Quick fix rear for H&S ultra?

Michael Morris

I've had a Harder and Steinbeck Ultra for around a year now and I think I'm now starting to get to grips with basic airbrushing techniques.  I'm definitely a convert to using lacquer paints.  The one thing I wish my airbrush had is a mechanism for limiting the paint flow on the trigger.  I know that more expensive H&S models have this, which I think they call their 'quick fix' mechanism.  

I know that some accessories for Silverline or infinity ranges will actually fit the Ultra range, but aren't (or certainly didn't used to be) advertised as such.

H&S sell replacement rear sections with this quick fix mechanism for their Silverline and infinity ranges, but not for the Ultra. 

Does anyone know if the rear sections of an H&S Silverline or infinity will fit on an Ultra and provide a working quick fix mechanism?

Thanks

IMHO they work very well, I've had one for a few years now.  Like you I was new to airbrushing at the time, I found it a great help, as time has gone on, I use it less and less as you learn the muscle memory/skill to better control the paint flow.  That said I still use it as a safeguard when airbrushing certain things, really good for preventing flooding or over wetting of top coats both colour and clear.  

Unfortunately I don't have an Ultra, my two H&S are Evolution and Infinity so can't confirm if a quick fix will fit, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.       

I have an Ultra and Infinity. Just tried the quick fix from the Infinity on the Ultra and it does not work. It appears that the needle extends further from the rear of the Ultra than it does on the infinity. The reason seems to be that the needle locking nut extends significantly further from the rear of the Infinity than it does on the Ultra. The quick fix adjustment uses this to limit the travel of the needle. So although the Infinity rear end fits onto the Ultra, the quick fix mechansim cannot reach the needle locking nut,

Silverline may be different, but I suspect not.

Cheers

Colin

Edited by ckw
correction
  • Like 1

The standard preset handle(123573) will sort of work on the Ultra.   

You need to unscrew the limiter all the way  out. 

The ultra is shorter at the back end compared with the other brushes, so you need to make sure you don't force the needle through the nozzle when fitting it to the ultra.  I haven't tried it yet, but you could possibly add the the rear handle extension  which should extent everything so it would work OK.

Handle extension Evolution or Infinity 126803 (modellingtools.co.uk)

Paul

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dromia said:

Gosh! I thought interchangeability and standardisation was a feature of the H&S line.

Good luck with the work arounds. I don't use such a preset feature on my Iwata's a lot be when it needed its good to have

It is, but the Ultra brush is a simplified entry level brush to keep the price down, but using the same needles & nozzles as the main Evolution & Infinity range.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, Doccur said:

Did you have any joy with this @Michael Morris?

No. In the end I just bit the bullet and bought an Infinity.  The trigger us much better and the ability to pre-set the maximum paint flow rate is a godsend.

• Thanks 1

Interesting, I did the conversion some weeks ago. I had a 'spare' quickfix (the nickel plated one 123663, it was replaced by the chrome one on my Evolution).

Two things you have to do if you want to have it perfect:

- You screw out the needle stop from the new quick fix handle and reduce the length of the brass tube (which acts as the stop for the needle fixing nut) by 2 mm and carefully deburr inside and out

- You take out the needle and cut it off at the rear rear end by 8 - 10 mm, deburr and if you want to be perfectly perfect, you cut the two grooves to identify the needle size

Put it together and you're done. If you own an electrical tool (Proxxon, Dremel etc) and you have the minimal talent for manual work (which I assume as you're a modeller), it will be no problem for you to do it. 

To keep the Ultra as an alternative or backup AB (as I do, and I love the Ultra) or have it to spray 'rubbish' which you don't want to use your infinity for, I'd say the money and the time to invest are minimal.

• Thanks 1