Gun hot- cleared live!

Pappy

G'day people,

This is the Revell 1/72 kit which I attempted to build for the recent Sponsored Revell 1/72 Hawk T1 GB and the markings represent a machine of 151 (Fighter) SQN, RAF Chivenor, Devon July '83. Unfortunately I ran out of time. My kit (and it seems many of the GB kits as well) suffered from a mold flaw with the front windscreen resulting in a part that did not fit the forward fuselage.

DSCN7404.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSCN7414.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

It is a nice kit that goes together very well and even provides alternate undercarriage covers to allow the kit to be depicted in flight, however no pilot figures are included. There are a couple of accuracy issues that I wanted to address. The main undercarriage bays have a weird 'hump'  shaped roof, it would be impossible for the wheels to retract into this space. Revell why they got this area wrong. My solution was to depict the kit with gear up. Problem two is that the rear fuselage represents the original shape. The ejection seats installed at this time had larger, wider shaped head boxes. I modified the kit seats (which are excellent btw) to represent these and used a Matchbox jet pilot figure in this instance, the rear seat was modified to depict the cover installed over the seat straps when the jet is flown solo. The Airfix T1 kit has the later style modified aft fuselage

If interested, WIP here

I contacted Revell who were initially not very helpful but several e-mails later decided to replace the part -  If you have this kit in the stash, please check your clear parts

In order to get back on track and try and finish on time I bought a second kit to steal the windscreen from. This kit also had a similar molding issue but not as pronounced and decided to use it but it needed fairing in with putty  to match the fuselage contour. The kit is depicted in flight and I used the excellent decal sheet provided in the Airfix kit, which includes an abundance of tiny stencil data which were used but practically disappear when applied.

Anyhoo, enough of the waffle already, onto the completion pics

003(62).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

002(65).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

005(57).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

thanks for looking and happy festivus!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 56

That's an awesome diorama. I typically don't offer constructive criticisms but in this case it might help, if not on this finished product then a future one. Instead of using a colored support for the Hawk, try using a short length of clear sprue. My experience using clear sprue to support tail heavy models is that it's often overlooked when the model is viewed because it doesn't stand out. I believe the same would be true for your Hawk diorama. Hope this suggestion helps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SAT69 said:

That's an awesome diorama. I typically don't offer constructive criticisms but in this case it might help, if not on this finished product then a future one. Instead of using a colored support for the Hawk, try using a short length of clear sprue. My experience using clear sprue to support tail heavy models is that it's often overlooked when the model is viewed because it doesn't stand out. I believe the same would be true for your Hawk diorama. Hope this suggestion helps.

G'day SAD69,

Thanks for the comments. The stand was painted black shortly after these pics were taken and is not as noticeable now. Since the stand will be seen from the opposite side inany case I opted for brass.  The problem with using clear sprue is that it is brittle in comparison to brass and this model will be subjected to some travelling. In addition, the kit is nose heavy even though I didn't add any additional ballast. Normally this would be a good thing but since it will be sitting atop a pole, the kit will just promptly fall on its nose instead of sitting level. Yes I could file the sprue to shape or I could just use some square section as I have done,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pinback said:

Love it! :)

7 hours ago, djos said:

Nice built Hawk and great way for presenting it, i like it a lot

Regards Djordje

6 hours ago, eng said:

Awesome! The base is very effective in conveying a speeding jet at low level. Very nice indeed.

Eng

6 hours ago, RMCS said:

Brilliant 

Thanks very fellas, this will be my last opportunity for somew bench time until after the rellies have departed,

cheers,

Pappy

On 12/24/2020 at 2:32 PM, dnl42 said:

Nicely done!

I especially like the presentation, really looks the part!

On 12/24/2020 at 5:55 PM, Homer said:

Excellent model well done 👏. Have a great Christmas 🎄 🎅

23 hours ago, swralph said:

Very nice finish.😀

18 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Really eye catching...

Serkan

Thanks veryu much fellas, merry christmas to all,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

Hello!

Brilliant presentation and very good model! One question. On the right side below windscreen there is something. Is that a TAT sensor? Was XX352 test plane?

In Finnish Air Force HW-305 and HW-321 were used extensively by the Koelentue (Test Flight) and were equipped with such TAT sensor plus vanes etc special on the pitot boom. Unfortunately I could not find any photo to link.

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio
TAT is the standard English abbreviation of Total Air Temperature

7 hours ago, F-32 said:

That's lovely work

3 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

:wow:Absolutely stunning. Brilliant diorama. :goodjob:

Thanks very much fellas

2 hours ago, Kari Lumppio said:

Hello!

Brilliant presentation and very good model! One question. On the right side below windscreen there is something. Is that a TOT sensor? Was XX352 test plane?

In Finnish Air Force HW-305 and HW-321 were used extensively by the Koelentue (Test Flight) and were equipped with such TOT sensor plus vanes etc special on the pitot boom. Unfortunately I could not find any photo to link.

Cheers,

Kari

G'day Kari,

Yes, I believe that it is a TAT probe, which I think is standard on RAF Hawk T.1s

1 hour ago, Vultures1 said:

Great Hawk and a really effective presentation - well done!

Hi Vulture, thanks very much!

cheers,

Pappy