Corsairfoxfouruncle

Would a Chengdu F-7MG qualify?

If not that then an F-7BS or BG ?

If none of the above tweaked Chinese copies then I've some "proper" ones but they would be my second choice.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rossm said:

Would a Chengdu F-7MG qualify?

If not that then an F-7BS or BG ?

If none of the above tweaked Chinese copies then I've some "proper" ones but they would be my second choice.

I would think so, I believe they did last time we had a Mig-21 GB, but as its @Corsairfoxfouruncle (Dennis') GB then it would be his decision.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I would think so, I believe they did last time we had a Mig-21 GB, but as its @Corsairfoxfouruncle (Dennis') GB then it would be his decision.

Hello Craig and @rossm to answer everyones question the list below is THE list to go off of. It does include all Soviet, Eastern bloc, Chinese and Indian manufacturing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-21_variants

This includes one offs and prototypes, though I feel most of those will wind up in that build. Now as for the question of WHIF’s. I will allow a Whif one the basis of mockups. No paper projects. It should have at least 3d physicality for it to be ok. Whif’s based on non users might be ok, the Operator in question should have at least operated some form of Soviet jet prior to and possibly post the Mig-21’s usage. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Craig and @rossm to answer everyones question the list below is THE list to go off of. It does include all Soviet, Eastern bloc, Chinese and Indian manufacturing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-21_variants

This includes one offs and prototypes, though I feel most of those will wind up in that build. Now as for the question of WHIF’s. I will allow a Whif one the basis of mockups. No paper projects. It should have at least 3d physicality for it to be ok. Whif’s based on non users might be ok, the Operator in question should have at least operated some form of Soviet jet prior to and possibly post the Mig-21’s usage. 

Dennis

Excellent, please can I join?

• Like 1

Like someone above said, my stash was purpose built for this GB! I've got five or six Mig-21 kits sitting around.

One is the old OEZ 1/48 kit I bought at an airshow in the mid 90s. The guy who I was there with recommended it to me and later gave me a resin seat for it. So I should give that a shot.

I also have the Fujimi Mig 21 SMT which I won unexpectedly on eBay - someone was offloading a deceased estate's stash and there were all the Fujimi Mig-21s. I was outbid on all except the SMT - apparently as unloved by modelers as it was by pilots!

And then I've got maybe 4 Condor/Smer/Eastern Express 21s of different variants and the Begemot decal sheet.

I'm gonna try and do at least a couple of these.

• Like 1

Hi,

Here's my OEZ Mig-21.

I'm glad I built it, but it is obviously a kit that has been surpassed by the more recent Eduard kit.

According to scalemates.com, the initial release was in 1988. So, like the real Mig-21, this kit came from behind the Iron Curtain.

I bought mine in the early 1990's for 150 Belgian Francs (about 4€). 

5MsXnAz.jpg

I hope to build an Eduard Mig-21 Bis for the GB, also in Indian Air Force markings.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2021 at 7:21 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive not heard of the OEZ kit before

As Stefan says the OEZ kit came from Czechoslovakia when it was still part of the Warsaw Pact and was the best 1/48 Mig-21 around for a very long time and if I remember right could be built as a couple of different versions from MF/Bis/SMT and as Stefan shows above a nice model can be made from it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

As Stefan says the OEZ kit came from Czechoslovakia when it was still part of the Warsaw Pact and was the best 1/48 Mig-21 around for a very long time and if I remember right could be built as a couple of different versions from MF/Bis/SMT and as Stefan shows above a nice model can be made from it.

Out of the box it was the MF, I think. You had to cut off the spine and graft on a new one for the other versions, not something to be undertaken lightly given the "generous" thickness of the plastic but at least OEZ acknowledged the difference. 

It did build up nicely though. I remember buying the kit and Bill Gunston's book on the MiG at the same time so I had plenty of inspiration. A squadron of,  I think, SMTs had visited Finland in the mid 1980s and photos  were widely published in the Western aviation press, including the Gunston book. I set out to build one from the kit but chickened out when I realised the extent of the surgery needed to swap the spines. It ended up in Egyptian colours with markings from the spares box.

OEZ also produced a Su-7 and a Su-25, the moulds of which have had a long life in quite a few boxes. The Su-7 at least is still available from MisterKit, I bought one a couple of months ago. 

