Gloster Javelin FAW.9/9R, Airfix 1/48th

nasosrr

Morning champs.

I've been quite busy with my master's lately, which has also affected my updates. But I am finally here with a rather good one.

I masked the green areas (GS H330)

IMG-20210515-091257.jpg

and sprayed the grey (GS H331) on 4 thin coats: One directly from the bottle, one quite faded with almost 40% white, one basic again but only over the panel lines and last a myst coat over the entire model. The picture shows the result after the first basic coat:

IMG-20210515-143016.jpg

And after I unmasked:

IMG-20210516-083821.jpg  IMG-20210516-083746.jpg  IMG-20210516-083601.jpg  IMG-20210516-083716.jpg  IMG-20210516-083723.jpg

Unfortunately, the masks didn't go without a fight:

IMG-20210516-083923.jpg  IMG-20210516-083936.jpg  IMG-20210516-083707.jpg

So I will have to repair these areas. I don't mind the leading edge so much, because I was going to mask it a bit higher and spray silver so that the line isn't exactly in the middle of the curve, but I do mind the horizontal stabilisator. !@%$&%

As always, thank you all for dropping by and watching and take care of yourselves.

• Like 10

Thanks Alan.

I was almost forced to choose Gunze because I cannot, for the life of me, spray Humbrol with neither of my double-action airbrushes. I have no idea why, it's simply impossible, unless I spray very wide, but then I don't have any control of the result. I honestly start to believe that the batches that are sent to Sweden have somewhat altered formula.

Anyhow, Gunze paints are amazing, their behaviour is always consistent, they create a very smooth surface and I also love their smell (very essential modelling criteria, haha). And I hope they are somewhat close to the actual colours of the a/c. They do look ok. Maybe not 100 % accurate, but my white balance isn't 100 % perfect either, so... I'm happy with what I've got. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening.

I am back with an update.

All the painting is done, decals are in place and panel line wash is applied. Even a matt varnish is in place now.

I had some hard time with the decals, primarily the roundels and the vertical stabiliser flag. I really NEED to stop being lazy and start painting the large decals if they have simple shapes like circles and rectangles. Mental note, for the next time.

You'll also notice some tiny silver dots. Honestly, I have no idea where they come from. I'll try to hide them with some more weathering.

Oh, and the port-side pitot tube broke off, which was rather unfortunate, because it was glued, filled and sanded but when I glue it back on, the seam will be visible.

The windscreen is also a mess. I totally suck at masking clear parts.

Apart from that, all the other details are also painted, i.e. the two missiles, fuel tanks, bang seats, staircase, FOD-covers and landing system.

IMG-20210606-202451.jpg IMG-20210606-202531.jpg IMG-20210606-202547.jpg IMG-20210606-202613.jpg IMG-20210606-202622.jpg IMG-20210606-202634.jpg

Thank you for checking out my progress.

I'll be back once everything is done.

• Like 9

This is brilliant, absolutely fantastic paintwork! The Javelin is a fascinating aircraft, great to see one being built, especially as good a this.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot @Lord Riot, I am very glad that you like it and it means a lot to receive such a positive reaction. :)

I hope the final result will satisfy you even more.

I can say that it has been a very pleasant build. Airfix has done a great work with this kit.

• Like 1

More excellent progress with "Victor" nasosrr! Are you going to make a movable canopy or just attach it in one position? It's pretty easy to make one that you can open and close.

Cheers,

Antti

Awesome work on the camouflage. Sorry to hear about the transparent windscreen, from the pictures it looks absolutely fine. Waiting to see the end.

Best regards,

Dan.

@Antti_K Thank you Antti, once again, your complements mean so much, considering that your build has been my guide.

The canopy is movable. I've attached the clear parts on the frame and made it able to slide back and forth, once put on the plane. The fit when it's closed is not perfect, but it works ok. I'll post some pictures with closed canopy in the RFI section, maybe tomorrow.

@Dstream

Thank you for your kind compliments Dan. I did manage to improve the windshield quite a bit, using a fine brush with a little bit of Future. This stuff is miraculous. Haha. :)

And now...

One little teaser before I post in the Ready for inspection. Only a few minor things to take care of (I think only the two Firestreak need to be weathered and attached under the pylons, unless I'm forgetting something)

IMG-20210610-225242.jpg

See you again tomorrow. :)

Edited by nasosrr
  • Like 3

Greetings.

I just uploaded the RFI thread, and I am adding one last photo here, of the bang seats, because they aren't so easy to see once placed in the cockpit.

IMG-20210610-215712.jpg

And here is the RFI post:

Thank you all lads. And especially you @Antti_K

• Like 4