Rhomboid ramblings

06/24

While I don’t have an Ambulance driving Grandma to share, here is one of the reasons I am interested in WWI, my Great Uncle, Harry Gwinnett, of the Grenadier Guards. One of the missing. We have his medals, issued post war to the family.

50996721868_5aecac169d_b.jpgFar From Home But Happy by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Harry is seated second from the left.

• Like 4

Couple of exciting deliveries today. The main one, is the Japan only TSF version of the Meng FT, only just a WWI tank, but a few were apparently accepted into service before the war ended. No interior detail for the roof box, but I have a plan with crew figures. 

50999619423_4ec215fbff_c.jpgSpecial deliveries by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Almost as exciting were the packages from Shapeways, with extra interior fittings and wheels for the other two FTs - Available here

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 06/24 said:

However, it was one of those evenings where I broke as many bits as I fixed

We all have nights like this, hang in there, you're doing a fantastic job, 👍

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not the best photo, but progress on M1917 number 2, using more parts from SBS to add variety and visual interest. My intention is to display this as if it is experiencing mechanical problems, with the bonnet open. Having experimented with wiring on the Ute, I’ve got some ideas how to improve on this one.

51003417533_f3f0f83ca2_c.jpgSecond ICM/Revell 1/35 Ambulance by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

I'm struck by how far the body overhangs the rear axle / chassis when seen like that.... you'd think they'd have devised a long wheel base chassis for these kind of applications.... although I guess in many ways it makes sense to use existing production units rather than tool up for a new version.

The model's looking great btw....

• Like 1

Chassis extensions were available, first from aftermarket builders and later Ford themselves and they were trialled on the Ambulances. Generally accepted wisdom seems to be that the increase in turning circle was deemed to outweigh any benefit, although the longer T lorry chassis presumably started to become available after the war. 

The body features pockets for the stretcher handles under the drivers seat and in the rear door, all part of shifting weight as far forward over the rear axle as possible. Similarly, the folding bench seats in the rear only go half way, keeping any seated passengers forward of the axle as well.

It somewhat surprises me that no apparent attempt to hang ballast or a counterweight forward of the driver was tried, much as one might see on a tractor, for example. 

• Like 1

A couple of shots showing the extension and an ambulance experimentally fitted with it:

51004283196_dcb5d93281_z.jpgHay-Dee extension 1920 advert and experimental fitting on M1917 Ambulance by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51003580138_a9b62910c5_z.jpgHay-Dee extension 1920 advert and experimental fitting on M1917 Ambulance by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I don’t own the copyright of either of these, but believe them to be public domain due to their age, being over 100 years old.

Source: https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/11817-wwi-ford-model-t-ambulances/ well worth a read.

• Like 3

So, I mentioned trying to improve on the wiring. Here’s today’s attempt:

51005859007_c93d3b282a_c.jpgM1917 Ambulance by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

0.3mm copper wire inserted into 0.6mm OD tube. Really the leads would be clamped to the top of the plugs, but this should suffice.

After that, I think I need to tidy my workspace!

51005748411_43cb66b881_c.jpgM1917 Ambulance by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Next up is detailing the interior of ambulance number 2. The SBS set includes straps for securing the stretcher runners, so these will be added, while the kit folded seat was modified to match the open one opposite.

51005748396_ab1015e4d2_c.jpgM1917 Ambulance by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 7

Test fitting the opened hood/bonnet using part of the SBS Model etch.

51005792683_23198121d3_c.jpgProgress by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I’ve used the kit part for the other side, as it felt stronger than the etch. The etch hinge line was inserted into a slot made by using the ultra thin Hyper Gate cut saw, my favourite tool. It’s glued rather than soldered as my soldering iron is packed away in the loft. The ignition leads need shortened and fixed to the bulkhead, and the magneto lead fitted into the underneath. I’ve not yet decided if I will try and replicate the accelerator lines from the column etc, as they would be vanishingly thin, and once the radiator pipes and steering are fitted I think it might look busy enough.

• Like 5

That little etch metal bonnet looks very cool indeed, and a good job on the leads as well.

That picture of your workspace made me smile, that looked like chaos :)

Matt

• Like 1

A modeller on Facebook recommended Revell Stone Grey for the natural rubber tyres, and I really like it. They need a wash to tidy up the demarcation line with the wheels themselves, but it’s coming along.

51008867853_8c7e3a979e_c.jpgModel T progress by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The paint finish is terrible, I’ve had a go at polishing back but so far without much success. I should probably have primed only and then hand painted, and will try that on the next one. The folded hood was extended as it was too short, hoops from 0.5mm wire pinned into the kit moulding, with tissue soaked in PVA for the cover.

The second ambulance continues to make gentle progress too, still some detail painting and highlights needed in the engine bay.

51008867803_a69967d63b_c.jpgModel T progress by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Thanks for watching,

Cheers

Henry

• Like 3

A break from the production line to start undercoating the figures

51010170806_e5126acf49_c.jpgStarting to undercoat the ambulance crew by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I watched an interesting YouTube video in which the painter applied the skin shadow as a dark red and built up the highlights on top. This is a contrast to my usual route of starting with a mid-tone and then trying to shade/highlight from there. We’ll see how it works. The blue of the nurses uniform is far too light, so I’ll need to add a darker colour. I’m struggling to decide what shade to use for the US Army uniform of the driver, the Olive Brown I used on Walt looks a little too pale and green in real life, at least to my mind.

• Like 4