Andy's 2020

Andy Moore

Andy's 2020 Yearbook

It's been a fairly average year for me, output-wise. I thought I'd have got more done, given the amount of time I've had at home this year, but other things kept cropping up to take me away from the bench. It was a year where I tried a few new avenues in modelling though, the biggest being my first time working with 3D printed models, and subsequently the first time printing a model myself.

The builds are a pretty varied bunch, as they usually tend to be, although mainly armour and SF. The year actually started off with an aircraft though in the form of a WnW's Pup, which marked another first for me, as the only biplane I've built to date.

Wingnut Wings Sopwith Pup 1/32

As mentioned above, my first time with a WNW kit, and my first biplane. The build went well enough, although I didn't go to any lengths with detailing and it was all built OOB. The masking for the stripes was a little tricky at times, but breaking the painting down into stages kept it managable. More shots here.

50719561873_f8c4055e66_b.jpg

Meng Medium Mark A Whippet 1/35

This is the third Whippet, and second from Meng that I've built over the years. The previous two had been fairly heavily weathered and muddy, so I wanted to keep this one more on the clean side. Mainly OOB apart from a few scratch built details here and there. More photos here.

50719561488_824f683e17_b.jpg

Meng Jeep with Wasp Flamethrower 1/35

This is Meng's new tooled Jeep, which is a decent little kit, although a little simplified in some of the detailing. The Wasp flamethower was a one-off conversion used (in testing only) by No.1 Demolition Squadron, aka Popski's Private Army. Full build here.

50720297891_2847bc647c_b.jpg

Flyhawk FT-75 BS 1/72

This was a two-in-one boxing of the Renault FT with the 75mm Blockhaus Schneider gun. I built the first of the kits last year. This second one had been sitting around half build since then, but I managed to get it finished off last month. More photos here.

50720297581_1219a464bb_b.jpg

Xinshi Hobby KV-2 Toon

I've got a soft spot for toon-style kits, and generally get at least one done most years. This one's from Xinshi who are a Chinese retailer/distriubutor, although the kits are probably manufactured by Meng.

50720380427_e5b01f0681_b.jpg

ICM AC-40-137A Firetruck 1/35

The snappily titled AC-40-137A is a fairly common fire engine in Russia and Eastern Europe, and ICM have done a nice job of reproducing it in kit form. The vinyl tyres were a bit crappy, but otherwise the kit was nicely detailed and went together well. More photos here.

50720380042_f11b66b43f_b.jpg

Thunder Models Case VAI Tractor 1/35

I've had this one sitting in a box half-finished for years, and I don't really know why, as it's a great little kit. I decided to finally get it finished this year, giving it a rather heavily used look in the process. The company seem to have gone quiet over the last year or two, but hopefully we'll see something new from them in the future, as they made really nice kits. More photos here.

50720379697_bb54831d6d_b.jpg

Bandai Imperial TIE Fighter 1/72

I never get through a year without doing at least one Bandai SW kit, and it was the TIE's turn this year. Nothing fancy with the build, just straight OOB with a fairly standard TIE paint job. More photos here.

50720379412_363a806194_b.jpg

3D Print TIE Bombers 1/72

So, these three marked my first time working with 3D printed models. These were printed by a friend, who then sent them over to me for painting. I kept one and sent the other two back to him. He's keeping one of those, and the other is being sold on eBay. I added a little extra scratch built greebling to the prints to bring the detail level up more and to better match them to the studio model.

50720296171_36f0c1806d_b.jpg

50720295846_761686daec_b.jpg

Bandai R-33K (C-3P0 repaint) 1/12

The third 3P0 repaint I've done to date (I've got another waiting in the wings for next year), and I went even further with the droid abuse here. R-33K's lost an eye, a finger on his right hand, and his entire left arm, along with an assortment of gouges, scrapes and dents. More photos here.

50720378607_b16406bbb7_b.jpg

3D Print EL-5A Mouse Droid 1/12

I built a mouse droid (Nigel) from the JPG garage kit a few years ago, but when I bought a 3D printer a few months ago I wanted to try printing my own. This one's done from my own 3D design, so probably isn't 100% accurate dimension-wise to the original film props, but at least it looks like a mouse droid. I also printed out the trailers to make the mouse train that was planned for Star Wars, but dropped before filming. EL-5A's name and white stripes are a homage to Elsa Lanchester. More pics here.

50720295191_a16b1695ed_b.jpg

Modiphius Entertainment Dragonborn 32mm

I like to get at least one figure model in each year if I'm able, and this year I managed three, the first of which was this 32mm scale resin figure of the Dragonborn from the Skyrim cover art. It was a limited edition to mark the release of their Skyrim tabletop figure range, and I'll hopefully be doing a couple more from the range next year. More pics here.

50720294986_1235bb55fb_b.jpg

Nuts Planet 'Shield' (yes, that's what they call it) 1/35

The second figure for the year came from Nuts Planet's post apocalypse range, and is simply called Shield. I'm sure they could have given him a name - like Bob with shield. Either way, it's another nice figure, with some amazing levels of detailing. The only additions were some metal mesh and a spare decal for the shield, and the scratch built base. More photos here.

50719557998_087388cfec_h.jpg

Chronos Miniatures Raptor Rider 75mm

And my final completed build for this year was another figure in the form of this raptor and rider from Chronos Miniatures. Again, a nicelly sculpted figure with plenty of detail to pick out. It came with a base which was pretty naff in comparison to the figure, so I scratch built a new one. The only other additions were some painted paper strips for the reins. More photos here.

50719557798_8a7cadf039_h.jpg

I've got a couple of other builds ongoing, but I doubt they'll get finished before the end of the year, so I think this is the lot for 2020.

Thanks for looking

Andy:cat:

• Like 30

Wow! The tractor is fantastic - my parents used to visit friends who ran a farm and they used to let me play on one just like that. I love the effect of the paint bleaching out and the muddy wheels are dead on.

And the figures are fantastic. I was worried about the accuracy of the last one, but it turns out my paleontological information is out of date - up until 2005, it was thought that dinosaurs and grass did not co-exist at the same time. But dinosaur coprolites containing grass have since been discovered. So your last figure contains no chronological anachronisms. Phew...

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 2

All your models are masterpieces, and i love your way of how you painting and weathering the kits, to be honest you was the reason why i registered here in BM, because your models impression me much.

You are an artist Andy.......hope to see many more models of you in the future.

• Like 3

Wowww... I just love your style of painting and photography. I saw some of your models in various RFI's but a lot are new. I absolutely adore you 3PO, that is marvelous. 

• Thanks 1