IBG 1/72 Diamond T 972 Dumper - Finished

JeroenS

A man's gotta eat... 

20201227124449-f8ca632f-me.jpg

Grilled ham/cheese/tomato sandwiches, always goes down well.

Meanwhile, we have OD paint on the interior so we can start assembly. 

20201227124449-e319f16f-me.jpg

Just a quick dab of paint on the seats first, before I forget. 

• Like 2

Cab assembly ended around 2 ... it took me a little while to put in all these small parts and the thin sheet windows. 

20201227143943-b133298c-me.jpg

A revealing close-up before doors and roof, with the usual over scale steering wheels and various levers. 

20201227143943-9539634d-me.jpg

Half an hour fidgeting later we have a complete cab... 

20201227143944-9689ed79-me.jpg

20201227143942-18c775e0-me.jpg

Now: more paint.

• Like 2

Sure, you can brushpaint a chassis. It takes about 10 minutes. 

20201227154551-8a35dc5f-me.jpg

However, it comes at a cost. 

20201227154550-0d40e3d2-me.jpg

The cost is: 1 flat brush. 

So, that's 10 minutes for 1 coat of Black Grey. The OD takes about 5 coats. That's 50 minutes. That's a No. 

I'm going to fire up the ol' compressor and airbrush this thing OD. Trouble is: I normally airbrush in the shed, that's where my booth is. But not in the winter. I don't have a spot for airbrushing in the house, so I now have to go up to the attic and "fence off" an area with sheets etc. Also... the only paint I have that I can shoot through an airbrush inside without kicking a hornet's nest is Vallejo. While I like it very much for brush painting, I don't much like to airbrush it. But I can't bear the alternative which is almost an hour of continuous brush painting a chassis which sucks. 

• Like 2

Well... I'm going to say something I never thought I would say, and I'm going to repeat it to myself in the next half hour... "I had an enjoyable airbrush session with Vallejo paints, and my airbrush did not clog even once". 

@reini will be proud of me, I just know it 🙂 

Not only did I manage to spray the chassis, I also sprayed the bin and (carefully) the cab. The latter will need some brushing because I didn't want to go to near the windows. 

20201227163633-ce7a1309-me.jpg

20201227163633-dccb3730-me.jpg

This saves a lot of time and I'm happy with it. Now, a break because I have to go and prepare dinner. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Well... I'm going to say something I never thought I would say, and I'm going to repeat it to myself in the next half hour... "I had an enjoyable airbrush session with Vallejo paints, and my airbrush did not clog even once". 

@reini will be proud of me, I just know it 🙂 

:P Good job! With some Vallejo Flow Improver shorter sessions are usually hassle free.

Nice results BTW:thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, reini said:

:P Good job! With some Vallejo Flow Improver shorter sessions are usually hassle free.

Nice results BTW:thumbsup:

Oh right, flow improver... I forgot I have that stuff. Well, I didn't use it haha... 

I will try and do more sessions in the future so I'll get over my "Vallejo airbrush pains" 🙂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Oh right, flow improver... I forgot I have that stuff. Well, I didn't use it haha... 

I will try and do more sessions in the future so I'll get over my "Vallejo airbrush pains" 🙂

Yeah, there will be some growing paints for sure - acrylics are just picky about having enough air pressure and thin enough paint. It's just that 'enough air pressure' & 'too little air pressure' and 'thin enough paint' & 'too thin/thick paint' are usually real close to eachother...

54 minutes ago, reini said:

Yeah, there will be some growing paints for sure - acrylics are just picky about having enough air pressure and thin enough paint. It's just that 'enough air pressure' & 'too little air pressure' and 'thin enough paint' & 'too thin/thick paint' are usually real close to eachother...

Indeed. I must say I was really surprised how well it went. I sprayed through an 0.2 nozzle at my normal 17 psi (give or take), with low airflow and paint straight from the bottle. It just kept going. 

I will be punished for this next time, I'm sure. 

• Like 1

Start of this evening's session. A bit more paint on the cab, after attaching some stuff like lamps and mirrors. And let's not forget painting the wheels!

20201227190334-7e2f8b3f-me.jpg

• Like 2

I just spent 10 minutes, kneeling before the Carpet Monster (laminated flooring monster in this case), looking for one of the headlights... couldn't find it. 

Turns out it had fallen into my slipper... 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, reini said:

... is that an offspring of the carpet monster or some kind of small netherlandian variant of the dreaded beast?? :giggle:

It's a size 13 variant

• Haha 2

That's me calling quits for today. 18 hours spent, 6 more on the clock... Turns out, small trucks are also a lot of work. Contrary to popular belief, size doesn't matter!

20201227220430-2574bfdc-me.jpg

Cab has been painted and glued to the chassis. Decals are on (still drying). I started a spot of weathering on chassis and dumper. 

I will continue tomorrow after work. Flat coat, assemble (and paint) the last bits and pieces like the mirrors and headlights (even if they try to hide in my slipper), wheels, final weathering and assembly. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Turns out, small trucks are also a lot of work. Contrary to popular belief, size doesn't matter!

Lots of fiddly bits and plenty of detail on your model = lots of time and effort.  Good luck as you head for the finish line.

• Like 1

Yes, the Cloggie carpet monster, foul smelling, hunting in pairs, often heard clip clopping, but never seen, enjoying plastic and PE snacks across the Low lands. 

Trucks looking good dude. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, a little over 6 hours left on the clock, should be enough to finish the little dumper. The decals have dried well. Flat coat on, paint the wheels, attach the sticky out bits and do a little more weathering. 

20201228152121-99e8fb4a-me.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, reini said:

... what, it's not done yet? I mean come on, it's tiny! :P

... says the guy who only finished 4 builds for Vietnam GB

• Haha 1