Question about different Titanic modells

Major_Error

Since i was a kit I have been fascinated by the story of the Titanic. That is also why I have been dreaming of building a model of this ship. Unfortunately it will be large, but that is a part of the game.

Again, after seeing a movie about the ship (again),  I am looking for some models and information. Unfortunately, the 1/200 Trupeter kit will be too large. Then I will build me a problem…. But a kit in 1/350 might be OK.

There are some different kits on the market, but I have seen the Minicraft, 1/350 Titanic Centennial Edition , and of course Minicraft 1/350 Titanic. They appears  to be the same; “More than 400 parts and photoetched details”. The only difference I can see is the label “Centennial Edition” and the picture of the ship on the box. And of course, the price. The “Centennial Edition” is about $130 and the “non Centennial” is $220 dollar. Well if the “Centennial” contains the best parts  and equipment/information that will be the best to go for, BUT if the “non Centennial” is the best that might be worth the extra price..? (Prices are local-norwegian)

I guess both will be same kit and (good?) quality and be the base for some additional add on snacks?

Centennial:

spacer.png

The "non Centenial"

spacer.png

8- )

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Orso said:

It looks like the centennial doesn't have etch parts 

Yes! You are right! I can see that on the box. The web shop have made a mistake and copied the same description for both.  The "non Centennial " description have been put on both.  Then the more expensive one looks more interesting. 

Thanks for your help,  everybody!

8- )

• 1 month later...

Titanic models. Interesting ship but done to death in many scales by many manufacturers in plastic, multi medium and card. 

Some good. Some not so good. The Titanic as a subject is what is known as a 'banker' in the model trade (a subject that is almost guaranteed to be a good seller). There are some fantastic Titanic kits available so the modeller is really spoilt for choice here, and  loads of after market stuff for those with deep wallets!

I would like to see a decent sized Normandie known as the Ship of Light in plastic. A beautiful looking French liner that caught fire and capsized whilst docked in New York. I think that she was never raised and brought back into service but broken up. There is a 1/350th scale kit in resin that is hideously expensive..

Edited by Noel Smith

• 8 months later...

Occre, a Spanish company has just announced a wood kit of the Titanic in 1/250th scale (I think).

Looks really good on their website. They have a number of kits of unusual subjects.I

One of their more recent ones is of Shackleton's polar exploration vessel the Endurance.

Besides the ships they have ranges of locomotive kits in various larger scales and trams in 1/24th scale.

• 2 weeks later...

I would look into the centennial version with a separate after market photo etch set, depending on just how much monay you got, he detail you want...or the quality of the supplied etch, apologies I cannot help answer that query myself.

Toms modelworks photo etch

Master brass masts

Gmm passengers

Scaledecks wood deck

Model monkey funnels - apparently the academy kit ones are incorrect, but I havent researched yet.

The above is from my wishlist for a future academy (1405) titanic build, I've had the model since 1998! As you can see, looking on scalemates will point you in the right direction of what's available for your chosen build.

David

• Like 1