IBG 1/72 Diamond T 972 Dumper - Finished

JeroenS

I'm in! Last summer's Blitz Build was the first one for me and it was great fun. I tried my hand at a 1/24 truck and only just missed completing it. So this time I'm going for something a bit smaller. IBG have a great range of these 1/72 scale WW II era trucks, I have several of them but they're all started because I use them for a bit of fun on the side. Of other longer builds. Soooo... I had to buy a new kit, you know how it is. Also, because the rest of my stash is currently in a storage unit because we're moving house in a couple of months and we had to empty our current place a bit to make it look better for prospective buyers. 

Anyway, this is what I'll be building: 

20201221073937-0da4db7b-me.jpg

This should be the first one in the series I'm completing. I really should also complete the other ones as they make a nice series. I actually went to the storage unit this weekend and dug the rest of them out, luckily they were in one of the first boxes I tried! Starting February, I will not have time for larger kits for a while but maybe I can steal an hour here or there and get some time in on the little ones. 

• Like 11

House contents in a storage unit - I feel your pain.  The Diamond Ts have a certain look about them I like so I am looking forward to seeing this done.  I followed your last build for the Blitzbuild and marvelled at how quickly you achieved an excellent finish on your model, so this promises to be really good.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Ooooooo nice. 

Yeah these are just lovely little kits and very well detailed. Just over €10 so dirt cheap too. I actually started on the Diamond T Wrecker in the last Blitz Build because I needed to do something different from my main build for a bit. 

This is the Wrecker's chassis in the foreground and the German 917t in the back. I have a couple more, and there are some more in the series that I'd really like, including more Diamond T's and a 2020 new tool Scammell Pioneer 🙂 

20201221205310-4f1f847e-me.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great Jeroen, 

Slightly off topic but are the hasegawa Japanese starter and refuelling truck kits any good ? I've always fancied building them but never got round to actually putting thoughts into deeds !

Good luck with this one 

Cheers Pat 

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks great Jeroen, 

Slightly off topic but are the hasegawa Japanese starter and refuelling truck kits any good ? I've always fancied building them but never got round to actually putting thoughts into deeds !

Good luck with this one 

Cheers Pat 

Morning Pat! I didn't know about the Hasegawa fuel truck, but it definitely looks very nice. I would certainly like to build one 🙂 

And we're off! Hope you all had a good Christmas. 

20201226081638-e20c6b8b-me.jpg

As usual for these IBG kits (I have a few of them on the go), 3 sprues packed with small, well moulded parts. Lots of parts... This is nothing like 2 fuselage halves and a pair of wings 😉 

Nah, just messin' with ya, aircraft guys. 

I need to get a move on, let's go!

• Like 1

That's the first bits done. Wheels and a start on the engine. The wheels needed a bit of cleanup. 

20201226092659-68d02dde-me.jpg

But look at the detail. I can assure you that break drums are not common even on 1/35 scale kits. 

20201226092658-9bc98509-me.jpg

Now, breakfast!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Christmas wishes Jeroen, hope you had a good day. 

Nice start dude. 

Thanks H, same to you! As you know we have 2 days of Christmas over here so we're still at it 😉 

Ready for round 2!

20201226111723-7e5a54c0-me.jpg

We had a family breakfast (only on the holidays), kids went back to bed and my wife and I went for an hour's walk in an area nearby. It was quite nippy outside, with the wind and all, so some hot chocolate goes down nicely!

Edited by JeroenS
Typo!
  • Like 3

That's chassis and engine completed. 

20201226145220-372abf8c-me.jpg

The chassis is my least favourite part of a truck build actually. I'll go and do something more fun now, the dumper bin.

• Like 2

Time for a small break. I've assembled the bin (easy) and its subframe (quite intricate). 

20201226160404-9ccd1504-me.jpg

Here we see the subframe attached to the frame. I'm going to paint this all in one go anyway so it's easier to glue it on now. A little less easy for painting but we'll manage. 

20201226160405-512f9fea-me.jpg 

You choose between bin up or down, different parts are needed. I thought bin up looks more interesting. You can see this is all quite detailed, down to the bolt heads on the chassis and subframe parts. 

20201226160406-63bc9f16-me.jpg

It should look something like this. 

20201226160402-b148f6b2-me.jpg

I'm off to have a drink. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Why couldn’t they make a 25th scale version of this? Good pattern for one, has nicer detail than 1/35 trucks.

These are very nice trucks indeed. Maybe I'll do one of the 1/35 kits one day. For now I'll make do with the tiny one 🙂 

I like this type of truck, the Scania T143 I'm working on will also be a dumper, and I'm thinking of converting the 1/16 Peterbilt Santa brought me yesterday into a dumper as well! Which would make the 1/35 scale dumper mandatory to complete the series 🤔

32 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

These are very nice trucks indeed. Maybe I'll do one of the 1/35 kits one day. For now I'll make do with the tiny one 🙂 

I like this type of truck, the Scania T143 I'm working on will also be a dumper, and I'm thinking of converting the 1/16 Peterbilt Santa brought me yesterday into a dumper as well! Which would make the 1/35 scale dumper mandatory to complete the series 🤔

You could almost fit each one into the others box.

• Haha 1

Time to start the evening session, work on the cab needs to be done. I skipped this earlier on because I wanted to finish the chassis first. Most of the time the chassis is the first thing in a truck build. Not with this one. 

20201226192146-54c1b0e5-me.jpg

• Like 2

Right, I'm calling it for today. 7,5 hours of build time, let's see what we have. 

20201226210248-e591736b-me.jpg

And a careful dry fit

20201226210248-e7245a5c-me.jpg

I must say, the engineering of this kit is very good. The fit is excellent, and the way the parts go together makes sense. No vague locating points, really an enjoyable build. 

See you tomorrow!

• Like 5

Good morning! And we're off again, I'm going to finish putting together the chassis so this can be painted with everything on it. It's not like a) I'm going to be weathering the engine separately and b) the engine will be visible .... 

20201227083225-a15f6047-me.jpg

Looks like it will be raining the entire day... the only people not minding that are the ones participating in a Blitz Build 🙂 

• Haha 2

Well, nothing left to do but start painting. I'm going to have to think about that a little bit more but I think I have it figured out. 

20201227091804-b03fbd6b-me.jpg

Pro tip... what I've learned by building a couple of these kits (they are in various stages of construction) is to leave things like drive shafts and exhausts a little long when cutting them off the sprues. You can see that I've left some extra material on the right of this exhaust, where the attachment point was. 

20201227091803-8b629e59-me.jpg

That's because these kits are engineered and moulded with near perfect margins and this is something pretty hard to achieve in real life. I've come up short on more than one occasion. So I leave these things a little long and fit them on the go. 

20201227091801-b3514eef-me.jpg

This gives a marging to work with. I use a hefty dose of the quick setting TET (where would we be without it) and really push/weld one end into place and let dry for a little bit before doing the other end. 

• Like 4

I'm brush painting this one, using Vallejo Model Colour Black Grey as a base / primer coat. This stuff covers like nothing else, even thinned with water like I do, it's basically 1 coat and then another quick one. I use a hair dryer to dry the coats after I painted, it's fast. Couple of seconds and on goes coat #2. 

20201227112136-38d7a77c-me.jpg

I once bought this Model Air "Olive Drab" set which are nice colours, they are the smaller bottles. The plan is now to finish the cab interior, add the doors, roof and windows (which are just thin acrylic sheet, I hope they go in ok) and then paint the outside of the cab in one go. I plan to leave the side windows open so I only have to put in the front ones. 

• Like 1