General Modelling Chat

We have a 'General Maritime Modelling Chat' page.

Could the forums be expanded to include 'General Aircraft Modelling Chat' and 'General AFV Modelling Chat' (etc.) pages in the relevant sections?

Sometimes there are questions posed that don't fit into the existing forums. (I know we have 'Tips and Tricks' but that's well down the page.

Tom

30 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

We have a 'General Maritime Modelling Chat' page.

Could the forums be expanded to include 'General Aircraft Modelling Chat' and 'General AFV Modelling Chat' (etc.) pages in the relevant sections?

Sometimes there are questions posed that don't fit into the existing forums. (I know we have 'Tips and Tricks' but that's well down the page.

Tom

You've already got it. Just look at all of the various sections in the Aircraft and AFV sections.

John.

Sorry John,

I just can't see it.

I posted a question re. panel lines earlier today in the WW II forum because I was asking about a specific type of aircraft.

If I had asked: 'What wash should I use for panel lines on a black surface' which forum should I put it in?

Tom

As washes and panel lines are all encompassing and relevant to aircraft, ships, AFV's and even figures, then I would recommend the paint section of tools and tips.

Mike

So why have the General Maritime Chat forum? (and Diorama Chat I suppose)

Don't get me wrong I think a 'General' forum in all categories would be a good thing and I find the Maritime one very informative and useful.

I wonder how many members know there is a 'Tools and Tips' forum (it is a bit buried down the bottom of the Home page) and if they do, can be bothered to scroll down to it.

I would think the first 3 sections on the home page are the most visited. Got a question involving one of them? Go to where the most members visit you'll possibly get a wider answer response.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

I would think the first 3 sections on the home page are the most visited. Got a question involving one of them? Go to where the most members visit you'll possibly get a wider answer response.

Tom

And the location for the widest answer response ensures that those questions will be quickly lost in amongst the others and endlessly repeated. I would hate to think how many paint thinning questions for airbrushing have been moved to the airbrush section over the years from WWII. What WWII has to do with paint thinning or panel line washes is not exactly clear.

The forum layout has been developed and adjusted over 13 odd years to try and ensure that the vast majority of common topics have a place and that place is a good point to start looking in before asking the question.

The simple answer is for members to take the time to become familiar with the forum layout and place threads in the right area. After of course looking to see if it has been answered before. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Sorry John,

I just can't see it.

I posted a question re. panel lines earlier today in the WW II forum because I was asking about a specific type of aircraft.

If I had asked: 'What wash should I use for panel lines on a black surface' which forum should I put it in?

Tom

Looking at what you are indicating, when you click on the section, it says that it's for any questions that are not specific to any of the above time scales. OK, so it's an additional section that other genres don't have. I'm totally AFV, and if I have a query about some piece of equipment, I will ask a question in the appropriate date section. But if it's something like the question that you have, then as Mike says, there is a section for it. The fact that you've got to go looking for it is neither here nor there. This is a large site and it would be a good idea if anyone new to it, took some time to explore what is actually available on here. There are bits that I didn't know existed. But the bit about reading the different sections before posting is relevant. IF people did that, then maybe we wouldn't get them asking questions about aircraft ore whatever, in "Help an Support", when it says in big red letters, NOT for modelling related issues.

No offence meant by this, but it is basically a common sense issue. Look through the various sections, and chances are that you will find what you are looking for.

HTHs.

John.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There is a general maritime modelling chat but there is no maritime related subjects section. I would put this down to the scope and quantity of topics posted in the aircraft and AFV sections requiring extra separation compared to the maritime section.