Westland Wessex HAR Mk2 RAF Rescue. Italeri Sikorsky H-34 kit conversion. Why not...

heloman1

I'm a way into this build, I started it back in March during the initial lockdown. Never-the -less, I think it's worth sharing, we haven't had a 48th Wessex build here for  while!

A few years ago, I was offered a set of 'walkround' images but put them away (thinks, do I really want to build a crab Wessex).

Now, I'm part way into building the Wessex Family, I thought it pertinent to start the build.

I'm using the Italeri Sikorsky H-34 kit, with some of the parts from the ROTORcraft conversion set RC48-08. The H-34 kit offers the small cabin windows typical of RAF airframes. The H-34 kit was not available at the time of it's release, hence the ROTORcraft conversion set.

The box art...

spacer.png

Where I'm going...

spacer.png

My reference, besides the walkround images...

spacer.png

Port and starboard fuselage halves plus the ROTORcraft underside fuselage insert, it differs from the Mk5 . The white parts are add ons/corrections. I wonder why, these missing details haven't been picked up by one of the major AM PE companies?

spacer.png

Work on the main rotorblades, they really are quite simple detail wise! Cabin seats, main rotorhead gearbox and transmission platform, bottom right. Unfortunately most of the detail will be lost under the mesh grill! Also the brake caliper cylinders to the main wheels and some of the packs associated with the rescue fit plus the fire extinguisher for the front cabin bulkhead.

spacer.png

To follow, the detail I have to date added to the cabin interior. I will be using the Xtra-decals (image to follow) set plus some from the spares box.

Paint, I'm thinking Tamiya rattle can over white primer.

Until later, please enjoy. Comments and questions are as always very welcome.

Colin

• Like 14

Wessex! You've got walkarounds and Hendies Wessex builds for reference. And some of us are ex Wessex, so will help out too.

What could go wrong? What's that? You're starting with an Italeri kit? We're all doomed I tell ye!

21 hours ago, abat said:

Nice to see a new Wessex build Colin. Looking forward to seeing you progress through this one.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, thanks, a subject close to my heart. I worked on the Junglie Wessex for a good few years.

Colin

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Impressive, this will be good! Having done the very simple 'conversion' of the 1/72 Matchbox Wessex to an RAF HAR2 I'm looking forward to seeing it done properly! 

Thanks your Lordship, My fourth Wessex build in this scale, plus a few old Frog ones eons ago.

I see you are in Cheshire, I was raised in Sale, until I ran away to sea.

Stay watching...

Colin

19 hours ago, perdu said:

I simply can not be allowed to miss this one Colin and I won't.

👍

Hi Bill, glad to have you onboard, enjoy the ride/flight...

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Wessex! You've got walkarounds and Hendies Wessex builds for reference. And some of us are ex Wessex, so will help out too.

What could go wrong? What's that? You're starting with an Italeri kit? We're all doomed I tell ye!

Hi Pete, glad to have you looking in. Yes plenty of reference here on BM, including a couple of my builds.

I see you are in Cheshire, I grew up in Sale before I left at 17+ to sail the seas and become a Wessex grubber. So no shortage of reference and memories.

What could go wrong? Well yes Italeri have the habit of throwing curved balls. It seems every time I start another Wessex, I find yet another inaccuracy. The last kit it was the area behind the MRH grating, there is a couple of mm missing! Then, the crab Wessi has different panel lines form the WAFU (never says fish heads, we weren't) ones! Thankfully the 4+ book has accurate drawings.

All will be revealed...

Colin

• Like 2

22 hours ago, heloman1 said:do I really want to build a crab Wessex).

...do I really want to build a Crab Wessex?  

Got my attention, though you never really answered your own question.  Turncoat!

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Err, Lincolnshire. Born and raised in Leicestershire though.  I have driven through Sale. I can see why you ran away to sea.

Apologies Pete, saw my error after I had pressed send before I realised what I was doing! It5 was of course a reply to another post above! Sale was good until it was amalgamated with Greater Manchester.

Colin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Got my attention, though you never really answered your own question.  Turncoat!

Hi Crisp, good to have you tag along. Does the question need answering, or do I let it hang?

I originally wasn't going to build a Mk2 but then a family of Wessex builds with a hole in it would have been less than perfect.

Not a turncoat at all. Although I did get as far as RAD Cardington on the airman's selection. However, I argued with the interviewing officer! Two weeks later, I received a letter in the post , saying 'I was not the material they were looking for'! So a week or so later, I presented myself at the Navy requiting office in Manchester. In January of the following year, I was on a train to HMS Raleigh...

Colin

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm in! This will be interesting. I narrowly missed flying the Wessex 2 in training so had to make do with a few pax rides here and there, both in green and yellow cabs.

8 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Does the question need answering, or do I let it hang?

Of course it doesn't need answering - it's obvious! (Mind you, I think I'm in the minority here regarding my former employer...🚁)

Jon

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daedalus72 said:

Good to see another ex Grubber doing a Wessex, looking forward to seeing it progress

Welcome aboard. What is your connection with Daedalus, was it the FAA naval base?

Colin

OK guys, I'm in a bit of a quandary here. I have some photo reference that was given to me by a third party. They originally belonged to Tim Perry of PP Aeroparts. I have done a search amongst BM members but he is not here.
 I would like to seek his permission for the use of the interior shorts. Any suggestions?

Colin

1 hour ago, Daedalus72 said:

Hi Colin

Yep, I spent a lot of time at Daedalus doing training and then a stint on NATIU, and three years on the SAR flight.

Mike

Hi Mike. I was first there 68/69 on MATRSU, then went out to Singapore. Then again from early '70 through to '73 when my nine year engagement ended. In the main hanger with all the redundant Whirlwinds and Wessex's. Then Training Aids Workshop and finally the Dope Shop.

I also saw one of the club committee that ran the disco.

Good times

Colin

Ok guys, little update from the last build image. Here is where I'm at with the interior cabin walls and the plastic cladding.

I'm using foil after adding some rib detail. I also added some detail tot the cockpit sidewalls.

I now need to do some painting and then start adding the packs etc.

espacer.png

Until later.

Colin

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Doff or what? I poster images intended for the thread in my Seasprite build! Serves me right for having two builds here in the first place.

Ok, here are the detail images of the cabin  SAR gear.

Cabin looking forward, note floatation gear stowed in cabin whilst the aircraft (cab) is on the ground. Also the sea tray which extends across the cabin floor and up the 'walls'.

spacer.png

Port side looking forward, gear stowage bags.

spacer.png

Port side mid section...

spacer.png

Port side, looking aft, rear bulkhead with sea tray...

spacer.png

Starboard side rear...

spacer.png

Starboard side, crew seats and rescue gear...

spacer.png

Starboard side looking forward, note primer on forward part of the cabin door and the dinghy stowed under the crewman's seat...

spacer.png

Aircrew life vest...

spacer.png

Enjoy...

Colin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, perdu said:

Beautiful pictures Colin, I wish I'd had those when I built mine.

Thanks Bill, I wasn't going to build the crab version but a hole in my Wessex collection just wouldn't have looked right!

I've had the pics for over ten years, I thought, it's time I put then to good use.

I have to admit at present, it's taking second place to my Seasprite build and both of them in front of my Wessex protoype 'under construction' build. Still to decide if I'm going to pen a build thread/article on that one!

The Wessex prototype 'under construction' is based on a photo in the Haynes Wessex manual, page 17.

Colin

• Thanks 1