Rhomboid ramblings

06/24

@Pig of the Week he also asked this:

‘Women’s service in the Great War don’t seem to be quite as well documented as the men’s but do you have any details of the women here? As I can probably find info out if you do :)’

Do you want me to put him in contact with you, for you to take this personal adventure? I suppose it’s very dear to you and I’d rather you make the interesting discoveries about her than some random (me) telling you second hand! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, British Army Platforms said:

@Pig of the Week he also asked this:

‘Women’s service in the Great War don’t seem to be quite as well documented as the men’s but do you have any details of the women here? As I can probably find info out if you do :)’

Do you want me to put him in contact with you, for you to take this personal adventure? I suppose it’s very dear to you and I’d rather you make the interesting discoveries about her than some random (me) telling you second hand! 

By all means private message me, I'll give you my email add to pass on if he would rather contact me privately, ( I don't do facebook or any similar btw

All that said, I'm very happy to share the info to any who are interested, it's certainly good to get the women's story out there, as said above there's not so much generally available regarding their various roles and the details.

I just have far off memories now of conversations with my Gran when I was a kid about her experience, we always wish we'd asked more when it's too late !

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

As Walt, the FT driver earlier in the thread proves, figure painting is not my skill set either. Still one must try. 

I thought Walt looked pretty good, you gave him a definite character...he's way better than anything I could do ! :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geofftrash said:

Interesting ,I'd assumed it was khaki in Gran's pic, but in b/w it's hard to say, tho I'd think blue would appear darker ?

The whole cut and look is very similar tho. I looked at cap badges and the VAD one is a different shape however to the ones in Gran's pic..

I found reference to a unit called "forage corps" which was totally different type of womens unit, a bit like the WW2 land girls, & part of the ASC....but the point being that some of those were given ASC badges as a stopgap until they had sorted an alternative.

None of the specifically women's unit cap badges l found look remotely like the one's in our pic tho ( to me anyway!)

So far, Lauren and Hardy are not going as well as I’d like. Still struggling with too much paint on the brush, despite wiping it before use, and struggling to find a tanned/outdoor skin tone I like. The eyes are the usual shambles but will be redone, as I suspect will both faces. Annoyingly, there was a mid point, with just the base shadow and first skin tone that looked better than these do now, a lesson that sometimes less is more. As Lauren may yet end up with a replacement head, I’m not disheartened, but will persevere. Hardy looks better, but jaundiced! He’ll look better still when his puttees have been painted.

51011793943_b6629c4c63_c.jpgStill work in progress by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

By all means private message me, I'll give you my email add to pass on if he would rather contact me privately, ( I don't do facebook or any similar btw

All that said, I'm very happy to share the info to any who are interested, it's certainly good to get the women's story out there, as said above there's not so much generally available regarding their various roles and the details.

I just have far off memories now of conversations with my Gran when I was a kid about her experience, we always wish we'd asked more when it's too late !

Okay I'll contact you privately and pass on your details. I think its your family tree to learn more of so I'll let you get on with Tom! Thanks for sharing this far. I know exactly what you mean, when your old enough to understand the enormity of your heritage its often too late.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, British Army Platforms said:

Okay I'll contact you privately and pass on your details. I think its your family tree to learn more of so I'll let you get on with Tom! Thanks for sharing this far. I know exactly what you mean, when your old enough to understand the enormity of your heritage its often too late.

Great stuff ! I do know quite a bit about Grans family, as a friend does the whole ancestry.com thing and did some research.

10 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

I’m going to let them dry thoroughly and then try a wash to bring out the shadows.

All good, it's interesting to see L&H evolve, they've certainly got character and look like they're in conversation, I like 'em already ! 

...H to L..."see..the road to Bapaume is all cratered miss,  we'll never get through that way..."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

Interesting ,I'd assumed it was khaki in Gran's pic, but in b/w it's hard to say, tho I'd think blue would appear darker ?

The whole cut and look is very similar tho. I looked at cap badges and the VAD one is a different shape however to the ones in Gran's pic..

I found reference to a unit called "forage corps" which was totally different type of womens unit, a bit like the WW2 land girls, & part of the ASC....but the point being that some of those were given ASC badges as a stopgap until they had sorted an alternative.

None of the specifically women's unit cap badges l found look remotely like the one's in our pic tho ( to me anyway!)

Here is a search on IWM for VAD. Lots of images of drivers and they can be enlarged to get a good view of the badge.

There does appear to be variation in uniforms and a couple of different badges.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Voluntary+Aid+Detachment&pageSize=30&media-records=all-records&style=list&filters[makerString][Brooks%2C+Ernest+(Lieutenant)]=on

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, geofftrash said:

Here is a search on IWM for VAD. Lots of images of drivers and they can be enlarged to get a good view of the badge.

There does appear to be variation in uniforms and a couple of different badges.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Voluntary+Aid+Detachment&pageSize=30&media-records=all-records&style=list&filters[makerString][Brooks%2C+Ernest+(Lieutenant)]=on

Thats brilliant a collection, thanks for sharing !

There's a lot of examples there of a similar/same type of hat, and some badge shapes that could be too.

..interesting that there's a hospital shot with a German being treated along side a tommy, which ties in with stuff Gran mentioned.

I'd say that Gran's uniform was khaki after seeing those, the ladies with blue kit show up as quite dark.

• Like 2

As hoped, a wash (Revell Leather Brown), has restored some definition, but also harmonised the skin tones. Still work needed to paint Lauren’s apron and insignia, but there is hope. It will look even better when the wash dries as well.

51013193026_3d7c9aa018_c.jpgL&H by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Jon, have a read of this guide for face flesh tone painting, I found that this works really well and it’s helped me no end with getting on the way with flesh tones. 

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/painting-skin-face-basic-level-sbs.124485/

Bookmarked, thank you. I think a date with the paint stripper beckons for Lauren and Hardy.

• Like 1

Last night's pictures were terrible, hopefully these give a truer reflection of their appearance. First Hardy, who looks just about passable. I've also noticed he bears a strong resemblance to my paternal grandfather, Reg!

51015530721_c224635940_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Sadly, Nurse Lauren just looks a mess. So I’ve decided to strip both and start again. Some elements I’ve learned from the first attempt will be kept – I’m happy with Hardy’s uniform colours, so the time has not been wholly wasted. I shall try again following that Planetfigure step by step guide and see how I get on.

51015530726_4d8c8f2bd7_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

5 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Bookmarked, thank you. I think a date with the paint stripper beckons for Lauren and Hardy.

I read that as Laurel and Hardy and started wondering

• Haha 1