1/24 American street scenes

So I enjoyed my purely scratchbuilt effort - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235084578-new-york-alleyway-128/ - and decided to up my game to include figures and one of the Doozy Resin pieces that I found on eModels. These are 24th scale 60s-contemporary pieces made in Japan and distributed by AK Interactive. I stumbled upon them and haven't seem them mentioned elsewhere so thought I would give them a try before asking eSanta for a bundle!

spacer.png

The base is foamboard as is the backing, covered with model railway textured styrene, inside a picture frame.

The newspaper machine is the Doozy resin kit. The sprue setup was rather odd with some very large parts to cut and sand from the top of the box part, making it quite a job to sand it smooth. Decals were nice, with even tiny text on the front represented, although they are quite thick and the decal film didn't disappear fully even under two layers of flat coat. I will certainly be getting more though as they offer far more detail than anything but the most experienced scratchbuilder - just a pity much of the range doesn't seem to be readily available in the UK.

As well as the graffiti, all based on real tags, I tried a little street-art as well, with for no reason, Moomins and Simons Cat making an appearance.

spacer.png

The figure is from Tamiya's Campus Friends II pack, which is designed for adding around car models but has some nice naturalistic poses (compared to the similarly themed Master Box figures who are all very posed) and the Japanese appearance of the figure won't look out of place in a New York Street scene. He is meant to be carrying a guitar case, but I made up a paper shopping bag instead.

spacer.png

Aside from the shop sign - which came from my favourite local takeaway menu! - all the other printed material is from ETA Diorama graphics in Greece. Most of the bits are actually 35th scale, but don't look too out of place when kept away from the figure - pity there are not more 35th scale modern figures that would work on a scene like this.

The food packaging is nicely done, you cut out and fold the pieces just like the real thing - unfortunately I did find by the time I had made a dozen folds on each piece that the printed type had started to wear off which led to a few being discarded.

spacer.png

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 14

9 hours ago, John_W said:

Very nice. Only thing missing is those horrible black blotches on the pavement where people have spat out their chewing gum.

Thanks, I was trying to get the pavement suitably grimy but still looks a little clean - I'll add some gum spots to the next one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Nice! A little slice of life! 👍

2 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

very good, and your figure has good reading taste too!

Thanks, yes he should have packed his bag more carefully!

Just finished my latest addition to the series. All authentic 1980s tags. Will get some more pics and make a thread at some point.

spacer.png

• Like 7

• Tim R-T-C changed the title to 1/24 Street scenes in the USA
  • Tim R-T-C changed the title to 1/24 American street scenes