Another b***dy Tiger I! Sorry...

burncpt

Hi all,

I'm only subjecting you to this because it's my first ever attempt at something which keeps its wheels on the ground, and a bit of an experiment in the kind of weathering you folk are so good at.

It's the Tamiya kit, gifted to me years ago by an extremely talented modeller who thought I should have a crack at armour. Covid-19 was what got the motivation up enough!

After Halfords primer, it's almost all Humbrol enamels through a cheap art-shop airbrush or my Hansa 381 for the camo pattern.

Pinwashed with oil; tried a dot-wash with mixed results; more success with sponge-applied rust and paint wear using a red shade and a dark purple-grey, and enamel rust-stains. I tried not to go overboard as I had a feeling most Tigers didn't last long in the field before breaking down, getting stuck or getting blown up...

Mud was artists' gel mixed with pigments and actual mud, and liberal amounts of pigments to 'dust' the lower parts of the hull. 

Decals were a b@*#%*d and a coat of Humbrol Clear reacted with water or the Solvaset to make white stains everywhere, which I have now incorporated as pants weathering effects :D Luckily the large numbers were the least affected but still haven't come out perfect even after 6-7 applications of Solvaset.

My top moment was sweating over how the hell to paint the centres of so many wheels accurately, as they would look terrible with even the slightest smudge over the rubber tyres. In the end, attaching them to a cordless drill via a sanded pointy bit of sprue and holding a brush up to the spinning wheel produced perfect circles every time with no masking! Win! How do others achieve this? 

Hope the whole lot is acceptable anyway, it's been 6 years away from modelling, but it's just like riding a bike, no?

Chris

JiZRsxf.jpg

9goolQN.jpg

02bKRK5.jpg

tOGU7Yg.jpg

bpfAouB.jpg

KPmWNcx.jpg

J3sX3zm.jpg

(Sorry for all the white-balance issues, I found it really hard to get the dunkelgelb a consistent shade through all the pictures so to get as close as possible I had to adjust it afterwards which made the background go crazy colours)!

Edited by burncpt
  • Like 23

On 24/12/2020 at 15:13, burncpt said:

is there a way to avoid the watermarks?

Yep! Dump Photoracket!! There are several other hosting sites out there. I use Village Photos. Not everyone's choice, but I've never had any problems with it. Great Tiger BTW.

John.

Nice work!

I am painting road wheel centers with a help of PE mask. It saves plenty of time.

Had a similar problem with decals on my last build. Something stained the clear coat. Not sure what exactly, but my main suspect is dissolved decal glue. I used Gunze's Mr. Mark Setter Neo and Mr. Mark Softer on Gunze's Mr Hobby, Aqueous Premium Clear Semi-Gloss. Or maybe I didn't wait enough for cleat coat to cure. Anyway, very frustrating.

Cheers,

Nenad

On 12/26/2020 at 9:49 AM, Bullbasket said:

Yep! Dump Photoracket!! There are several other hosting sites out there. I use Village Photos. Not everyone's choice, but I've never had any problems with it. Great Tiger BTW.

John.

Done! Reuploaded from Imgur. Hopefully will be better/show up more of the shortcomings of my modelling skill!

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 4:00 PM, Nenad Ilijic said:

Nice work!

I am painting road wheel centers with a help of PE mask. It saves plenty of time.

Had a similar problem with decals on my last build. Something stained the clear coat. Not sure what exactly, but my main suspect is dissolved decal glue. I used Gunze's Mr. Mark Setter Neo and Mr. Mark Softer on Gunze's Mr Hobby, Aqueous Premium Clear Semi-Gloss. Or maybe I didn't wait enough for cleat coat to cure. Anyway, very frustrating.

Cheers,

Nenad

I wonder if the decal glue is the suspect. But I have a feeling it's Humbrol's water-based Clear somehow, or maybe my lack of patience to let it cure. I haven't tried the Gunze ones but Solvaset is my favourite modelling product of all time. 

18 hours ago, stevehnz said:

It's not a bad bl**dy Tiger, in fact, it appears to be a darn good bl**dy Tiger, not that I know much about them but it sure catches the look of them well. :) 

Steve.

Thanks Steve, comments much appreciated. I never checked in on the armour pages until now but it seems there are many more 'looks' modellers can go for with the same subject than with aircraft. I still prefer things with props but the creativity in vehicles is crazy!

As a side question: on the model, it's easy to accidentally swipe the headlights off turning the gun barrel when it's depressed. Did the real vehicle have some kind of mechanism to prevent this? Seems like they could have just stuck them on the front plate instead 🤔

Edited by burncpt
  • Like 1

Very nice job, every inch a Tiger.

I put my roadwheels on a cocktail stick or something similar depending on hole size. I move the stick through my thumb & forefinger so it rotates. I put the loaded brush on the turning wheel & keep the brush still. Works pretty well.

Pete

• Like 1