Airfix B-17G tail turret moulding: too small!

lasermonkey

Update time! After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing I finally received some replacement parts from Airfix today. Neither are great, to be honest. The first is a slightly better fit than the two that came with the kits, whilst the other is better still, but could be much better. There’s still a step, but one that I feel I can sort out with some filler and sanding.

I’m at a loss as to why there can be so much variation in size on these parts. It’s enough to make me very wary of buying any more of these kits and I would recommend that anyone who has bought an Airfix B-17 should check the parts *carefully* and contact Airfix for replacements as necessary. If it is a problem, they need to be made aware of it so it can be sorted.

Cheers,

Mark.

I checked mine early on and thought it was fine... but then when I brought the 2 sub-assemblies together there was a definite step (the clear parts were smaller). Not sure why I'd not found this earlier.

I ended up re-opening the lower joint of the tail turret and inserting a strip of plastic to get them to match. The strip was tapered to suit the end cap contours. I'll only really know how good it is when the paint goes on...

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Mike N said:

I checked mine early on and thought it was fine... but then when I brought the 2 sub-assemblies together there was a definite step (the clear parts were smaller). Not sure why I'd not found this earlier.

I ended up re-opening the lower joint of the tail turret and inserting a strip of plastic to get them to match. The strip was tapered to suit the end cap contours. I'll only really know how good it is when the paint goes on...

That would have been my plan, had the new parts not arrived. I may possibly have to do that anyway, depending on how good the new parts are when actually fitted.

I have seen photos of perfectly fitting turrets, so I know they’re out there!

• Like 1

Just a suggestion for anyone with an Airfix B-17- check the tail turret fit carefully. Make sure the parts are fitted together firmly and precisely (the two turret halves often need the tabs trimming to ensure the close together properly) and check with good light and magnification. You may well be surprised at the result!

If you do find the issue, please let Airfix know. They're far more likely to monitor the situation if we do.

Cheers,

Mark.