Corsairfoxfouruncle

9 hours ago, Natter said:

A bit of a late reply, but...

Enzo describes the Zvesda Mig-21bis as a joy to build, and I have to agree with that assessment. I built one about a year ago and didn't do a WiP, but the RFI can be found at this link. An aftermarket seat and the vanes on the pitot were my only additions.

Thanks for the reply, as per Paul Bradley I whilst I'm personally fine with building a Russian Aircraft, and indeed in historic markings I'm not comfortable buying from a Russian company,  so will be the getting the Eduard Kit edIt just bid on a KP kit 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Pulling out of this one. Sorry, just doesn't feel good to build a Russian aircraft right now. 

Just a personal decision. 

I completely understand. Just a matter of poor timing the build and a war happen together. 

• Like 2

I too am dropping out of this GB*, and probably all GBs until further notice. I am still working on range of kits, but my heart isn't really in it, except where it serves to keep my mind off things for a while. The idea that we can continue discussing our hobby without any meaningful reference to the real world just doesn't work for me (to put it mildly).

*Even though Mikoyan was Armenian, and Gurevich (who was of Jewish heritage) never joined the Communist party.

• Sad 2

@klr I am sorry to see a fellow modeler lose interest but understand the reasons for it. Im no fan of Russia (I have no issue’s with the Russian people) or whats is going on currently. Though if it helps I view modeling as an escape and always will be from the real world. Someplace to not think about things for a little while. At least no further than where does the next piece go or what color comes next. 

Dennis

🇺🇦

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

Sad news (though obviously nothing compared to further east) Romanian Mig21 reported missing about an hour ago due to bad weather, pilot status unknown and the SAR helicopter looking for it also missing crew status unknown. :( 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Sad 2

I would like to ask for advice regarding Cuban Mig-21s... I have the Aztec modelling decal sheet "Cuban Raiders" which includes several colorful camo options for Cuban jets, as well as the Eduard Mig-21MF kit (the fighter bomber boxing), however doing some research on the internet, it seems to be that most of the colorful (blue/green) camo Migs from Cuba are in fact BIS variants from the 1990s. The Aztec decal sheet lists them as MF variants though. Is the Aztec sheet wrong?

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/decals/az/pages/aztec_72047_p.shtml

I would be interested in reg. no 665 and 656 black...

Alternatively, I could a differnt (brown/green) camo PFM, but I don't have the correct Eduard boxing for that.

Thanks in advance.

23 minutes ago, drake122 said:

I would like to ask for advice regarding Cuban Mig-21s... I have the Aztec modelling decal sheet "Cuban Raiders" which includes several colorful camo options for Cuban jets, as well as the Eduard Mig-21MF kit (the fighter bomber boxing), however doing some research on the internet, it seems to be that most of the colorful (blue/green) camo Migs from Cuba are in fact BIS variants from the 1990s. The Aztec decal sheet lists them as MF variants though. Is the Aztec sheet wrong?

Alternatively, I could a differnt (brown/green) camo PFM, but I don't have the correct Eduard boxing for that.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Drake let me see what I can find out ? Someone else may have the answer so patience is key here. 

ok found this thread, its talking about Finnish Mig’s but is describing BIS vs MF. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235056707-differences-in-mig-21-variants-mf-and-bis/

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, drake122 said:

Thanks in advance.

Found this so far, will continue looking.

https://www.laahs.com/the-cuban-migs/

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drake122 said:

According to "Latin American Fighters" by Harpia all Mig-21's in Cuban service with numbers starting with a 6 are of the bis version, for M's and MF's the numbers start with a 5, so it looks like the decals sheet is wrong, an unfortunately very common occurrence.

🇺🇦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the help!

I found this site:

http://www.urrib2000.narod.ru/EqMiG21-e.html

The information there seems to be consistent with what the book Latin American Fighters says, so I conclude the Aztec decal sheet is indeed wrong. It would seem all MFs in Cuba were natural metal finish instead of the nice camo I wanted to make.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just about ready to start my silver finish on my MiG-21PF. However, as usual, the more I looked into the appropriate appearance, the more questions came to mind. I just posted some questions on this in the Cold War aircraft section. You may have already gone down this path and have some thoughts. 

Ray

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Which way round does the centreline pylon go? Actual pylons shorter at one end and KPs instruction’s helpfully show it as symmetrical 

I think the shorter end goes to the rear Stu, angling the nose of the tank downwards slightly.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I think the shorter end goes to the rear Stu, angling the nose of the tank downwards slightly.

🇺🇦

Cheers, should hopefully see mine in the gallery in the next 48 house, slight hitch as my original plan for stand to allow the centreline tank to be fitted is off as the air brake is right where a big hole needed to be drilled. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are very near to the end of the GB and I have to say that it has been an absolute pleasure to co-host with my good friend Dennis, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, who has done a great job on getting this GB together and an even better job of hosting, making my job very easy. There have been some absolutely fantastic builds and in a great variety of schemes showing why the Mig-21 is such a popular subject. I have no doubt that we shall have another Mig-21 GB when sufficient time has elapsed and hopefully the political scene will have changed making the building of Soviet/Russian subjects less of a contentious issue.

So a big thank you to Dennis and to all of you who have contributed to making this such a great GB, see you all next time!

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Well we are very near to the end of the GB and I have to say that it has been an absolute pleasure to co-host with my good friend Dennis, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, who has done a great job on getting this GB together and an even better job of hosting, making my job very easy. There have been some absolutely fantastic builds and in a great variety of schemes showing why the Mig-21 is such a popular subject. I have no doubt that we shall have another Mig-21 GB when sufficient time has elapsed and hopefully the political scene will have changed making the building of Soviet/Russian subjects less of a contentious issue.

So a big thank you to Dennis and to all of you who have contributed to making this such a great GB, see you all next time!

Craig.

🇺🇦

Thank you Craig & @Enzo Matrix for doing all that you do. You and I are going to be pretty busy this year with Hosting/Co-hosting Craig thanks again for the extra help these last few weeks what with me dealing with real life issues. I will take care of the poll tomorrow. 

• Like 4

To everyone that participated We the Hosts say Thank you for joining us. Thank you for building such excellent looking Aircraft and we look forward to the next Mig-21 build hopefully in 2025. I will go and get the Gallery poll up tomorrow when I get the chance. 

The Hosts

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Many thanks Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle, Craig @modelling minion you’ve been really great hosts. And of course @Enzo Matrix for organising it. Well done everyone who participated and built such wonderful models.

I can now honestly say that I know 100% more about MiG-21s than I did before the start.

Looking forward to the next time.

Cheers everyone!

• Thanks 2