Lotus Super 7

Toftdale

• 2 weeks later...

Progress!!!  Interiors done, particularly pleased with the dash, used Bare Metal Foil on the dial bezels, improved the indicator switch and added the rivets to the bottom of the dash, this was only possible thanks to @CrazyCrank 's tip of using Micro Liquitape and a sharpened cocktail stick.  I also made some 'door' cards to give a neat edge.   More importantly though I have applied BMF to the body and the real stroke of luck is that it doesn't look to dissimilar the to tone on the bonnet. 

p?i=fd8f3f1a6806b670d3c85658fad0ed41

p?i=5504c0afbb0201422b168257c632bfaf

p?i=6164cfa8172e144a8ef4e367e480230e

p?i=f72fe3db04fd3ac496a990a1461b8bd7

As ever thanks for looking and your patience - Andy 

• Like 21

21 hours ago, Marco F. said:

Wow! Stunning progress! 

This little beast is looking fantastic 

Congratulations 

Marco F 

21 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That looks excellent!  :clap2:

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's looking very nice indeed!

Keith

Thanks Gents, it's really appreciated.   Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I've now officially made it to Step 6!  Running gear is in (replaced the front shocks with scratch built items), engines in and the wings are attached.   I applied the decal on the nose cone on top of a photoetched washer to give a more realistic appearance and used Slaters plastic letters for the number plate as per @onethritysecond.  Thanks again for looking and your patience - Andy. 

p?i=c10a184ff1068b57683f655ac4a442cb

p?i=da6a25810aae2cda63827f9e33e65679

p?i=63ef6993fede07bbeeaee15c23b4d502

p?i=bccb0af73f04e345ac2b4b6fe0044b6f

• Like 21

Hi Andy,

Nice looking shocks.
I might use that trick on my Seven when I get around to building it.
What diameter brass tube and rod did you use?

Cheers,

Alan.

4 hours ago, Alan R said:

Hi Andy,

Nice looking shocks.
I might use that trick on my Seven when I get around to building it.
What diameter brass tube and rod did you use?

Cheers,

Alan.

Hi Alan, thanks for the interest.   I used 2mm brass tubing (Albion Alloys code BT2 M), their nickel silver rod (Code NSR10) for the inner and 10 amp fuse wire for spring.  - Andy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Anteater said:

Catching up on this again, but your use of BMF on the body is very effective. Top work. 

Thanks, I'm now at that horrible stage were as its turned out so far as well as anything I have ever built I am just waiting to muck up the next stage 😬

23 hours ago, Escaflowne said:

Fine and nice work, not an easy task the making of the bonnet but the result is very good.

Good work !

Thanks, it only took a mere 12 attempts 🤣

• Like 1

A bit late to the party but this is fantastic,  so many great ideas and scratch building,  absolutely wonderful,  the idea re the Magnets is inspired, the scratch shocks, bonnet and all the bolt heads wow, the crabs and linkage look awesome too.

Great work. 

Chris

• 1 month later...

Well this has been really testing my patience,  its been a classic case for every bit I attach,  at least two bits seem to unattach themselves 😞.  But I have now started to make progress,  albeit small (no surprise there 😄). One issue was the support brace had snapped off on the sprue and no matter what I glued it with it refused to stay attached so I had to replace it with some brass tube.

p?i=a89d73ea9f78c3ab92913d14dc44a25d

Another issue was I found it impossible to cover the scuttle with bare metal foil with the wiper attachments in place.   So these have been removed and will be painted and reattached later.  Also I wanted to make the two lugs on the bottom of the scuttle, I've done it, but let's just say it took more than 1 go.  I would attach them perfectly,  but then apply the foil and promptly snap them off! 🤬.

p?i=8c3f23818bdfef6a634d4ec23557d825

Yes I have managed to knock both the front wings off!!  But I have attached the scuttle,  connected up the three pedals and wired the battery (including make the lugs 🙃; for clarity that's a smug face)

p?i=6eb8cf91d02aff43ed460452587a8d0c

p?i=30685236db949092f37971c6440766b4

p?i=7947e0a66a296a2599f82d071a9b2d59

Thanks again for stopping by - Andy 

• Like 14

I'm glad I'm not the only one with clumsy thumbs Andy....!! 🤣

But despite the tribulations she's coming along really nicely - I really like how the engine and ancillaries are looking and the dash is lovely too!

Great to see such good progress.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Anteater said:

What material and gauges have you used for the throttle linkage and fuel lines? They're very neat and look true to scale. 

Both the throttle linkage and the ignition leads are made from 0.4mm wire from Hiroboy,  part numbers HB-IW-1000 (Black) and HB-IW1001 (Red).  The copper wire is 0,5mm in diameter, it came from circuit board coil out of an old alarm clock. Thanks for the interest - Andy 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Anteater said:

Ah, yes I use the same 0.4mm wire for plug leads. I was more thinking about the tiny return spring and the rod linkage between the two carbs? 

The spring was made from 5 amp fuse wire, which in this case is 0.19mm in diameter.  The rod linkage is the shaft of a broken drill bit, again 0.4mm - Andy