1:72 S.B.S Model de Havilland DH.88 Comet

Hi mates,

2020 has been a weird year. I've only built two kits, and both were resin - two kits from CMR, the Blackburn Firebrand and Martin Mauler. I figured that I might as well make it an all-resin year and follow up those two with the beautiful S.B.S Model kit of the de Havilland DH.88 Comet. That way, instead of remembering 2020 in terms of maskless neighbors spewing bio-aerosols and conspiracy theories about Hugo Chavez, I can simply remember it as "the year I swore off injection moulding and only built resin." See? Simple.

The kit has some of the nicest castings I've seen, and it was a joy to build. I chose G-ACSR because it was painted in British Racing Green - I seriously thought about putting some Team Lotus stickers on it. Anyway, here is my usual summary:

Project: 1:72 de Havilland DH.88 Comet

Kit: S.B.S Model kit no. SBS72003
Scale: 1:72 (as Zeus and Kronos decreed in their meeting on 21/12/20)
Decals: From the kit, representing G-ACSR, flown by Owen Cathcart Jones and Ken Waller in the 1934 MacRobertson Air Race
Photoetch: Included with the kit, primarily for the seat belts and fiddly bits like throttle levers and controls

Resin: Uh, um, the whole thing is resin, including the canopy!

Paint: Gunze H6 Green, H11 Flat White, H12 Flat Black, H37 Wood Brown, H77 Tyre Black; Alclad 115 Stainless Steel; Tamiya XF-16 Aluminum, XF-69 NATO Black; Floquil 110015 Flat Finish (satin or egg shell)

Improvements/Corrections

I cut out and re-positioned the elevators and added the balances for both the rudder and elevators. I also added the cable holding the canopy open, made from Nitinol wire.

WIP build thread: Link

Now, let's see some photos. Enjoy!

IMG_5583

IMG_5586

IMG_5582

IMG_5580

IMG_5588

IMG_5590

IMG_5593

IMG_5591

IMG_5579

IMG_5587

IMG_5584

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 53

On 26/12/2020 at 04:18, CedB said:

Especially, for some bizarre reason, the canopy support wire - lovely touch.

Thanks Ced. I always add those if they're on the real thing, and the Nitinol wire (especially when it's this short of a piece) is always straight. No sagging. It's some kind of a memory retention metal and is just 0.008" in diameter. I love the stuff.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Now my dilemma is what to build next. I can never decide. Maybe a Hawk or Tucano.