1/48 Academy F-4B Phantom, VF-21

Finally wrapped up the latest build, another F-4.

A nice kit, better in many ways to Hasegawa however inferior in some. LG installation is not as sturdy as Hasegawa.

Started life as a VF-84 bird but the black/yellow stripe around the compound curves of the fuselage were difficult and the decals broke. 

So a last minute squadron change to VF-21. 

Its out of the box except for the scratch built fuse extenders and intake covers.

An important build for me as I tried several techniques that have scared me until now.

Canopies dipped in future, re-scribing damaged panel lines and a panel line wash using Tamiya panel accent.

Hard to find many photos of these old mid sixties era Phantoms and some guessing was required. No red edges on the landing gear doors. Green nose on the underwing tanks. 

Having trouble uploading photos so this is all that can be presented at the moment.

resized_860ec8b5-ff94-4de4-bc44-0f4a911a

resized_4798c501-bd2c-4095-908f-603ce3fe

• Like 58

Thanks very much for the kind words, much appreciated.

You will notice I did not install the rear view mirrors in the canopy. Its something that I have not yet gained the courage to do, my fear being ruining the canopy paint work by misplacing a glue ladened mirror.

But next time for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautifully finished Phantom there, really nice work.

I used PVA white glue or Kristal Klear for fitting mirrors etc, if you go wrong, just wipe it off with a wet cotton bud, won`t harm the transparency, 🙂hope that helps.