F/A-18 Hornet Blue Angels

Good day!

F/A-18 Hornet in colors of the Blue Angel squadron. It's only mater of taste of course, but in my mind this elegant fighter jet looks moore impresive in this color scheme.
As for the model. It's my first experience with the Kinetic kit and i'm absolutely sure it's the last one from this manufacture.
The only part with good fitting it's cabin, all the other...; 
- Two halfs of the fuselage, upper and bottom have a different lenghts. If make a suggestion that the model was developed using 3d 
modeling with CAD systems, so it's mystery for me, how it's may be.
- Intakes. Troubles by it's self during the subassembly construction, and a big issues during the installation this subassembly 
in the fuselage.
- Main landing gear. If you wanna that's this ellement looks like a real one, will be  necessary to make a hinges from a zero point.
In the original from the box, they are absence from word at all.
- The wheel bay of the main landing gear. All simple is here. The huge visible spacing has occurred after mounting this detail 
into the fuselage, so a lot of epoxy putty to assist you.
- Canopy. The instruction offers two variant to make canopy in close or open position, it's in the theory. 
And my first decision was to make it close, but some correction was made by the reality. If briefly, the new canopy you will need, 
to make it  in the close position, since the both parts don't correspond by each other softly to say. And in the addition for this a bad 
fitting between canopy and fuselage with a large gap.
- Decals. Decals printed by cartograf are excellent by itself, but why there are no stencils for cabin and cabin tools, despite 
the same kit in the other color scheme, there are?
All the other are excellent. And despite the fact a lot of mistake were made by my self during the building, i'm hope that the final result looks like a Hornet.  ;)

DSC07174

DSC07157

DSC07152

DSC07151

DSC07149

DSC07146

DSC07144

DSC07141

DSC07138

DSC07136

DSC07131

DSC07128

DSC07124

DSC07123

DSC07121

DSC07119

DSC07116

DSC07113

DSC07109

DSC07105

Thanks for looking.

Edited by maverick_62
Reload photos
  • Like 35

Magnificent work, that's very nicely done and not too shiny which seems to be the mistake the rest of us make..........................your one looks exactly right :clap:

Wow, look at that subtle weathering!

I'd imagine the aircraft to be a lot more glossier though. Any other aircraft other than the Blue Angels could be satin, but them Blue Angel boys keep their birds immaculate.

Barring that- amazing job :) Love the photography too.

What did you use on the stanchion on the main landing gear? 

spacer.png

Edited by alxzinbox
  • Like 1

As was mentioned above, the Blue Angels usually keep their airplanes very clean and they're generally glossy. The exception, based on photos I've seen, is during the training season where they tend to have something of a weathered or "much used" look. Since they sometimes fly several sorties a day during training, that's to be expected. Nevertheless, your model looks very impressive and despite the difficulties it gave you during construction, the end result is one you can be very proud to display.

2 hours ago, alxzinbox said:

Wow, look at that subtle weathering!

I'd imagine the aircraft to be a lot more glossier though. Any other aircraft other than the Blue Angels could be satin, but them Blue Angel boys keep their birds immaculate.

Barring that- amazing job :) Love the photography too.

What did you use on the stanchion on the main landing gear? 

You are absolutely right about  more glossier, it's... one of my simplification on this model. 

On the landing gear, original plastic parts were replaced on the same, but made from steel rod on the lathe. It's my usually method for modifying landing gears.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...