Bell X-1: RIP Chuck - Tamiya 1/72

CedB

I was very sad to hear of the passing of Chuck Yeager on 7th December 2020.

Of course Chuck was the first man to break the sound barrier in level flight (although many others had come close in dives), but he was also a consultant on Electronic Arts 1991 'Chuck Yeager's Air Combat' on which I (mis)spent many happy hours. There's a great video of the flight here and Chuck's Wiki entry is here.

In his memory I've bought this:

50719368057_2b127df8b5_z.jpg

I've done some research as usual. 

There are a few builds here on BM including Ran's:

…which I shall plagiarise terribly.

There's also a superb Walkaround from her current home in the Smithsonian.

I was childishly excited to see that you can build a 'see through' model so I'll be using one of these on 'the door side':

50719371662_161cbe8e63_z.jpg

There's more to see on the port cockpit wall.

Other part trees:

50751064542_84ce888cfc_z.jpg

Weight provided!

50751067062_436b51ab67_z.jpg

That's it, but the detail is superb:

50750964916_276574d6d1_z.jpg

50750967066_4b08c837b7_z.jpg

… if tiny.

I've started by Aqua Glossing the clear parts inside and out to protect them during handling:

50750216298_162d2cf9bc_z.jpg

I'll be doing this while the bits are drying on the Belvedere.

• Like 29

Really looking forward to this one.

A CedB build of one of my favourite aircraft that was featured at the start of one of my favourite films.

Magnificent performances from two very sadly missed people. 

The late great Sam Shepard and one of the greatest drummer/singers in history Levon Helm.

You've got me quite excited.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Good job CC !! First page !!

The passing away of Charles yeager made me really sad..

I commited a 1/48 Bell X-1 years ago and I'm about to finish "Glamorous Glenn III"

Go on Ced !! A see through kit is a great idea !!

I take a seat at the bar as usual !!

Don't you worry for the tiny glasses of a windshield, the real thing was not tidy at all...

When I read it, it has been a kind of relief for my own kit :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Oooh, in on the first page for a great tribute to a great man.

Peanuts and beer on order. (Not sure I'll be able to eat and drink it all after Friday though...)

Ian

• Like 3

Nice build. Yes it’s been a bad year for celebrity. Chuck Yeager, Dave Greenfield, Florian Schneider, the list goes on.

A sad today as we had to say goodbye to our poor dog Daisy today, she was 14 and a bit; and frankly had more medical conditions than me, which is saying a lot, but still a sad day. Will follow along in the hope that a good @CedB thread will cheer me up a little.

Edited by Marklo
  • Sad 14

Could’ve (should’ve?) been ‘Winkle’ Brown in the Miles M52 first thro’ the sound barrier :D - but lest that smacks of churlishness (boo - hiss) wot an aviation legend (who here won’t have read and seen ‘The Right Stuff’? - and not a bad having yourself played by Sam Shepard neither :D)  PLUS I’m in the stalls (not quite front row but never mind) for a Ced build.......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 7

I'll keep an eye on proceedings here too quite happily. Maybe I am the only person on BM not to have read "The Right Stuff" but the X-1 & the General have never featured high on my radar, maybe I can learn some more to change that, he sure did have an amazing career.

Steve.

• Like 2

I always found it funny that Yeager is in the movie “The Right Stuff”, he plays the old grizzled bartender at Pancho Barnes place. Took me about a hundred times watching the movie to realize and catch it in the credits. Then had to replay the movie to see him. 

https://youtu.be/sgYH64y8DgU

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

I'm in. :popcorn:  Did you know that Glamorous Glennis' maiden name was Dickhouse?

Now, be careful when you write "Chuck Yeager®" as his second wife and kids trademarked his name, along with everything else about him. Chuck was OK, but I'm more of a Scott Crossfield kinda guy myself. Someone who was a test pilot and an aeronautical engineer (Masters Degree from University of Washington). If you haven't read it, Crossfield's book "Always Another Dawn" is a great look at the whole test pilot thing in the 50s here in the US.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Maybe I am the only person on BM not to have read "The Right Stuff"

Neither read the book nor watched the film. Might take a look at that book, could spark a bit more interest in post war aviation (in which I have only a passing interest) 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Neither read the book nor watched the film. Might take a look at that book, could spark a bit more interest in post war aviation (in which I have only a passing interest) 

It’s a great book, but it’s principally about the Mercury 7 astronauts.  100% worth reading, though.

If you want even more Tom Wolfe goodness on aviation, seek out his piece “The Truest Sport: Jousting with Sam and Charlie” about flying USN A4s & F4s in Vietnam

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ooh goody, I'm in on a Ced build. Oddly enough I have the exact same kit in the stash and it's risen towards the top of the pile in since he sadly passed. I also bought the paints too, I think it's a green orange mix to make the orange of the aircraft, but you've sussed it obviously. I saw the original in the Smithsonian a few years back, quite something, great museum.

CorsairFoxFourUncle, I hadn't realised that Chuck had made a cameo appearance in the film!

• Like 2

Will watch as usual as I have had this kit in the stash for quite some time.  Have thought about pulling it out several times but usually stuck trying to get reviews done so who knows when it will see the light.

Also have the Monogram X-15 (single kit and with the B-52 Mothership) kits hanging around.

Using the clear fuselage half, hmm, should be interesting.  Are you going to keep the whole side clear or just where it shows off some details and are you going to put the markings on that side?

• Like 2