AAC / RAF Islander crew

bar side

Getting on with my Islander build but just wondering what uniform the pilot & crew would wear?  Standard green RAF flight suits?  And helmet or not?  My pilot figure is an Airfix Herc pilot but has a helmet but no visor on.  He could always get a head transplant though from a non helmet wearer.

dHEwjIJ.jpg

• Like 1

I was going to hold out for the Red Devil’s aircraft - hope they do that one although I am sure I saw some after market decals for it.  Think you get pretty much every version in the box.  Kit detail is pretty good, fit not as much!

2 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Good stuff. The civilian Islander pilot that flew me into a logging camp always flew from the left seat. Was it different in military usage?

Could be.  I just wanted a body in there flicking the switches so that I can justify the props turning

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Good stuff. The civilian Islander pilot that flew me into a logging camp always flew from the left seat. Was it different in military usage?

We always had two up front, so not sure!🤔

• Like 1

On 22/12/2020 at 19:41, steve4428 said:

If I remember correctly from my days flying in them, the pilots wore standard flight suits with helmets, some with visors, some without,  personal preference if I recall! Hope this helps?

I have a couple of pictures of my dad in one as a passenger and that rings true for the flight crew. As it was over Bosnia they did have some sort of vests on as well. I dont have access to the pics so cant say for sure.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I've just read through your threads on Islander construction as I'm about to commence construction.  Thanks for sharing your build lessons.  You nearly scared me off 😜

To complete your original question I've found this photo on the net - two pilots complete with helmets. 

51734811651_50dbda69b6_b.jpg6D65C158-4255-4F97-BA4A-E04B2677A362 by tankienz, on Flickr

• Like 2

A bit more research.  I must stop just looking at pictures and read the words😳  In Army Aviation in Ulster by Guy Warner with Alex Boyd is explains that 'The pilot occupies the left-hand seat with the crewman beside.  However the right hand seat can file fully backwards into the cabin to allow the crewman access to the particular cameras fitted for the mission and their control panel on the port forward sidewall of the cabin.  No other seating can be fitted in this configuration, as the camera equipment is heavy and takes up a lot of room.

I have found one photo of a Islander ZG846 with a mounted camera in Flickr by Andy Ford

31009831992_e0554dc528_b.jpgZeiss Aerial Survey Camera (ZASC) mounted obliquely by Andy Ford, on Flickr

This is an oblique camera with porthole in rear side door.  The porthole is only visible in a few photos so I assume was only fitted for a period.  The full equipment fit is described at https://spyflight.co.uk/aircraft/#Britten_Norman

Edited by dcrfan