Super Hornet ski jump trial

GMK

3 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Whoo its the future ....RAF can keep their F35 

Uhhhh no! In a duel between an F35B and an F18 i would be in the cockpit of the F35B everytime. On a catobar carrier I would have a mixed airgroup, but on a QE as it stands I settle for F35 only.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Uhhhh no! In a duel between an F35B and an F18 i would be in the cockpit of the F35B everytime. On a catobar carrier I would have a mixed airgroup, but on a QE as it stands I settle for F35 only.

It was a joke ....like we can afford another Anerican cab anyway 😐

• Like 1

Just now, junglierating said:

It was a joke ....like we can afford another Anerican cab anyway 😐

Anyway really ....you can have all the bells and whistles but if the support is gash its all kinda of irrelevant....im sure the F35 has all the support just like other UK platforms 🤔Im sure you are well briefed 😀

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Anyway really ....you can have all the bells and whistles but if the support is gash its all kinda of irrelevant....im sure the F35 has all the support just like other UK platforms 🤔Im sure you are well briefed 😀

The UK F35B has yet to get the gun pod, something it should really have. It was understood we woukd be ordering some as part of a later batch, but we'll see.......thankfully the USMC aircraft on the QE have the gun pod. The integration of Meteor certainly is certainly good news.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GMK said:

Something a little different - Super Hornet ski jump launch proof of concept for possible Indian Navy buy. 

Interesting!

What payload sacrificy would this mean compared to a cat launch?

I guess available deck length would be the relevant factor, no? 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 11:03 PM, Team Aer Lingus said:

Interesting picture but with the costs associated with a carrier air wing would India not buy something cheaper?

Eamonn

They tried that route with Russian equipment... Hornets would be far superior.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NoSG0 said:

Curious to see what the take off will be like once external gas bags and other things that go boom are mounted. Hmmmm

Maybe it was a minimum speed test....  without details... you never know with these publications...

Edit:

and after looking closer, it seems it carries 4 big bombs! Mk83 or 84s....

so maybe even a max load/ min speed trial?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Just out of curiosity, will it make a substantial difference?

If I recall, the ski jumps fitted to Royal Navy ships allowed the Sea Harriers to take off at max or, near max loads?

John.

Yeah, but a Sea Harriers max load is significantly different from a Super Hornet that was designed to use lots of runway  or a hot cat for full loads..

But exactly that is what I want to find out in more detail!

• Like 1

On 22/12/2020 at 6:47 AM, exdraken said:

Wow! Thanks for the vid!

Is it me or does it show a nasty downward pitch just leaving the  ramp?

Too mich oleo compression when hitting the ramp?

I agree. It didn't look very smooth did it?

Abdy

4 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

A fair comment but, does/did the Russian Navy not also use a ski jump for the naval variants of the MiG-29 and, SU-27?.

The latter certainly is a whole lot bigger and heavier than an F-18!

I admit to not being very knowledgeable on this particular subject but, given that it seems to be under practical consideration, I would think that take off weights etc would be taken into account?

John

Of course, but for starters they cannot take off fully loaded (weapons and fuel) from an Indian/ Russian/Chinese skyjump equipped carrier...

On 12/22/2020 at 11:19 PM, hairystick said:

They tried that route with Russian equipment... Hornets would be far superior.

They also thought about a naval variant of the indigenous Tejas but after trials I think they abandoned that route.

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 11:03 AM, Team Aer Lingus said:

Interesting picture but with the costs associated with a carrier air wing would India not buy something cheaper?

Eamonn

A country that can afford 500 combat aircraft should have no problem supporting a carrier air wing with Super Hornets or any other modern aircraft.

India may be a country characterised by large contrasts but it's one of the 5 major economies in the world and is likely to become the 3rd largest in a few years. It can be debated if their resources should be spent on new carriers or on something else, in any case this is a country that is growing and want to play a big part in the affairs of that areas of the world

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

A country that can afford 500 combat aircraft should have no problem supporting a carrier air wing with Super Hornets or any other modern aircraft.

India may be a country characterised by large contrasts but it's one of the 5 major economies in the world and is likely to become the 3rd largest in a few years. It can be debated if their resources should be spent on new carriers or on something else, in any case this is a country that is growing and want to play a big part in the affairs of that areas of the world

On top of that it's a vast country with a long coastline, bordered by two powerful & not entirely friendly neighbours in China & Pakistan so many priorities for India should lie closer to home perhaps?

• Like 3