Rhomboid ramblings

06/24

50943829317_4c0b9dbfe6_c.jpgWhat did I do wrong? by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The caption says it all. I can’t see how I’ve ended up with this gap between the hinge plate and side face. Both fit to parts keyed to the main body/roof so they’re in the correct place, but that gap should not be there. Easy enough to fill with some Evergreen strip, but I haven’t seen the same on other builds. Hmmm?

• Like 2

Ok, Walt really is finished, apart from a flat coat when the weather improves. Far from perfect, but as good as I’ve managed, and once installed, as the final picture hints, not overly visible or distracting.

50953309203_6f12dd91d7_c.jpgWalt, finished apart from flat coat by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50953309198_d3abc1ce0a_c.jpgWalt, finished apart from flat coat by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50954115672_39e5f0a708_c.jpgWalt, finished apart from flat coat by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50954009901_ea0572b1e8_c.jpgWalt, finished apart from flat coat by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 4

Whilst the Green Stuff is still soft you can use a stiff wet paint brush to smooth it out Jon, cocktail sticks and 

paint brush handles are also good to shape and move it about. Another top tip is to use talcum power in the same way 

as a baker rolls out pastry, you can roll it really really thin and the talc stops it from sticking from your tools and rolling board. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I’ve realised I should have left it to begin curing before I attempted to form it into shape, I had managed to roll it out nice and thin between two sheets of baking/greaseproof paper, but I then spoiled the effect by rolling it too soon, so it stuck together/ reformed into a lump. I may try again tomorrow if I can remove it from the hoop.

• Like 1

Wasn’t happy with the first two attempts at the Green Stuff hood, this is the third go, and I’m happier with it now. I think this is about as good as I can manage, a steep learning curve but I’m pleased with the results. @Dads203 advice was useful, plus watching a video of the guy who makes  Value Gear, and lots of water seems to be key. I tried my best to be patient and let the sheets stiffen a little before rolling, and that seemed to work better. I’ve included a shot of the inspiration, I haven’t managed a faithful copy, but hopefully good enough in spirit.

50962815237_cd9df54b8c_c.jpgThird times a charm by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50962005723_661265b349_c.jpgThird times a charm by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50962887372_49de43a29c_c.jpgModel T Ambulance by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Wasn’t happy with the first two attempts at the Green Stuff hood, this is the third go, and I’m happier with it now. I think this is about as good as I can manage, a steep learning curve but I’m pleased with the results. @Dads203 advice was useful, plus watching a video of the guy who makes  Value Gear, and lots of water seems to be key. I tried my best to be patient and let the sheets stiffen a little before rolling, and that seemed to work better. I’ve included a shot of the inspiration, I haven’t managed a faithful copy, but hopefully good enough in spirit.

50962815237_cd9df54b8c_c.jpgThird times a charm by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50962005723_661265b349_c.jpgThird times a charm by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50962887372_49de43a29c_c.jpgModel T Ambulance by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Looks very accurate. Fantastic work! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the encouragement folks.

Having enjoyed the challenge of the canvas roof, next challenge will be modifying a figure. In this case, the ICM American nurse, turning her from a standing figure, into one seated alongside the driver. Green Stuff will hopefully be used to make her long skirt.

The driver, the figure from The Bodi who donated his head to Walt driving the FT, has received a replacement head from another Bodi figure, their WW2 British Jeep driver. I liked his jaunty appearance.

50965657127_6eba306433_c.jpg1/35 WWI Ambulance driver and Nurse/Attendant work in progress by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50965550071_dbf8bde0af_c.jpg1/35 WWI Ambulance driver and Nurse/Attendant work in progress by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50964842543_d1ca6870b3_c.jpg1/35 WWI Ambulance driver and Nurse/Attendant work in progress by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The back of the ambulance has had a coat of paint, but I had run out of Humbrol Matt White spray, and used Revell satin instead, which I’m not entirely happy with.

50965550121_f85bcb2103_c.jpg1/35 WWI Ambulance driver and Nurse/Attendant work in progress by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

While that was going on, the T chassis got a coat of black (any colour, etc...) although I have seen a few pictures that suggest 1917 engine blocks may have been a dark green shade. whatever, the black will do. Depending on whether you believe the ICM or Revell instructions, the fenders etc could be OD or black, my view is that external surfaces at least will be OD.

50966366753_aa36e37a0a_c.jpgModel T chassis by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 5

What often appeals to me with WWI stuff is that these were produced in such tiny numbers, I think something like 8 MG carriers in total, the Austin armoured cars never had much more than a dozen in service, and so on. By comparison,Mark IV and V tanks, and the Renault FT were produced en masse, and that contrast always intrigues me.

The Austin’s’ finest hour came in support of the Australians during the 1918 Amiens offensive, whereas the Canadian carriers had already proved their worth during the spring German offensive, and relatively few were still in action by the summer/autumn offensive, although at least one made it all the way to Germany.

• Like 1

Managed a sneaky day off work today. First task was to stock up on some primer/etch primer/base coat paint. Model shops may still be closed but Halfords click and collect is still available.

50972002348_e1e3442d79_c.jpgStocking up by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

That done, I spent the morning pottering on the 1917 Ford production line.

First up, converting an ICM pickup chassis to left hand drive:

50972671531_f369bd1495_c.jpgUphall 1917 Ford Model T production line by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50972779652_d5123ab5b5_c.jpgUphall 1917 Ford Model T production line by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

This means I now have three Model T Fords in build, two ambulances and the truck. 

50972671551_5502839583_c.jpgUphall 1917 Ford Model T production line by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Meanwhile, Nurse Lauren and Driver Hardy look on bemused:

50971979653_b85c298d12_c.jpgNurse Lauren and Driver Hardy by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The truck will be based on the US Army photographic unit one featured in this month’s Classic Military Vehicle magazine :

https://www.keymilitary.com/article/shooting-war

50972728956_85867b11df_c.jpgUS Army photographer and Model T Ford truck by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The original photo is copyright expired so I trust it can be shared here. However I would urge anyone interested to get hold of a copy of the magazine, there’s usually at least one WWI article each month.

• Like 1

The truck needed the floor narrowing, in the photo it appears to run direct front to rear inside the line of the mudguards, although in other respects the front dash panel, canvas roof etc appear similar to the ambulance in proportions.

On the model I’ve used the floor of the ambulance, shortened and narrowed. The dash panel is a resin replacement from SBS, which includes the wiring on the firewall.

50973535123_c0e238a6b3_c.jpgReplacement dash panel from SBS by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Apart from that, I’ve been preparing suspension and drivetrain components for assembly later. Progress was slowed by stabbing my left thumb with a scalpel, deep enough that it made holding parts difficult, even after several hours and several attempts to steristrip the hole. 🤣

• Like 3