Rhomboid ramblings

06/24

57 minutes ago, Biggu said:

I am going to follow along if it's ok, I love these tanks....... I am most interested in how you finish and weather it.....

Jeff

Me too. Last time I built one it ended up too dark and chocolate brown, thinking I need to go lighter with this one.

47 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Ditto. Another kit I've wanted to do and would love them to release one without the motorised parts. Look forward to the build.👍

All the bits need to build a static one are there, but I loved the effect of movement when I built one back when they first came out. Apart from a tiny switch underneath, once finished there’s nothing to give away that it’s motorised. Mind you the Takom version looks good.

• Like 2

I have long thought from the pigmentation that WW1 Service Brown must be very similar to WW2 SCC2.  Both were used as a response to the inability to make greens using chromium pigments, using UK-sourced clay pigment.  Having finally gotten hold of a reprint of Warpaint vol1 I see that Dick Taylor thinks the same.

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not much to add to today’s photos, progress continues to be easy, parts fit is exemplary and the clever construction, using poly caps to make substantial sections removable for maintenance is very very clever.

• Like 3

I hope you all had a good day yesterday, whatever you celebrate. I spent the day cooking and generally overindulging, which was nice.

This afternoon I began the sponsons. I have a strong temptation to try and scratch build a supply tank, but decided to build the sponsons and weapons up normally to begin with.

50761634618_29ce78b58f_c.jpgSix pounders and sponsons by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 7

All major construction finished, there was brief moment of panic when it refused to run but a quick tweak and we have movement. The remaining parts either need to wait until I’ve painted (Lewis guns and exhaust system) or need removable rubber cement (unditching beam rails and axle end nuts) so they can be removed for maintenance. 

A suitable figure for the roof hatch and a load of flimsies for the roof box will finish it off nicely.

50767105037_a9a23b2239_c.jpgTamiya Mark IV Male by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50766988491_c9d6b24801_c.jpgTamiya Mark IV Male by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 14

Good work, looking really nice.

Really wish Tamiya did a non motorised version of this, as it would drop the price to make it more affordable.

Guess i need to keep doing the lottery!

George

• Like 3

It does rather surprise me they haven’t, especially given the parts for a static one are included. I wonder if the overall sales have been insufficient to tempt them (a bit chicken and egg since a cheaper version might improve sales) as they’ve never expanded on the WW1 range as far as I’m aware?

Making up some stowage for the roof box:

50775018992_c7fd8489e7_c.jpgMaking 2 Gallon cans and a tarp by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The roof box contains Tamiya’s one main “error” in that it features two hatches which are apparently a post-war addition to the Bovington example, so not an error at all if you model the tank as preserved, but possibly worth removing if building an in service example. I didn’t find this out until it was too late, so although I’ve removed the raised details from mine, they will be buried in stowage to hide them. The model also lacks a radiator filler, but that’s apparently only a feature on some tanks, depending on which radiator is fitted. I’ve added one from styrene tube and a cap from a WW2 jerrycan- probably not strictly correct but it won’t be far out.

• Like 4

You can just make out the radiator filler ahead of the roof box:

50774818143_62ddab0678_c.jpgStowage and details by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50775683757_63f6b9de9b_c.jpgStowage and details by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The  rails for the unditiching beam are split to allow the roof to be removed for maintenance, if you are building a static model the joins could obviously be filled and smoothed. For now, just the main part has been fitted, the front and rear sections will be added after main painting:

50775683827_e0f4b6ded3_c.jpgStowage and details by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 9

Apologies for lack of updates, I need to wait for good weather to prime (have to spray outside) and currently we have snow, so not ideal! I have filled the side seams on the 2 Gallon petrol cans but that doesn’t make for an exciting picture!

Trying to decide what next, an FWD Model B truck or a Renault FT tank.

• Like 2

I have one of each Meng kit, so can reproduce a pair with both the riveted omnibus turret and the rounded Giroud version. Unfortunately decals for WW1 vehicles seem to be like the proverbial hen’s teeth, so I may struggle to get two sets of US markings, but the diamonds might be simple enough to to mask and paint.

First order of business was to scratch build a bulkhead for the rear of the crew compartment (although the riveted turret version includes the drivers position, there is no rear bulkhead, which comes on the engine sprue in the full interior version.

50787228057_7f740323bf_c.jpgMeng FT bulkhead by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I haven’t reproduced all of the rivets/ bolt heads on the kit part, I doubt much will be visible and this is just to ensure there is something in place as a view blocker.

• Like 3

Progress on the pair of little FTs has been slow, as I want have them at least partially unbuttoned, which in turn means I need to understand the interior fittings. Not a problem for the 37mm fitted one, for which there seems to be broad agreement, but the Hotchkiss armed variant throws up something of a mystery in terms of ammunition stowage. Since it’s interior will be, to some extent, conjectural, I’ll model it with figure obscuring the view, and with the main hatches at the front closed, just the drivers visor and turret hatches open (and possibly not even the latter).

Anyway, progress to date:

50804455417_0ff31f9762_c.jpgRenault FT 1/35 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50804344286_0949175c85_c.jpgRenault FT 1/35 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50804719817_90689b2cee_c.jpgMeng FT by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 8