Some quick questions about the Super Hornet

tobias.ehn

Hey everyone,

I plan on doing a litte diorama featuring to super hornets in 1/144. 

My first question is about a possible loadout for both of them. Its not about historical accuracy, but about looking good (it should be somewhat realistic tho). I have everything from GBU-12s to SLAM-ERs in my stash. So, I ask you, what would be your favourite (coolest looking) loadout? 

My second question is about some scratch building I plan on doing. If on the ground, where does the Super Hornet get refuled? What other Internals could I scratch build?

Thank you very much for every answer :)

Edited by Julien
no links to blogs channels etc unless in your signature

The SH single point refuelling receptacle is on the forward right fuselage just in front and above the nose gear well:

Fueling_an_F-18.jpg

2020-12-24_07-53-06

As for weapons load, you can hang anything in the inventory off the two inboard wing pylons, carry multiple bomb launchers or small LGBs, AAMs or Mavericks on the outboard ones. For realistic, you need to consider the mission. I think missiles are sexier than bombs, but a mixed HARM and LGB load also looks cool in my opinion.

Good luck with your plan, open panels and superdetailing in 1/144 sounds like microsurgery!

Alan

• Thanks 1

JSOW weighs around 1100 lbs (approximately 500 kg), so a MER could take the weight of three JSOWs.  However, since it's a Joint/smart weapon, you need a smart rack with MIL-STD-1760 hardware.  So, a BRU-55/57 rack is what you'd use.  Whether a Super Hornet would carry more than two JSOWs at once is a question, though. 

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tmeyer said:

JSOW weighs around 1100 lbs (approximately 500 kg), so a MER could take the weight of three JSOWs.  However, since it's a Joint/smart weapon, you need a smart rack with MIL-STD-1760 hardware.  So, a BRU-55/57 rack is what you'd use.  Whether a Super Hornet would carry more than two JSOWs at once is a question, though. 

Tom

Thanks for the advice! I think I have a BRU-55/57 in my stash. Do ypu know if a SH could carry JSOW on the outboard pylon? I have seen it kit that tellstell me to do it but no official source yet

Sorry, but I'm not sure.  I looked up a couple of loadout diagrams and they show only 4 JSOWs, one on each of the two inboard pylons.  So, I'm not even sure you could load a BRU-55 and two JSOWs on the jet.  I hope others more knowledgeable will come along and help out.  

Tom

• Thanks 1

Sorry, wasn't explicit enough.  I know a MER can handle three 1,000 pound class weapons and that's all I was saying.  And would you really need to carry that many at once? The Super Hornet can carry four JSOWs if need be, but I doubt the requirement would come up very often.

Hopefully someone will supply more info sooner or later.

Tom

• Thanks 1