I suspect the Airfix/Heller/SMER MiG-17 also originated with OEZ as it has the same feel but I don't think it appeared under their name. 

The Mig-21 and the Su-7 were also released in ESCI boxes, portrait format which was quite unusual. 

I've no idea where the MiG-21 moulds are today or if it's still available. 

John 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, John said:

Out of the box it was the MF

Yes I believe you are right, and right about the fact that some serious surgery had to be performed to build the other versions, I don't blame you for not wanting to take the task on.

32 minutes ago, John said:

OEZ also produced a Su-7 and a Su-25

Indeed they did and both are still being produced to this day by KP and are still good kits, in fact KP have just released an updated Su-7U trainer based on this kit. 

37 minutes ago, John said:

I suspect the Airfix/Heller/SMER MiG-17 also originated with OEZ

I believe you may be right but can't remember seeing one in an OEZ box.

• Like 2

I bought a 1/72 Eduard MiG 21MF interceptor [Weekend Edition] last Saturday. It's a wondrous kit, but would take a lot of work to complete it to the standard it deserves, and I imagine it's going to be a very popular tooling (in its various incarnations) in this GB. So I will go for something simpler, as in the old KP/Mastercraft kit:

210954-12155-20-pristine.jpg

As I recall, this kit was rated as accurate - for its time. I also have a Mistercraft kit of the same version with very similar boxart, but that is the ex-Pantera kiŧ.

Also, I have the a Zvezda "bis" (Fishbed-L), which I should dig out of the stash:

1214628-29300-57-720.jpg

I also have two Revell kits of the early F-13 (Fishbed-C) variant, but I probably won't have the time for those.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

I'll tentatively sign up with an Eduard 1/48 Bis in Croatian AF markings. 

Added to the list, no worries it just shows intent. We understand things happen and life gets in the way so if you cant again no worries. 

• Like 2

So I have bought the academy Mig 21 mf for the GB but according to my (limited) research is happier as a Mig 21 Bis so far so good. My biggest problem now is that there is still a bewildering choice of colour schemes to choose from so far I’m leaning towards either a Slovakian machine in greys or an Egyptian one. 

874fe5bd-d120-45b6-ba5f-6eff627210a1.jpe

271c6632-dfad-4c7a-b66c-866791bf0a6d.jpe

My main request is this, could the reference section and or an inspiration gallery be put up ahead of time to help us all decide on which machine to model?

6 hours ago, Brad said:

I'll be joining in here with a 1/32 Chinese F-7II.

Welcome aboard sir. 

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

My main request is this, could the reference section and or an inspiration gallery be put up ahead of time to help us all decide on which machine to model?

I will see about adding an inspiration gallery as soon as we’re up and running as a build. Until then everyone is welcome to post photo’s and links here in the conversation or chat thread. Im more partial to the Egyptian scheme but its your build. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2021 at 8:22 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im more partial to the Egyptian scheme but its your build. 

Yeah I think I might be too but the kit schemes are also pretty good, still six months to make up my mind :) 

oh err, make that three.. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was keen to do another MiG-21 after building a Bulgarian MiG-21bis earlier this year and promptly signed up for this STGB.

BG_Mig21bis_Finished_11

The GB calendar does give me a problem with some non-modelling commitments, but I am keen to participate. At least get the start in the GB or complete it as a possible personal blitz build. Chosen subject is another Eduard 1/48 with a little aftermarket - wheels and jet pipe. Also keeping my current Vietnam theme going with a NMF subject OOB. Nice pairing with my recently completed Tamiya F-4B. Always fun with NMF and looking forward to using AK Xtreme Metal again.

BM 21PF WIP1

Count me in.

Just as an aside, if anyone is doing a late model 1/48 bis using the Eduard rendition and want to correct the nose profile, for which I used the CWS (Cold War Studios) resin conversion kit, I discuss this and the nose change in my WIP as linked below. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235084034-another-mig-148-bulgarian-mig-21bis-finished/

Ray

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

The GB calendar does give me a problem with some non-modelling commitments, but I am keen to participate

Oddly enough was just shopping for my kit. Looking at an Eduard either 1/72 MF in Polish or Arab finish. That or splurging for the 1/48 Mig-21R Profipack kit ? Don't forget you can get up to 25% complete before we start. So if it helps get all the sub assemblies built up and painted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1