1/72 - MiG-25PD "Foxbat-E" by ICM - released

Homebee

On the ICM web site you can download the instruction booklet for the new 1/72 MIG-25PD kit (pdf format) shows sprue items, order of assembly and marking options 2 x USSR, 1 Iraqi, 1 Lybian these marking options are the exact ones given in their 1/48 kit... you can also see all the sprue photos on their site

Instructions link https://icm.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/72177_manual_web.pdf

Unlike their 1/48 kit there are no R-60s unfortunately.

The IRST fairing is on the radome sprue see below image

spacer.png

No flare dispensers are provided NOR are there any RWR blisters provided on the sides of the intakes (Note Tom Cooper's critique about the 3 common mistakes about building Iraqi Mig-25's from 1991 conflict (1. Flare chaff dispensers required 2. Iraqi National Flag Arabic "Allah Akbar" writing required and 3. RWR blisters required see http://aviationgeekclub.com/here-are-some-tips-for-building-an-accurate-model-of-an-iraqi-mig-25-foxbat/

Does anyone have a photo of Iraqi Mig-25 serial "25201" which is depicted in the 1/48 and 1/72 ICM kits? The arabic numerals are clearly 25201 see below images of 1/72 and 1/48 decals respectively

spacer.png

spacer.png

Curiously Wings Palette has an aircraft "35301" as a MIG-25BM (see below) just wondering who is correct? You will see the extra notch on the arabic numeral for 3

spacer.png

Edited by Uncle Dick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 1:07 AM, ICMF said:

Belenko's jet was quite significantly different from the PD.  The nose section in front of the canopy was totally re-done - most notably, the prominent IRST bulge was added under the nose, but even the panel lines are wildly different.

Unfortunately it's pretty unlikely that ICM (or any Eastern European manufacturer) will release one, either.  The first generation Foxbats didn't have an interesting history apart from Belenko, and he's not exactly a celebrated figure there.  It'd be a bit like getting a kit of one of the 9/11 airliners.

Condor from Ukraine has released a MiG-25P in 1/72. And Begemot has the decals for Belenkos ride. And Hannant's has both.

Edited by Tomppa B
Adding information.

The instructions show 4 sprue K's are included, and these look like R-40TD missiles to me:

72177-3.jpg

So no R-40RDs and no R-60s, a pity. Still, this looks like a considerable improvement over ICM's previous tooling of the MiG-25PD.

Condor indeed makes a MiG-25P. I think it is rather basic, though. Perfectly buildable, just low on detail. Maybe the nose part (and wingtip pods for early version) could be used for conversion work.

Edited by Apex
  • Like 1

Libyan air force MiG-25PD also had RWR fairings and overwing flare dispensers.  I don't want to fall foul of copyright but a Google search of Libya MiG-25 comes up with plenty of photos

I also can't tell from the online manual whether this new ICM boxing has the correct MiG-25 fighter wings, which were different from the recce versions.  Any thoughts?

I am not a subject matter expert here but it looks to me that the wings are different. In the instructions, I mean. Slightly more span (compare the panel lines near the wingtip pods), a small change of leading edge sweep near the outer pylon. These are the essential differences. ICM put the sprue shots online: https://icm.com.ua/en/aviation/mig-25-pd-2/ - however these clearly show the recce version wings. I think it is just a wrong picture, the link seems to refer to kit 72172 (RBT), not 72177 (PD): https://icm.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/72172_1.jpg.

Perhaps it is a good idea to wait for inbox review or better pictures from ICM.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Apex said:

I am not a subject matter expert here but it looks to me that the wings are different. In the instructions, I mean. Slightly more span (compare the panel lines near the wingtip pods), a small change of leading edge sweep near the outer pylon. These are the essential differences. ICM put the sprue shots online: https://icm.com.ua/en/aviation/mig-25-pd-2/ - however these clearly show the recce version wings. I think it is just a wrong picture, the link seems to refer to kit 72172 (RBT), not 72177 (PD): https://icm.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/72172_1.jpg.

Perhaps it is a good idea to wait for inbox review or better pictures from ICM.

Cool, thanks @Apex that's encouraging.  As you say, best to wait for someone to get their hands on the plastic to do a comparison

19 hours ago, Apex said:

The instructions show 4 sprue K's are included, and these look like R-40TD missiles to me:

72177-3.jpg

So no R-40RDs and no R-60s, a pity. Still, this looks like a considerable improvement over ICM's previous tooling of the MiG-25PD.

Condor indeed makes a MiG-25P. I think it is rather basic, though. Perfectly buildable, just low on detail. Maybe the nose part (and wingtip pods for early version) could be used for conversion work.

What @Apex said is true: the wings do seem to be those from the RB recon series, and when I saw the 5300 liter ventral drop tank I got a bit confused since I don't recall ever seeing a Foxbat interceptor with it. 🤔

From the ICM 48th scale thread in britmodeller Rui Silva posted the below answer

Did the PD version use the external fuel tank?

According to Yefim Gordon's book "Mikoyan MiG-25 Foxbat", the PD was able to carry the same 5300 litre drop tank as the -25R versions.

The original interceptor -25P and updated -25PDS versions could not carry the drop tank.

And again from same thread exdraken posted below image Iraqi interceptor with drop tank (reportedly PDS but according to above should be PD)?

spacer.png

Edited by Uncle Dick

On 1/8/2021 at 4:04 PM, Uncle Dick said:

That link does not seem to work for me - it looks like there's an s missing after http: 

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/here-are-some-tips-for-building-an-accurate-model-of-an-iraqi-mig-25-foxbat/

Great article, by the way - very helpful.

Cheers,

Andre

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - MiG-25PD "Foxbat-E" by ICM - released
On 1/10/2021 at 2:14 AM, Uncle Dick said:

From the ICM 48th scale thread in britmodeller Rui Silva posted the below answer

And again from same thread exdraken posted below image Iraqi interceptor with drop tank (reportedly PDS but according to above should be PD)?

spacer.png

At Begemot's decal sheet instruction there is written, that Iraqi MiG-25PD were upgraded to PDS in 1984/85 and the only Export Foxbats, that were upgraded.
Could it be and so, Iraqi PDS were able to carry tanks ?
But I thought, PDS is upgraded P to PD standard (?).

• 5 weeks later...

I received the kit today.

Looks nice in the box. :)

Looking forward to get the PU and start building four of them in different versions.

Aftermarket is already giving nice upgrades.

• Like 2

On 10/02/2021 at 22:30, MiG-Mech said:

I received the kit today.

Looks nice in the box. :)

Looking forward to get the PU and start building four of them in different versions.

Aftermarket is already giving nice upgrades.

Got mine today as well. A great improvement over the old #72171 which was, for quite some time, the best Foxbat in 1/72 scale. The decal sheet is almost identical, only missing the Ukrainian Air Force markings.

Bought a set of R-60's with dual launchers from Eduard Brassin to complement it, and I suspect I'll soon be ordering more sets... and Foxbats. 😎

Edited by CharlieGolf2009
  • Like 3