Operation Deny Flight - Tornado F3 RAF

will2017

I'm trying to research Tornado F3's during Operation Deny Flight in the mid-90s, but cannot seem to find much information on units / markings.

Does anyone know where I might find (any) information on this?

Happy Christmas

Hello will2017

I remember reading articles, published at the time, about Deny flight operation, but they are buried deep down in piles of magazines in my flat. Will try to dig them up. Until then, here are a few photos of some of the Tornado F.3 aircraft, that took part in that operation. Cheers

Jure

I just checked Volume 22 of World Air Power Journal, which describes some of the operations, but came up short regarding F3s, except a brief mention that Bosnian Serb forces fired at a two-ship with SA-2 and SA-6 SAMs (both of which missed).

Hello will2017

Found it! Obramba magazine, 1993-7 and 1993-10, a photo reportage by Nino Mihelak, photos taken from VC-10 K Mk.2, probably in May or June 1993. Exact date had not been given, but it had been mentioned, that at that same day 'unknown perpetrators' fired at one of the Deny flight fighter patrols, so that may narrow it down a bit. On photos Tornados from XI and 25 Sqn. can be seen, one of the latter being ZE981, FD, which poses for a brief photo session while waiting for her wingman to complete the refueling procedure.

I could not find photos on the web, so PM me if you would like to have a scan of that photo. Cheers

Jure

Good morning @will2017

There's a photograph of a 23 Squadron Tornado F Mk3 ZE969 EU in the 1994 Royal Air Force Year Book which is captioned as being taken on 6 February 1994: the aircraft is carrying four Skyflash missiles, a pair of AIM-9L Sidewinders on the inboard missile rails and Phimat pods on the ouboard rails.  This particular aircraft is on my build list as it's also carrying a pair 1,500 litre drop tanks borrowed from the Tornado GR Mk.1 fleet still in their original grey/green camouflage scheme.

The article also refers to the first Tornadoes being deployed in April 1993, these aircraft were replaced by the three Leeming based squadrons: 11, 23 and 25 before 5 and 29 squadrons assumed responsibility for the CAP mission. 

Tim Ripley's Air War Bosnia book contains a picture of the 23 Squadron flightline at Gioia del Colle showing three of the squadron's aircraft coded EM, EG and ED and an unmarked 111 Squadron aircraft ZE161 FG - this aircraft is carrying the same weapons fit as ZE969 but now with grey drop tanks.

An interesting period of the RAF's and Fleet Air Arm's recent history which does not seem to be as well documented as other contemporary operations.

• Like 1

As the aircraft involved in these deployments were generally to a common modification standard the practice seemed to be that they (and their markings) remained unchanged until returned to the UK for scheduled maintenance with only the air/ground crew changing routinely as the different squadrons were assigned to the task.

• 1 month later...

Hello, a bit late to the party but i’ve just received Concord’s ‘Tornado’ and there are a few Deny Flight pics within. 23 Squadron EX, EW and ED. 11 Squadron DJ and DH, One of the DH pics has it with Gulf pink 1500l tanks. Also possible 25 Squadron FE and FD, the captions don’t mention Deny Flight (the only 25 Sqn pic that is from that operation doesn’t show the tail code). However the aircraft are in the Deny Flight weapon fit.

• Like 2