EE Canberra T17A, WH902/EK, No. 360 Squadron, RAF Wyton, 1987

Originally built as a B2 and delivered to the RAF in 1954, WH902 was converted to a T17 then modified to T17A standard, receiving its hemp colour scheme around 1987. It served in the radar and communications jamming training role, flying from RAF Wyton until October 1994.

For this model I used the Airfix B(I)6/B20 kit in 1/48, with the Alley Cat T17 conversion kit, which included the decals as well as that bulbous ECM nose and numerous aerials, etc.

Particular thanks to @canberra kid for advice and info during this build. All comments and criticisms welcome. Still got the fuel filler decals to add.

Merry Christmas!

IMG-3109.jpg

IMG-3110.jpg

IMG-3111.jpg

IMG-3112.jpg

IMG-3113.jpg

IMG-3114.jpg

IMG-3116.jpg

IMG-3117.jpg

IMG-3118.jpg

IMG-3119.jpg

IMG-3123.jpg

IMG-3124.jpg

IMG-3125.jpg

IMG-3126.jpg

IMG-3108.jpg

• Like 54
  • Thanks 2

Nice job there on a peculiar looking type of Canberra.  I remember seeing them about without ever really knowing what they were.  Looks the part & done by Christmas.  What’s not to like?

Merry Christmas to you too

• Thanks 1

That’s a superb build. As we share the same interests in subject and time frame, I have paid attention to your builds and I have to say, you’re on a definite constant upward curve in skills. Cockpit detailing and weathering keep getting better with each build. We see a lot of finished builds posted in here that look flawless and museum display quality, but we rarely see the journey to those standards. You must and should feel very pleased with your work.

So what’s next?

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Filler, that's nice of you to say! Any improvement is just from this forum, it's so good for learning tips and getting advice isn't it. One thing I learnt in this build was don't use a spray can outside when it's only about 4 degrees C!

I'm not quite sure what to do next; been thinking about a red & white 4 FTS Hawk, or a 54 sqn Jag, then there's the RF-4 or a Canadian Hornet. I'll probably end up with something completely different, hard to get inspiration sometimes isn't it. 

That's a good looking T17A. Reminds me of when I worked on them for 360 sqn in the early 90s.

The TT18s and B2s were being scrapped at the time and I managed to obtain lots of bits for an aircraft that was being restored by a museum I was involved with at the time

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

What options do we have (me) in doing some 1/72 nd Canberra's Last service in the RAF.

I am a returnee to the hobby and astounded by how many people seem to be doing kits, then add in the after market bits wow.

Nice work in this thread by the way!

• Like 1

This is my favorite Canberra of all the different versions.  I know it is ugly but I love it.  The fact that it carried on for so many years giving good service is a credit to the genius of the design.  You have done a great job with the model it really came out looking perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

There’s certainly a fair few to choose from Ian, not sure which 1/72 kit would be the best starting point though. Perhaps @canberra kid could offer you some advice?

There is a kit by Micro-Mir of the T17 in 1/72. It has been out a few years now so I do not know if it is readily available. Found one here:- https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MM72-013?result-token=0EPFn

• Like 1

@ian fish as @Jabba says, out of the box in 1/72 the Micro-Mir 17 kit is the only show in town. If you are not too fussy how accurate it is it's a good/only option. The same goes for any other Canberra Mk. If you want something more accurate you will need to do some kit bashing using either the FROG B.(I)8 or Airfix 'new' B.(I)8. if you want a PR.3,7 you will need all sorts of bits! The PR.9 is easier, Airfix or Extrakit.

All this just goes to flag up the still huge gad in the model world for an accurate mainstream kit of the most numerous Mk. of Canberra, B.2! 

There are some builds on my site which may help, IPMS UK Canberra SIG. Heads up, it doesn't work on mobile phones for some reason beyond me. 

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1