Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hopefully I'm OK to join this GB (against the trend it would seem) with these two:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Both 1/72 and from manufacturers I've not built kits from before.

No PE for me, straight OOB (maybe a paint mask or two), I'll be using them to attempt to improve my NMF painting skills - the 21bis in Polish scheme.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Scargsy said:

Hopefully I'm OK to join this GB (against the trend it would seem) with these two:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Both 1/72 and from manufacturers I've not built kits from before.

No PE for me, straight OOB (maybe a paint mask or two), I'll be using them to attempt to improve my NMF painting skills - the 21bis in Polish scheme.

Yes both are good to go, the TU-144 analog experimental plane looks quite interesting. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Wasn’t going to join this, but various things have an raised an interest, how is the Zvezda 1/72 to build, if it’s pretty routine I think I’ll buy and enter it. 

Ive not built one myself but have read its a good kit. Maybe not as good as Eduard but close. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive not built one myself but have read its a good kit. Maybe not as good as Eduard but close. 

I've read nothing but the same. Think I will be getting it, now just to figure out the paint situation. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Can a resident fishbed expert help me, looking at using some decals from the Smer MF on the Eduard kit, do I have to specifically get the eduard MF or is the PFM boxing ok? 

Depends what you want to do Stu, a lot of Soviet markings were quite generic with just different bort numbers so chances are you could get away with that.

43 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Depends what you want to do Stu, a lot of Soviet markings were quite generic with just different bort numbers so chances are you could get away with that.

I’m doing an MF, not familiar with the nuances of the variants and eduards part variations so wondering if I’m limited by which boxing to get. Would normally just do my own research but the storm has taken broadband down area wide so I’m on very weak 4g signal. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I’m doing an MF, not familiar with the nuances of the variants and eduards part variations so wondering if I’m limited by which boxing to get. Would normally just do my own research but the storm has taken broadband down area wide so I’m on very weak 4g signal. 

Looking at the Smer kit it seems to only come with markings for an Iraqi MF so I think you would be best using them on another MF.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looking at the Smer kit it seems to only come with markings for an Iraqi MF so I think you would be best using them on another MF.

4 other markings in the Smer kit,  but have seen the MF and PFM have a very different spurs layout for the tail and spine parts so rules out the PFM, also missed before my internet went dead Hannants have the MF kit for even less than the PFM I had found, so that’s me sorted 

• Like 3

Does it have to be a historically accurate MiG-21?  Can we do one as a "What might have been?" potential operator?  Looking to have a little fun with this and I have the perfect "What If?" user in mind.  Can do it as a MiG-21F-13, a PF or an MF.

Matt

4 hours ago, mpickering said:

Does it have to be a historically accurate MiG-21?  Can we do one as a "What might have been?" potential operator?  Looking to have a little fun with this and I have the perfect "What If?" user in mind.  Can do it as a MiG-21F-13, a PF or an MF.

Matt

Hello Matt if you read the rules Ive accounted for What if builds. 

Check out #4 on the list, then let me know what your thinking. I will let you know if its good or not. 

Dennis

Having just finished the Matchbox Wellesley, I’ve just rescued this from the shelf of doom. The fuselage is together so would like an adjudication on the 25% rule please. I’m guessing it’s borderline. And of course I would need to find the wings and all the other missing bits!

51897893577_b99d4dcc7c_b.jpg

I’ll build it anyway, and this is my intended subject

R41B1276

my photo, Wonsan Air Festival, 2016

SD

• Like 4

I will, of course, abide by your esteemed decision(s)!

I probably have another of these MiG 21’s in the stash, but would prefer to reduce the SoD by one. Let’s see what Corsairfoxfouruncle says

SD

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Having just finished the Matchbox Wellesley, I’ve just rescued this from the shelf of doom. The fuselage is together so would like an adjudication on the 25% rule please. I’m guessing it’s borderline. And of course I would need to find the wings and all the other missing bits!

51897893577_b99d4dcc7c_b.jpg

I’ll build it anyway, and this is my intended subject

R41B1276

my photo, Wonsan Air Festival, 2016

SD

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I am only the co-host but I would say that you just scrape in the 25% rule, but only just. I am sure our Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle will be along to give you the final verdict soon as it is his GB.

Hello SD .. As Craig says looks like you can scrape by, considering you may need to fabricate wings ? Besides there is still Filling, sanding, and re-scribing as well as paint and decals so you will have a bit to do yet. Please go ahead and start a thread as this to my knowledge will be the 1st North Korean build.

• Like 2

Help from any MiG-21 experts. The Mig-21R has two wing tip antenna’s (SPO-3’s). Are there any other exterior antenna’s or visual cues to differentiate them from standard PF, MF, or other airframes ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Help from any MiG-21 experts. The Mig-21R has two wing tip antenna’s (SPO-3’s). Are there any other exterior antenna’s or visual cues to differentiate them from standard PF, MF, or other airframes ? 

Not 100% sure but I don't think there are any other differences than the wing tip antenna's, will see what I can find out Dennis.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 11:34 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Wasn’t going to join this, but various things have an raised an interest, how is the Zvezda 1/72 to build, if it’s pretty routine I think I’ll buy and enter it. 

A bit of a late reply, but...

Enzo describes the Zvesda Mig-21bis as a joy to build, and I have to agree with that assessment. I built one about a year ago and didn't do a WiP, but the RFI can be found at this link. An aftermarket seat and the vanes on the pitot were my only additions.

• Like 1