Rhomboid ramblings

06/24

I've been quietly following this fascinating build(s). I have to say the resin kits you are using are excellent. From the tank bits to the figures I really like them all. Oh and your skills are nothing to be sniffed at either 😉👌

Andrew 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

Nice figures, the nurse on the right looks an old dragon tho.. :)

She does look a bit of a battleaxe doesn’t she 😄

45 minutes ago, APA said:

I've been quietly following this fascinating build(s). I have to say the resin kits you are using are excellent. From the tank bits to the figures I really like them all. Oh and your skills are nothing to be sniffed at either 😉👌

Andrew 

You are very kind, but I just muddle along. The current crop of figures are amazing, even a dunce like me can make them look halfway decent.

• Like 2

I’ve started to block in the base colours on the various tank crew

51125409829_6975762282_c.jpg1/35 Figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51125571418_8175dc3554_c.jpg1/35 Figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Ive no real idea what colour french uniforms were, so this is just a guess!

51125571403_639659a89d_c.jpg1/35 Figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51125099137_a8f66930ab_c.jpg1/35 Figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 8

He does have that look about him. He also demonstrates how just because something is in scale, doesn’t make it look right, the uniform is a 3D scan, a high quality one at that, yet the pockets etc lose all definition once paint is applied. A case where some slight exaggeration actually looks better.

However, this preamble is by way of an excuse as progress this week has been limited, Kieran’s revision has taken priority (understandably) so I’ve been working on a side project, not much of an armoured vehicle slant here, so look away now if you’re easily offended! Some painting practice on a few Masterbox figures, but there’s a link, all will be revealed.

51127912476_f698c86ba4_c.jpgThe American West by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51129889221_4b03e42b05_c.jpgDistractions by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

So what’s the (tenuous) connection to WW1?

Horses. The Masterbox kits are a cheap source of 1/35 horses, and as we all know, the first mechanised war still utilised thousands, if not millions of horses, mules etc, either as draught animals, as cavalry remounts, or as officers’ transport. I’ll need to work out what tack to apply, but these will be a decent starting point.

51129946064_bf44b0e7e7_c.jpgDistractions by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

And unfortunately the war cost many animal lives as well as human, so this will be a grim, but poignant feature of some future diorama.

51129931962_204eb8ef5a_c.jpgDistractions by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51131002760_35550dd9b1_c.jpgDistractions by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Blimey sport, those look like chicken burgers on the barbie.... ;)

Cruel. Cruel.🤣

I can cook (after a fashion, I was taught by an ex- NAAFI chef) but I don’t bake. However I can confirm they taste better than they look 😂

• Haha 2

THIS is an ABSOLUTE Fantastic thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for telling what figures and accessories you are using, by a quick search, I now have 3 new websites to check out for my future projects, I love this , keep them coming !

Jeff

• Like 1

A head start tonight, getting an Agrax Earthshade (Games Workshop) wash on the current batch of figures. (The wash is still wet in the photos, hence the shine).

51155751756_8fd587e85d_c.jpg1/35 figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

First up the Modelu “Leaning Sapper” who received a replacement head from Yellow House Club. He’s a 3D scan of a reanactor intended for driving model trains, and the 1/35 scale print perhaps lacks a little definition as a result (the puttees for example) but one advantage of the scan is the pose is completely natural. As his legs will be hidden inside the Mark IV the lack of definition won’t matter much anyway. Alan at Modelu has just released a set of seated Edwardian passengers, and is doing me a set in 1/35 to populate the Miniart B Type LGOC bus. No connection other than as a very satisfied customer, as well as a high quality product, Alan and his team offer fabulous customer service and seem like genuinely nice people.

• Like 7

Agrax Earthshade and similar washes are an easy way to add definition but do tend to darken the surface a little, as can be seen on the next figure, intended to represent the commander of an American Renault FT - a companion to Walt as seen earlier in the thread.

51156536029_4a811bf5a5_c.jpg1/35 figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

This is another kitbash, with the body from, appropriately enough, The Bodi, as is the right arm, the left arm is from a Miniart WW2 set (the wristwatch is a trench watch for our purposes) and the head is from Hornet. He still needs his helmet straps added (or trimmed right away. Again, nothing more than base coat paint and a wash. I’m aware that by late 1918 an American with canvas leggings would be unlikely, but again they will be largely hidden within the turret.

• Like 7

Finally the pair of French tankers, who will crew the TSF. The wash has darkened the “horizon blue” of the uniforms and they will need a pale blue-grey highlight to bring them back. For the black leather jacket the wash was “Nuln Oil” although with hindsight the brownish Earthshade might have been better. 

51156536014_522ec2c2e7_c.jpg1/35 figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The driver is another The Bodi figure with a trimmed Hornet head (so he fits!)

51156857390_288b32d823_c.jpg1/35 figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The commander is a Meng figure, again with a Hornet head.

• Like 8

I

32 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Flesh tones have really come on fella, they are looking superb :thumbsup:

Thanks, nothing special, just the brown sand base and the Earthshade wash, for the drivers who will be barely visible it might well be good enough. And a damn sight easier than layering!

I think the photos flatter them, particularly the strong lighting- in real life they are rather less convincing. But they’re coming along. Must do something about the hands on that French tank commander though!

Well Tuesday’s promised progress has little to show for it. Too tired, not in the right mood, or just a touch of the anti-Midas (everything I touch turns to sh...)

Basically I tried to take shortcuts, and as we all know, we don’t have time for short cuts.

Anyway, enough excuses, evidence of the backwards progress:

51157948854_14e681a47a_c.jpg1/35 figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51158270530_1b4147516c_c.jpg1/35 figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51157399563_8e5414a05c_c.jpg1/35 figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51157163016_f756e96471_c.jpg1/35 figures by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

51157014612_c3eab1657c_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 10

If I don't feel in the mood for it i tend to just go and do something else, or just chill with a nice bevvy !

Frank Spencer and the old dragon look a bit like they've been sent off to fetch a load of coal, ie a bit grubby !

Everyone of them has great character ( as I've come to expect from your good self!) ..and I'm sure you'll be fettling away with 'em till you're happy and they'll turn out top notch !

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

If I don't feel in the mood for it i tend to just go and do something else, or just chill with a nice bevvy !

Wise words from Mr Pig ;)

12 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Everyone of them has great character ( as I've come to expect from your good self!) ..and I'm sure you'll be fettling away with 'em till you're happy and they'll turn out top notch !

Very much agree yes, they all have great character and look part of a story being told, that kinda thing.

Matt

• Like 2

I have taken the plunge (uncomfortable pun) and Sergeant Spencer, Sister Umbridge and Walt’s boss have all had a dip in the StripMagic followed by a stiff scrub in IPA (the cleaning kind, not the summer drinking kind!). They’re now drying in the airing cupboard and I’m going to start again. Thankfully the rest are salvageable so watch this space (I’ll also take the opportunity to fix a few sculpting issues on Spencer and Umbridge, where I slightly messed up the head fitting...)