Recommendations for best illuminated magnifier

dwh

Hi everyone, I am looking at treating myself to a new articulated desk illuminated magnifier, any recommendations.

Seen quite a few on ebay, but want to make sure I get a good one.

Thanks

If you want the best- one  word: Ottlite.   https://products.ottlite.com/c-192-craft-and-sewing-magnifiers.aspx

Update- I've corrected the link to the actual magnifier pages of the Ottlite UK page instead of the main page.  Scroll down the page to find the gooseneck clip-on one.

Lou in California

Edited by louiex2
Updated link

2 hours ago, louiex2 said:

If you want the best- one  word: Ottlite.   https://www.ottlite.com/ottliteuk#

Lou in California

That one isn't a magnifier, it's just a light.

I've got this old magnifier with a 40 watt bulb in it. It's at least 30 years old.

49143346097_cb3003b0fe_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

@dogsbody  Chris-  You are correct.  Thank you for pointing out the confusion; I should have clarified the link was to the main Ottlite UK website, however Ottlite does make a magnifier version.  - I've update the post.

Your magnifying swing arm looks like the same one I use (and have had for about 30 years.)   Last time the incandescent bulb died, I replaced it with an LED bulb- what a difference.

Lou in California 

Edited by louiex2

Leds are better. Cooler light that doesn't dry paint quickly. 

OP. I use a visor type magnifiers. Better depth of field. They are available with led illumination which just about removes shadows

Sometimes the magnifying glass would collapse and fall onto the work

I might be being a bit obtuse, but I prefer my magnification and illumination separate.  I've got a Donegan Optivisor, and a horribly expensive Luminos angle-poise lamp that is just awesome.  It's gone up since I got mine, but it was still pretty eye-watering at the time, but I don't regret it one iota. :yes:

Be wary of fakes, especially with the Optivisor.  I got my mum one to see if she would like it, but although it was OK, it isn't a patch on the real thing, but then it was about a quarter of the price. :shrug:

p.s. you'll also look a total tool in an Optivisor, but I'm past caring ^_^