P1110670

Laminating tiller

P1110675

Hanging in there

P1110680

P1110681

Tiller needs to be reworked

P1110682

In needs to clear the main  sheet horse and then rise back up..

Thanks for looking in

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 15

58 minutes ago, longshanks said:

In needs to clear the main  sheet horse and then rise back up..

Sheet horse is that where the saying three sheets to the wind comes from  :whistle: asking for a friend :coolio:  

And you call me a silly boy look at the size of those hinges  :yikes:

Cracking work mate

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, beefy66 said:

three sheets to the wind

For you Beefy:

To be “three sheets to the wind” is to be drunk. The sheet is the line that controls the sails on a ship. If the line is not secured, the sail flops in the wind, and the ship loses headway and control. If all three sails are loose, the ship is out of control.

Stuart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 08/01/2021 at 19:59, Courageous said:

“three sheets to the wind”

Make sure you do the job properly.............

One sheet and they will dress you up in a daft outfit selling kitchen roll

:rofl2:

Stay safe

Kev

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, longshanks said:

One sheet and they will dress you up in a daft outfit selling kitchen roll

Wrong advert I said three sheets not that Spanish gent Juan  :cwl:

beefy

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the kind comments and likes plus silliness  😉

A lot of background working with not a lot to show.....

Variations on the tiller

P1110689

Success

P1110698

anyone thinking this is a strange shape

IMG_3353

This a yacht conversion where they have placed the mizzen almost on the center line. The Falmouth boats had the mizzen off set.

Then I got out my caulking mallet and iron

Deck planks 1.5 x 0.5mm, dark grey cotton used for caulking

P1110697

P1110696

P1110695

Bilges painted ready for ceiling and bottom boards, then its on with the cockpit sides....

Thanks for looking in

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 11

Looking very nice Kev.  For chalking, in the past at large scales I've used black card stuck to the edge of a bundle of stripwood and then each one cut to release, works well and is not too fiddly.  For really fine chalking at 1:48th and below, a black marker run lightly down the edge gets a great effect for no work..  Just saying,   

Using cotton is impressive, you are a glutton for punishment :banghead: 

Steve

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, beefy66 said:

That vice or clamp thing looks like a very handy bit of kit is it new 

Have been using it for a while and I find it invaluable for the size projects I do. Due to size of this boat I just clamp the keel in. I hold smaller ones using the pegs with plastic sleeves slipped over the pins. 

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/vices/8496238/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Hand_Tools_Whoop-_-Vices_Whoop-_-8496238&matchtype=&pla-373144600751&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9P__BRC0ARIsAEZ6irhDldbVUkZAGn3SZ06ObKY1Auu1FHXaGWUvslOeOgcdTbOObEr3q0MaAl8nEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Larger sizes are available on the same principle. The problem you may encounter is having enough keel to get hold of. It would work if you had a keel extension (OK for waterline) or removable bolts.

14 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Is there no end to the ingenuity!!

14 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Is there no end to the ingenuity!!   Madness :frantic:

I think it comes from being locked in a shed since last march :frantic: esp since SWMBO took away my red pointy hat and fishing rod and banned me from the pond. I do have a cunning plan , I'm building a scale trawler :wicked:. The fairies are still talking to me, they give me some of my best ideas 😉

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Looking very nice Kev.  For chalking, in the past at large scales I've used black card stuck to the edge of a bundle of stripwood and then each one cut to release, works well and is not too fiddly.  For really fine chalking at 1:48th and below, a black marker run lightly down the edge gets a great effect for no work..  Just saying,   

Thanks for the ideas all of which I've used in the past and do work. The two problems I had this time is the width of the plank 1mm and the fact that I wanted to paint each plank individually before fixing. Difficult to see on the pics but there is slight colour variation between the planks

Thanks for the support guys

Stay safe and avoid the multiplying numpties

Kev

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My goodness Kev, difficult to find an unused adjective to describe your work but amazing and stunning just don't cut it. Especially the tiller and pins not to mention the decking, just brilliant mate just incredible ........................  and I just agree with all the comments on cotton caulking and yes you are bonkers!:nuts:

• Thanks 1