronic Engineering Flight, I was looking forward to getting on a squadron after the course; but the RAF decided that I really needed to be at 3rd Line, so off I went to 30 MU at RAF Sealand. for the next four years the only aircraft I saw on a regular basis was the Spitfire on the main gate...

Hi There,

I fell in love with them during my Cadet days and watching them take off and land while we were at Lossie. The noise had a lot to do with it. Then one day it wasn't Chippies we were getting a flight in it was a Shackleton.

A good day was had by all of us.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Just a small update.

Some glue, clamps and tape have been used.

9UbfWEe.jpg

9aNYaGE.jpg

35pzVkh.jpg

That lot will be left on until tomorrow.

I've a funny feeling that this may be my new best friend.

MI1k2mv.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4

'Rosie the Riveter'! I have to admit that when I sand down the seams on the fuselage halves of my AEW.2 (when I get around to glueing them together), I'll rescribe the panel lines, but the rivets will remain but a lost memory. Still, good luck with your riveting!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Missed the start over Christmas and the New Year but caught up now…

Great internals but oh, that warpage!

Hopefully the clamps and tape will beat it into submission :) 

Santa was good to you this year! What a haul.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Learstang said:

'Rosie the Riveter'! I have to admit that when I sand down the seams on the fuselage halves of my AEW.2 (when I get around to glueing them together), I'll rescribe the panel lines, but the rivets will remain but a lost memory. Still, good luck with your riveting!

Best Regards,

Jason

I've only used it in anger once on my Catalina but I've a feeling it's going to get a lot more use this time.

Cheers,

Alistair

11 minutes ago, CedB said:

Missed the start over Christmas and the New Year but caught up now…

Great internals but oh, that warpage!

Hopefully the clamps and tape will beat it into submission :) 

Santa was good to you this year! What a haul.

Thanks very much and welcome aboard.

The clamping from last night worked really well so I'm hoping......

If not there's always fill, sand and repeat.

Santa was very good to me I was not expecting anywhere near that amount of kits.

A lot of folks were very generous.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

With some trepidation I removed the clamps and tape this morning.

B4Q5F78.jpg

yQ4cgcH.jpg

9WGvzn5.jpg

DlvamRd.jpg

WwTwGKH.jpg

Seams and steps were scraped with my new tool. 

8pDOYFR.jpg

Quite happy, seems I've gotten away with it.

Some Mr. Surfacer has been applied

Vv19R1C.jpg

5Q09ZX7.jpg

yKAF1bm.jpg

bfe8Df7.jpg

TA60W1A.jpg

K7WOXO9.jpg

xa7YBgB.jpg

I'll let that settle and see if it needs some more.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4