Fine Scale Modeler Winter 2020 Issue - Colour Guide

Des

I will mention this here as it refers to a currently available magazine but I suppose it might equally be at home in 'Resources' or down the page in 'Tools and Tips'.

Collected the Winter 2020 Building and Detailing Aircraft Special from  Fine Scale Modeler  from my newsagent this morning which I have just noticed cost almost double the standard magazine at £8.99 ..... oopsy!!

Nonetheless and especially for anyone like me who prefers hard copy to trying to follow similar documents on-line it contains a 12 page Aircraft Color Guide compiled from a variety of sources and tabulating by nation/era model paint comparisons for over two dozen manufacturers where available.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kitkent said:

I bought this the other day and when I paid for it it was the normal price! From WHS,this magazine a paper  and a lottery ticket added up to £7 something. Chris.

This happened to me as well. Price marked at £8.99 but came up on the self service till at £4.99!

I'm pretty sure that a 12-page supplement doesn't justify nearly doubling the cover-price. You could buy a decent, second-hand reference book for that kinda moolah... and have a LOT more good reading for the price. 

Just sayin' 

Chris. 

5 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I'm pretty sure that a 12-page supplement doesn't justify nearly doubling the cover-price. You could buy a decent, second-hand reference book for that kinda moolah... and have a LOT more good reading for the price. 

I would tend to agree but I have a standing order with my newsagent so he had already been put out , I paid for it contactless along with my other magazines and this weeks newspapers and so did not notice the sharp increase , confirmed by my receipt , until I was sitting at my desk making my initial posting above about what remains an interesting resource although as far as I can see it was a standard sized issue and not the sometimes much thicker specials that they release from time to time.

From the comments above of those who bought their copies at WH Smith and paid the more usual £4.99 instead of the £8.99 shown I am hoping that it has merely been a one-off labelling mistake when the UK price and barcode information was applied over the printed US information but will be carefully watching the next issue when it arrives.

While some of the subjects and style of writing in FSM can be underwhelming I do enjoy their reviews (despite the grating references to 'The Royal Army' when covering UK military subjects) and the standard of the readers models pages but not enough that I would continue to pay £8.99 an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem that the cover price has increased to £8.99!

Just been into smiths this morning and went to pick up the January 2021 issue. The cover price is now a whopping £8.99 - I'm disgusted. A near doubling of the price in only a month or so. I would live to know what the UK importer/distributer attributes the increase is to?

Needless to say I did not continue with my purchase at that price - Smiths claim they do not know who the UK distributer is, although I will be asking the question on the Finescale modeller FB pages and/or emailing the editor I think. 

Just in from collecting my latest issue and after lunch will email Kalambach to see if they can explain what their UK distributor is up to but expect Covid, Brexit , VAT or some other excuse.     Have always enjoyed their style of reviews and stuck with it it even when the price increased a bit to be on a par with UK printed magazines but definitely not worth twice that.

Check your local library service.  Here in Hampshire FSM is one of the e-magazines in their digital service.  Free and way quicker to arrive from the US!

Admittedly we only get the main magazine (10 issues per year), not any specials but can't complain at the price 😎

Edited by malpaso

Just emailed FSM and got an immediate response from the editor Aaron Skinner that the January issue was a one-off increase for an expanded magazine and that the February will be back to the normal price.

re. advice from malpaso I do recall quite a few years ago that our local library started offering such a service and I did register for it but found nothing to interest me at that time although maybe worth finding my log-in details and seeing if it has improved any over the years since.

Sorry but I will wait and see what happens - I am not pay9ing £8.99 for a magazine no matter where it's from.

The "Holiday" 2020 issue had an increase, but I cannot accept a standard issue being at such an exorbitant price! 

Edited by treker_ed

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that the US edition is now $10.99 and is now going for $21.50 here in Australia. Too expensive for my tastes I'm afraid. Scale Aircraft Modelling is $12.50 ( £ 4.95 ) and Airfix Modelworld is $13.75 ( £ 4.99 ).

Collected my copy of the latest issue this week and UK Price was £5.99 which is £1.00 more than the last 'standard' issue late in 2020 before the two 'specials' but has me thinking about staying with it.

However while UK modelling magazines still seem to be selling for just under £5.00 as mentioned above I have noticed increases to £5.30/£5.49 in recent months with some of the full-size aviation titles published by KEY who tend to dominate that market in the UK so perhaps only a matter of time witn Airfix Modelworld.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:36 PM, Des said:

Just in from collecting my latest issue and after lunch will email Kalambach to see if they can explain what their UK distributor is up to but expect Covid, Brexit , VAT or some other excuse.     Have always enjoyed their style of reviews and stuck with it it even when the price increased a bit to be on a par with UK printed magazines but definitely not worth twice that.

Well it won't be vat their zero rated