SAAF Spitfire Mk Vc's

72modeler

With the release of the new-tool Airfix kit as well as the fact that there are many modelers who like the Vc's  in those markings, I thought it might be useful to start a forum topic where interested modelers could post and have one location for rreferences. One reason I like SAAF Spits, especially No. 2 and No, 3 Sq. Vc's is they are about the only units that used the 4 cannon fit to any extent- in Italy. Probably not going to post anything on the topic that @tonyot doesn't already have in his archives, but you never know.... To get the ball rolling, here is a  nice photo/cpf I just discovered of a No. 1 Sq Vb, which as it turns out, is incorrectly identified as a Vc. :sorry: (Thanks for the correction, guys!)

Mike

(Link originannly posted does not work- see proper link below!)

Edited by 72modeler
corrected text, removed link
  • Like 3

Hello!

Most of internet data seems to have Spitfirec ER882 as Vb subtype. It appears these were sometimes flown without canopy and was the reason of my unanswered questions about 1 Sqn SAAF code colours etc. in the recent Britmodeller thread: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235085085-amazing-resource-of-private-ww2-aircraft-photos-saaf-check-it-out/

To repeat:

• What colour are the 1 Sqn SAAF codes AX-? They look almost white. Smaller code was under the nose, likely the same colour and much lighter than the underside.
  • Were RAF cockade centers always orange on the 1 Sqn SAAF planes?
  • 1 Sqn SAAF planes, Spitfires at least, did have RAF marking red spinner and wing tips upper and lower sides?

But yes SAAF Sptifire Vc are very interesting topic and a pair is hopefully floating/rolling toward my place as I am writing.

Cheers,
Kari

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

With the release of the new-tool Airfix kit as well as the fact that there are many modelers who like the Vc's  in those markings, I thought it might be useful to start a forum topic where interested modelers could post and have one location for rreferences. One reason I like SAAF Spits, especially No. 2 and No, 3 Sq. Vc's is they are about the only units that used the 4 cannon fit to any extent- in Italy. Probably not going to post anything on the topic that @tonyot doesn't already have in his archives, but you never know.... To get the ball rolling, here is a  nice photo/cpf I just discovered of a No. 1 Sq Vc. 

Mike

d11ba5aef132b323ca972823c0b24a16.jpg (937×960) (pinimg.com)

Link does not work

That one works OK

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

With the release of the new-tool Airfix kit as well as the fact that there are many modelers who like the Vc's  in those markings, I thought it might be useful to start a forum topic where interested modelers could post and have one location for rreferences. One reason I like SAAF Spits, especially No. 2 and No, 3 Sq. Vc's is they are about the only units that used the 4 cannon fit to any extent- in Italy. Probably not going to post anything on the topic that @tonyot doesn't already have in his archives, but you never know.... To get the ball rolling, here is a  nice photo/cpf I just discovered of a No. 1 Sq Vc. 

Mike

d11ba5aef132b323ca972823c0b24a16.jpg (937×960) (pinimg.com)

Link does not work

It figures! Why is it that a modeling project I am hot to do has no available decals, photos, or is incorrectly identified? Thanks for the correction.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling