Bell X-1: RIP Chuck - Tamiya 1/72

CedB

15 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'll keep an eye on proceedings here too quite happily. Maybe I am the only person on BM not to have read "The Right Stuff" but the X-1 & the General have never featured high on my radar, maybe I can learn some more to change that, he sure did have an amazing career.

Steve.

No not the only one, not even sure if it sits upstairs in the library...walks off painfully upstairs to look.

Nope, I have Michael Collins's Carrying The Fire and Moondust about Neil Armstrong but nothing about the Sound Barrier days.

It's ok guys don't worry, the book is on order.

Chuck truly was a great and brave man and this thread, more even than many other Ced stories is one to follow.

• Like 6

Twenty-five posts - crikey, I'd better settle with a mug of coffee and see what's what…

Welcome hendie, Alistair, Giorgio, CC, Bill, dnl42, Roger, Crisp, Ian, Keith, Mark, Simon, Versa, Dennis, Fritag, Stevenz, Johnny, HP42 (hi Phil, nice to see you) and phil :)

Phew, nice crowd.

Some answers required…

23 hours ago, John_W said:

Hmm, wheels down or wheels up?

😎

Down for this one, with a transparent side.

18 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I'm in. :popcorn:  Did you know that Glamorous Glennis' maiden name was Dickhouse?

Say WHAT! :D 

Now, be careful when you write "Chuck Yeager®" as his second wife and kids trademarked his name, along with everything else about him. Chuck was OK, but I'm more of a Scott Crossfield kinda guy myself. Someone who was a test pilot and an aeronautical engineer (Masters Degree from University of Washington). If you haven't read it, Crossfield's book "Always Another Dawn" is a great look at the whole test pilot thing in the 50s here in the US.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill - I'll watch out for the lawyers, shotgun at the ready :D 

I've wasted a lot of time trying to match Tamiya paint colours from my non-Tamiya stock.

Horrid.

My iModelKit app was misbehaving too, so mixing from stock proved difficult.

I did have a nice email trail with the CEO of the company who wrote the app and we sorted it out. Apparently Apple have changed the 'tap time' so now, sometimes, you have to double tap. Weird.

He did say they're working on a new version that should run on iPad and Macs too - can't wait!

I finally remembered that Tamiya paints often need mixing to get a correct colour so thought 'blow it' and decided that:

X 10 Gun Metal and XF 16 Flat Aluminium would be AK paste (usual for me)

X 11 Chrome Silver would be Molotow Chrome (see below)

X 18 Semi-Gloss Black = Hu 21

XF 1 Flat Black I have

XF 7 Flat Red = Hu 153 or 60

XF-7 Flat Green = Hu 105

XF 20 Medium Grey would be MSG or, maybe, Lifecolour 094+093

The main waste of my time was the XF-4 Yellow Green for the internal tanks. I thought I might try iModelKit's suggested Hu 81+30 but I only have enamel in those.

And there are no reference shots of the actual tanks I can find.

So I may just do Vallejo Internal Green.

Or maybe they were Zinc Chromate? This post says Hu81 is a decent match and I have that.

Anyway, chrome is chrome so, gulp, out with the Molotows.

I normally have problems with these in common with others; the paint just fizzes.

This time I shook and shook and shook…

Fizz.

Took out the pump and wiped it.

Got some chrome on the bench and use that:

50754914211_43eab600e7_z.jpg

Bit better on these tanks:

50754183418_9f61b28014_z.jpg

Internals will get a wash anyway.

I'm here now:

50754909856_154a1d3708_z.jpg

• Like 19

Hi There,

I don't know of this will help but for the external colour on my Eduard version of this I used the Tamiya mix of 8 Parts Orange (X6) to 1 part Clear Red (X27) and it looked good to me.

I can't remember what I used for the Cockpit but I think it was Hu-116 US Dark Green.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Ced, 

You might want to consider a “wavy-line” paint mask for the see-thru side instead of just using the fuselage parting line as the border between opaque and clear. I built a “cut away” build of the 1/48 Tamiya MIG-15 last year (a wonderful kit) and did this type of paint mask which I think made it look more like a cut away illustration as well as helped to hide the ugly fuselage bond joint. 
spacer.png

spacer.png

What ever way you go, I look forward to watching your X-1 build progress. Just try not to “screw the pooch”! (I couldn’t resist....one of my favorite lines from The Right Stuff ..).

John.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

On 24/12/2020 at 15:47, AliGauld said:

Hi There,

I don't know of this will help but for the external colour on my Eduard version of this I used the Tamiya mix of 8 Parts Orange (X6) to 1 part Clear Red (X27) and it looked good to me.

I can't remember what I used for the Cockpit but I think it was Hu-116 US Dark Green.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, very helpful :) 

I bought the Tamiya paints for the external mix so I'm OK with that colour thanks.

I had selected Hu106 for the internals but I only have an enamel in that so I'll have a test with Hu116 acrylic and see how it goes - thanks again.

On 24/12/2020 at 16:17, nearsightedjohn said:

Hey Ced, 

You might want to consider a “wavy-line” paint mask for the see-thru side instead of just using the fuselage parting line as the border between opaque and clear. I built a “cut away” build of the 1/48 Tamiya MIG-15 last year (a wonderful kit) and did this type of paint mask which I think made it look more like a cut away illustration as well as helped to hide the ugly fuselage bond joint. 
spacer.png

spacer.png

What ever way you go, I look forward to watching your X-1 build progress. Just try not to “screw the pooch”! (I couldn’t resist....one of my favorite lines from The Right Stuff ..).

John.

Thanks John :D 

It will indeed be wavy lines: I'd challenged hendie to do that on his Pullman build so it's only fair.

I'm going to try freehand masking with a Molotov masking pen as I don't have much luck with Tamiya for curves (I know Ran had problems too).

Fingers crossed!

On 24/12/2020 at 20:38, Navy Bird said:

True fact. I wonder how many kids they had?

I'll get me :coat:

Cheers,

Bill

Four! According to this. Doesn't look as though they were too happy about his second wife though! Yikes!

Hu81 enamel on the tanks:

50758616296_8d7fdd1cef_z.jpg

Looks a bit greener in real life so good enough for me. When it dries. Eventually.

I plumped for Hu27 for the internal grey:

50757912198_a6bb0835c5_z.jpg

Not much will be seen and some of the cockpit bits will be greened when I check the references.

Now then, then instruments. There's some great pictures on the Smithsonian site so I thought 'Hey, why not download one and use it for the panel:

50761338918_d7fce202fe_z.jpg

Imported into Inkscape and scaled to the kit - the main panel is 6mm so it's small.

Should look OK?

We shall see…

• Like 16

1 minute ago, giemme said:

Are you going to print the IP onto decal paper?

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Now there's a thought. I was going to stick on the paper but a decal might settle over the kit lumps and save me shaving them off.

I shall ponder…

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, CedB said:

Looks a bit greener in real life

Yellow green is indeed what Tamiya recommend for zinc chromate - and is more yellow than green.... :whistle:

But no matter, those tanks look very nice anyway! 

Looking forward to seeing how the IP comes out!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Keith - it won't be long now :) 

The images were printed on white decal paper and, when dry, sealed with clear glaze:

50762699387_3fdb0a5781_z.jpg

When that was dry they were cut out (more or less), lined up and applied with Micro Set:

50763024806_4c5190c326_z.jpg

…making sure the top dials were lined up. It looks like some will be lost when it's trimmed and painted in.

Ho hum. Not much will be seen inside once it's closed up.

• Like 12

crikey that IP is tiny. When I zoom in the dials look a bit crackled, is that just because they’re so tiny or have the decals cracked a bit. Looks great without zooming in though so not to worry. The wavy line thing @nearsightedjohn suggested is such a great idea. I have the mig kit. Started me all thinking. 🤔

Keep it up dear boy. Looking goooood. 😍

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

crikey that IP is tiny. When I zoom in the dials look a bit crackled, is that just because they’re so tiny or have the decals cracked a bit. Looks great without zooming in though so not to worry. The wavy line thing @nearsightedjohn suggested is such a great idea. I have the mig kit. Started me all thinking. 🤔

Keep it up dear boy. Looking goooood. 😍

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :)

Tiny it is. I must resist the attempt to detail too much, especially as not much will be visible, even with the door open.

The transfers need matting off but they have been trimmed:

50764921178_4e02a2a026_z.jpg

I think you're right about the transfer - the Micro Sol has wrinkled over the kit lumps:

50764924593_35ca4c8a10_z.jpg

I'm not sure if that's caused by the clear varnish, the InkJet ink or what.

That's the last time I'll be zooming in!

Green on the internals, detailing to come.

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

It's a good job men don't take their wives names then....Chuck Dickhouse doesn't have quite the same ring to it!

Lovely progress so far Ced!

Ian

:rofl2:

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Shoulda used Daco Strong Ced, mind you that is because I had too many fail alerts from the Microsol

My preferred nowadays method has Micro Set under the 'decal'  and when dry a bit later (I dont wait til tomorrow as I should) dab a small amount of 'Strong' over it.

Looks very nice work so far, a wobbly clear patch will be ideal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bill :) 

I have some Strong but use it with care! The i/p is OK as long as I don't zoom in.

Just so you know I haven't been slacking:

50766175356_0a03ced41f_z.jpg

Green bits, shiny tank in and then dry fit so I could glue in the side panel:

50770630371_1ff79d077f_z.jpg

That Rizla paper in the clip is for the ??? bit that might be a strap/cover?

