New Member, old time modeller!

Aster Builder

I've been a modeller ever since 1946 when I built my first model aircraft. I continued with aircraft, both kit and scratch building, until the early '60s when I added kit built sailing ships to my list of builds with Cutty Sark, Thermopile & Pamir kits. I ventured into model engineering in the early '70s when I started building live steam locos with 5" G followed by 21/2"G and then to G1. The latter has been my passion and Gauge 1 has seen both a kit and scratch build projects, the kits being mainly Asters - hence my online moniker.

Throughout my life I've also been an avid F1 fan, but though I built a couple of Airfix kits for Vanwall and Ferrari D50 and an early wood/metal kit of an Alfa 158, I've never gone any further with model car building.

Whilst working in London for a short period in the early '80s  I came across a shop selling both model car kits and fully built models. In the centre of the window was a beautifully built 1/12th scale Maserati 250F which, had I had the 'readies' at the time, I would have bought on the spot! Having lived through what for me was the prime years of F1 - the '50s, I had many times watched Alfas, Maserati 250Fs, D50s, etc. racing in Europe. My favourite cars were those of the mid 50s including the Maser. Since then I've thought many times how much I'd love to build either a 250F or a Lancia/Ferrari D50.

I was lucky enough to have a friend who was actively involved with the Rob Walker F1 team and who took me to many races. One of my favourite weekends away with them was the Gold Cup meeting at Oulton Park in 1955. Here I met Mike Hawthorn, Stirling Moss, Luigi Musso, Eugenio Castelotti, Roy Salvadori and many others. I got to see at close quarters the Lancia Ferrari D50 that Mike was to drive on its first outing in Ferrari hands, as well as Stirling's wonderful on-lone works 250F with which he was to win the race.

I can still here the sound of the D50's V8 engine on the long back straight down to Knicker Brook. The howl bouncing off the trees made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

But enough of reminiscing! During the last few weeks I have discovered that my long desire to build one of my mid '50s favourite F1 cars is possible thanks to the kits manufactured by MFH. Then I also discovered this List too and found examples of member's builds of the 250F. Absolutely stunning models they are too. Well done folks!

With my lifetime working experience in development engineering in the aircraft industry and years of modelling I think I might be able to manage one last project in my modelling life. However, though 250F would be one possibility, I'm also tempted by the Ferrari D50 and the Alfa 158/9. Has anyone here built either of the latter two please? If so how did you get on with the kits? Any advice would be very welcome.

• Like 7

Welcome aboard. You have me beat. I started in 1959 with an Aurora Boeing 707. I to have built the Cutty Sark and the Thermopylae from Revell in my early teens.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcome guys! Friendly lot on this list it would seem.

Since my last listing I’ve had some further thoughts that I’d like to share and ask advice over.

Back in the late 50s I built a couple of Merit cars - a Vanwall and a Lancia Ferrari D50. In those days my modelling skills were pretty slim in plastic modelling. I’d like to go back on them and try to bring them up to a better standard.

Does anyone have experience with rebuilding/modifying a finished Merit race car?

• Like 1

I just came across your story and fascinating it is. I think indeed you might have as much to contribute as learn here with your background and experience. 

As for your question I suggest you ask in the vehicle section. No doubt someone there might know. 

As for the availability of Merit kits you might struggle there. The might be available on ebay and elsewhere but probably at eye watering prices. 

Good luck. 

Edited by noelh

Welcome AB, that is a fascinating intro that a younger member like me ;) ( I reached retirement age early last year) can only dream about. I look forward to seeing a MFH build on here from you. @noelh's suggestion to take your queries to the vehicle section is a good idea, several members there have rebuilt older models, I'm guessing from your comment you still have your Merit models?, so you may well pick up some good advice or examples over there.

Steve.