Slave 1 kits?

roym

Hi all,

Is there a comparison article anywhere on the different Slave 1 kits? I built the old MPC/Airfix one way back, can barely remember it tbh. I gather the Revell is a similar (box scale) size. I also see kits from FM and Bandai, are these the same tooling? 

Yes I've been watching (and loving) The Mandolorian....

This is the way.

None of them are the same tooling AFAIK.  We've done a review of the Revell kit, which has Snap-together origins.  The old MPC one was decades before that, and the FM kit is bigger, but most definitely a glue-together kit.  The Bandai kit is also snap-together, but Bandai snap-together.  Any of them will need painting to get them film accurate though, and my money's on the Bandai, then the Finemolds kit, based on their reputations.  I've had them all, just not at the same time :)

BTW - if you don't fancy your chances with replicating the shabby paintwork, Greenstrawberry have a set of decals for both Boba and Jango's tenancies for the Bandai kit in 1:144.  We're hoping to get a set to test soon :pray:

• Like 2

Thanks Mike. Are both the Bandai and FM available in 1/72 or only in 1/144? 

I'll check out the Review of the Revell. Its the only one I'll have any hope of getting locally, even that is not guaranteed..

36 minutes ago, roym said:

Thanks Mike. Are both the Bandai and FM available in 1/72 or only in 1/144? 

I'll check out the Review of the Revell. Its the only one I'll have any hope of getting locally, even that is not guaranteed..

The FM kits are 1/72 while the Bandai are 1/144. The Bandai have the better fidelity but the FM kits are the largest and still streets ahead of the Revell and MPC (Airfix). I 'upgraded' from the MPC kit to the two FM 1/72 kits and hadn't really thought about them until seeing Slave-1 back in action in the Mandalorian. That said, the FM kits are also rarer than hens teeth and expensive when they do turn up so if you're not too fussed about the size the Bandai kit is the one to go for.

1 hour ago, roym said:

Even though the Revell kit's basically a toy, I was pleasantly surprised how well it looked as a basic kit.  Hopefully the review pics will give you a better idea. :)

Just promise me not to use the included paints ;)

The FM kit is hard to find, but the Bandai kit is readily available on eBay and even Amazon, so is probably easy to get hold of unless time is a constraint. 

• Like 1

That Revell looks ok actually. On a par detail-wise with the old Airfix/MPC and probably a better fit. About the same size too?

Don't like the hinged canopy though. As long as the shape is OK and not obviously wrong its a runner. 

Pity the FM is so expensive and rare. 1/72 would look good next to all my aircraft. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Due to the Mandalorian series and the announcement of a Boba Fett show from Disney, what are the chances of the FM kit being released again?  Would love a '72 scale one.

3 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Due to the Mandalorian series and the announcement of a Boba Fett show from Disney, what are the chances of the FM kit being released again?  Would love a '72 scale one.

Pretty much Zero.  FM dont have the Star Wars licence any more, Bandai and Revell have the model kits allowed by Disney nowadays.  Until the licences get rehashed or FM team up with one of the agreed companies...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, malpaso said:

Pretty much Zero.  FM dont have the Star Wars licence any more, Bandai and Revell have the model kits allowed by Disney nowadays.  Until the licences get rehashed or FM team up with one of the agreed companies...

I would say somewhat better than zero, given that Revell has reboxed several Fine Molds kits previously (under their "Masterpiece" branding), but it would require Revell's involvement due to the aforementioned licensing status.  Frankly I would say there's probably a slightly better chance that Bandai would issue their own kit in 1/72, considering they have already done the Perfect Grade Falcon, and it would only involve an up-scale of their widely praised 1/144 kit. 

Revell may be content to stay with their own "box scale" kit rather than paying a percentage to Fine Molds for use of the existing 1/72 tooling. Fortunately for Mandalorian fans, Revell seems to have chosen 1/72 for the forthcoming kit of the Razor Crest!

• Like 4

I think there's a better (although still small) chance of Revell reboxing the FM Slave 1 since its appearence in Mandalorian, but if they do, the problem might be the price. The Bandai kits they've distributed have been priced fairly competitively compared to imports, but their previous FM reboxes were priced sky high. The Revell/FM 1/72 Vader's TIE, which is a nice kit but grossly underscale, was priced around £60 at a time when the superior Bandai kit could be had for around £20.

I paid around £50 for Slave 1 when it was still produced by FM. I think if Revell released it now it could be close to £100. It's a very nice kit, but not worth the inflated prices that Revell charged for the other FM kits.

On 11/01/2021 at 18:41, leeroyb said:

I got one of the Bandai ones and keen to have a go at the paint job, I'm new to that side of modelling, any tips, techniques, or items for my shopping list?

The easiest way to do the chipping is with masking fluid. Paint each respective colour in turn, and apply the masking fluid with a sponge in the areas where you want the chips to show.

Andy:cat:

• Like 2

Green Strawberry is releasing a set of decals for Slave 1 with all the weathering and chipping already done for you. These are for the Bandai kit. 

Of course you now have to deal with covering the whole model in decals...

Carl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you’re keen on 1/72, you could consider getting a jango fett version and converting it.  The FM jango fett  is usually a lot cheaper than the boba one on eBay.  (I say cheaper but it’s still a lot).  As far as I can tell there are differences with some of the hull details, but nothing too difficult.  The cockpit is also completely different between the two versions of the model, neither of which match the new interior from the Mandalorian... 

Now I’m looked on eBay I am am seriously considering doing this now.

• Thanks 1