Some Aizu tape painted for the belts:

50769883843_24094bb14d_z.jpg

Almost ready - the floor of the test equipment bay needs to be yellow green too:

50769885348_574901d075_z.jpg

Getting there.

• Like 16

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looking good so far Ced, awaiting the next update now

Stay safe       Roger

Thanks Roger. Wait no longer! :) 

12 hours ago, Massimo said:

Good choice and good way to pay homage to one of the greatest!

I'll be watching closely!!!👏

Thanks Massimo :) 

What's this?

50774216737_80ed605d92_z.jpg

I was looking at that coloured cutaway and noticed the way they'd cut into the roundel (if that's what it's called?).

"I like that" I thought so I cut a wiggly line in the transfer.

Now what?

I had planned to use the Molotow masking pens for the clear bits but worries about creep and leaving it on for more than two days has led me to Tamiya masking.

So this:

50773358678_47581e7afb_z.jpg

Faithful old GyroCut gets an outing.

I think I may be using that a lot in the next few days.

Then the madness started:

50774161721_40eecc00c1_z.jpg

I've almost used up my old supply of fuse wire. Can anyone suggest a source of mixed wire for this sort of thing please?

I have lots of electronic cable, wine bottle wire and some lead but I'd like some more assorted stiff stuff.

Wouldn't we all (fnaar!) :D 

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

On 23/12/2020 at 22:38, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It’s a great book, but it’s principally about the Mercury 7 astronauts.  100% worth reading, though.

If you want even more Tom Wolfe goodness on aviation, seek out his piece “The Truest Sport: Jousting with Sam and Charlie” about flying USN A4s & F4s in Vietnam

"The Right Stuff" book is very good - but more a work of literature and psychology than aviation history. I first read it not long after it came out (1979) and have read it many times since.

The film is also good but played for laughs - which means that an awful lot of it is pure fiction - but still one of my favourites.

I have a lot of time for Scott Crossfield who, in the end, did far more test flying than Yeager did.

This documentary is well worth a look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Eric, I'll give that a look :) 

Right, I think I'm ready to close up.

The cockpit:

50775561918_ab87372f0e_z.jpg

…and some pipes in the back:

50775563488_850d55b864_z.jpg

If I close up and the enamel's still curing, what will happen to the clear fuselage?

Should I leave it for a while?

How long's a while?

• Like 12

Very effective interior details, Ced :clap: Can't wait to see the effect through the clear fuselage.

And yes, I'd leave the enamel cure for a while.

Which, for me, should be a good 24 hours. :winkgrin:

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great start on the kit, Ced! 👍 With your choice of of the subject you’re like a good DJ on the discotheque that’s always picking up the right track to play.

7 minutes ago, giemme said:

Same here, the 24 hours is the best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seriously my answer.

Build another model and give this one four or five days to 'cure'.

Then during your next masterclass in classy building go back and pop the halves together.

What are you doing next chum?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, giemme said:

Very effective interior details, Ced :clap: Can't wait to see the effect through the clear fuselage.

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Looking back at the photos it looks like the last enamel coat was five days ago so I should be fine.

14 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Great start on the kit, Ced! 👍 With your choice of of the subject you’re like a good DJ on the discotheque that’s always picking up the right track to play.

Same here, the 24 hours is the best.

Thanks Nikolay :) 

DJ eh? Yeah, get down…

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Seriously my answer.

Build another model and give this one four or five days to 'cure'.

Then during your next masterclass in classy building go back and pop the halves together.

What are you doing next chum?

Thanks Bill :) 

think it's been that long now.

Maybe tomorrow then.

I have to sort out the masking before close up too. And think about when the wings go on.

Doing next? You want me to have THREE on the go!

Hopefully the Belvedere and non join-up tasks will fill the time :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/29/2020 at 7:55 AM, Eric Mc said:

"The Right Stuff" book is very good - but more a work of literature and psychology than aviation history. I first read it not long after it came out (1979) and have read it many times since.

The film is also good but played for laughs - which means that an awful lot of it is pure fiction - but still one of my favourites.

I have a lot of time for Scott Crossfield who, in the end, did far more test flying than Yeager did.

This documentary is well worth a look.

Totally agree Eric, it is more literature than aviation history but it definitely give in an insight into the life of the test pilots of the time. Perhaps in a way that they themselves couldn't articulate. If you've read First Man you know what I mean. The movie too is art more than history. But worth seeing. If you can watch it on a UHD. TV it's spectacular. 

It's also nicer to Chuck than many of his contemporary test pilots were. 

Buried in my stash somewhere are two Tamiya X1s. Perhaps when I get the time I'll build one. 

As for this build, don't forget the broomhandle in the cockpit which he needed to close the door after his fall from a horse previously. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2