Royal Navy 814 NAS Aircraft types and colours

Mark

As the titles suggests, I’m starting a thread concentrating on the aircraft of the Royal Navy 814 NAS. The reason being is that my son has served with them now for nearly three years and I would like to get back into modeling and this seemed a good idea to start with.

The first question I have then is in reference to the Wessex HAS.1 and specifically the best paint matches for the blue / yellow scheme? Which paints best match this scheme?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to you all! :)

spacer.png

On 12/21/2020 at 11:13 PM, Giorgio N said:

Paints used on the Wessex were RAF Blue Grey 633 and Golden Yellow 356, both numbers coming from BS-381c

Now to convert them in modelling paint... which ones do you have access to ? And do you prefer enamels, lacquers or acrylics ?

Hi Giorgio,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for my late response. I have access to most brands here in France but Gunze Sangyo and Tamiya are my preferred paints. I can order Xtracolor as well.

Mark, the yellow is relatively simple as IIRC it's very similar to the US insignia yellow, that Gunze should have in their line. The Blue Grey however is a tricky one as very few modelling paint lines offer this one. if you can get Xtracolors I'd just go with them, they do both the Blue Grey (X013) and the Golden Yellow (X011)

I built the Westland Wessex, but instead of going with the grey/blue and yellow paint scheme, I changed mine to the red and grey/blue rescue Helicopter, and it looks good, I just used spare decals to make up the rescue, and then the numbers of an actual rescue helicopter, I found one online, and I'm pleased with the outcome